TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Deliveries - Anyone worried about Tent/Weld/Brake and Roll?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Chris350, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Chris350

Chris350 Member

Ok...

Today the Tesla stock is getting hammered due to all the FUD out there regarding the WS boys bashing Tesla....

As a boatload of us are set to receive cars in the next 3 week...

Is anyone worried about the quality of the car they expect to receive?

I mean.... Hearing about the elimination of 300 weld points, cars being built in a tent and elimination of the "brake and roll" tests does make me a tad nervous....

As my VIN shows a est manufacture date sometime in late May or early June, I just wonder where those activities might effect my new car...

Thoughts?

2. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

#2 MXWing, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    Anything comes up, Tesla will fix. No reason at this time to expect issues with certainty.

Gonna be hard to top this one if you want to be nervous.

Toyota "Unintended Acceleration" Has Killed 89 - CBS News

• Like x 4
  3. Tampaukfan

Tampaukfan Member

Dont worry, all will be ok.. LOL. Of course you should be concerned, buying car built in tent in parking lot that has not been run through a standard safety test.

[​IMG]

• Disagree x 3
    • Funny x 2
  4. sreams

sreams Member

I'm about as worried as I was for all of the other panicky stories that have emerged during Tesla's existence.

• Like x 4
  5. mtndrew1

mtndrew1 Member

• Love x 2
  6. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

It’ll be fine. All manufactures change their process. You just never hear about them. This is a case of knowing too much and worrying about nothing.

• Like x 5
  7. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

I wouldnt be worried about being built in a tent ...however if it was painted in a tent .....:eek:

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. strykeroz

strykeroz Member

Not worried because, I have absolutely no idea how many welds have been eliminated from my current or previous cars, and no idea of the testing regime they were put through. And until now it was never a subject of conversation for any manufacturer in the complete history of always.

Also, it's not a tent.

What a farking beat-up.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  9. davedavedave

davedavedave Member

At some point I expect to see Tesla’s doing the test themselves, with FSD or even a special factory mode. Then they’ll load themselves.

That said, I don’t think that most other manufacturers test each car on a track at all... never worried me before!

• Love x 1
  10. Fusion

Fusion Member

I love the "Tesla will fix it if there is a problem". How about making a product so there is less problems so you don't have to burn more cash in the process of having to fix it later. Doing it half ass and having to fix it later will cost them more in the long run. It's great to say hey we can build so many cars now, with the exception of quality control isn't a great thing to do.

• Disagree x 5
    • Like x 1
  11. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Well-Known Member

It’s not a tent it’s a Sprung structure used by lots of manufacturing companies like Boeing (yes, that plane you just flew on) and the test in question is redundant.

12. kengchang

kengchang Member

Are you going to worry about punctured cell as well? Might catch on fire!!!111

• Funny x 2
  13. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

IF

There is a pretty wide spectrum between "half-assed" and "immaculate".

Until we hear the feedback, I'm going to avoid projecting either of the two dichotomies.

What am I gonna do anyway? Skip past Tesla to BMW and get my perfect substitute of a vehicle?

• Like x 2
  14. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

I will embrace 'tent' as a term of endearment for my car.

IF I were to put an ugly bumper sticker on my car, the bumper sticker would read "Proudly made in a tent!".

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  15. Shygar

Shygar Member

I have a Pacifica Hybrid too and the software was just released last week. My van has a built in 4G LTE connection, but I have to drop it off to the dealer to have this done and it will take all day according to the service dept. Makes no sense. When will other dealers learn from Tesla? They basically have to force them to do stuff like this in the future.

16. IceAge

IceAge Member

No worries, the media likes to make everything Tesla doom and gloom.

17. J X 3

J X 3 Member

#17 J X 3, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    This test sounds like something you do to lower costs, fix certain issues before the vehicle is finished.
    So if a sufficiently high % of the cars pass it, the cost of the test can't be justified anymore as it's cheaper to rework what fails final quality checks than to waste time with this test. Ofc this assumes that there is a similar test for finished products.
    So this is likely the reason and what other reason could be? They wouldn't actively increase their own costs.
    Edit: there can also be other checks during production that cover this at least in part so they can be confident that very few would fail this test and, those that would fail, are found during final testing.Redundancy is wise but has a cost so too much of it is not a good thing.

• Like x 1
  18. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Probably never... Dealers demand this clause be in their dealer contracts so that they can force the manufacturer to force all of this through them so they can up-sell people and increase their revenues... Service now makes up the majority of a stealerships revenue stream these days...

Jeff

• Informative x 1
  19. smartypnz

smartypnz Supporting Member

Not a tent - but a used Good Year Blimp as it flies around San Francisco Bay. Saves on property taxes. At shift change, employees parachute to the ground.

• Funny x 1
  20. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

Not one bit. I have an early production X. Compared to it, Model 3 looks like a hyper mature perfection built machine. And even my X was much ado about nothing. A few painless trips to the service center with the best customer service I’ve ever experienced, nearly zero disruption to my regular schedule due to the free loaners, and it’s all good fixing the two or three actual issues I had.

• Like x 2