Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New delivery Date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my first sharing. I ordered a LRMY in about Dec. I have a new delivery date that moved up to May 19 to June 2. I expect it will be from Austin as I live in Miami. I’m hoping for a 4680 but whatever. I did not see any recent delivery dates that might come out of Austin so I thought some might be interested. I had an early M3 that I sold to fund the MY. When I get a vin # I show it if it’s from Austin.

This is my first sharing. I ordered a LRMY in about Dec. I have a new delivery date that moved up to May 19 to June 2. I expect it will be from Austin as I live in Miami. I’m hoping for a 4680 but whatever. I did not see any recent delivery dates that might come out of Austin so I thought some might be interested. I had an early M3 that I sold to fund the MY. When I get a vin # I show it if it’s from Austin.
You won’t be getting 4680 cells.

If you ordered a LR it will come from Freemont with the existing 2170 cells. Austin will make SR MY first and those are the only ones with 4680. Right now they aren’t available to the public. Those cars are being tested by Tesla employees. I would imagine it will be a while before they are available to the public. Even longer before they ramp enough to start making LR and P models with 4680.

Reactions: Thunder7ga
If you ordered a LR it will come from Freemont with the existing 2170 cells. Austin will make SR MY first and those are the only ones with 4680. Right now they aren’t available to the public. Those cars are being tested by Tesla employees. I would imagine it will be a while before they are available to the public. Even longer before they ramp enough to start making LR and P models with 4680.
you are probably right but as the expression goes Hope springs eternal. lol

Reactions: 240vPlug
First of all, thanks for everyone sharing their experiences. When most of the sales people at Tesla won't "speculate" but seem to have slightly different guidance as to what options I have next, I appreciate this forum even more. At the end of the day I have to keep my expectations in check. Teslas are in high demand, people are willing to pay more than a premium, and supply issues will cause what seems to be changes in the rules (and the models) almost day to day. That said, here's my experience...so far.

In late November 2021 I saw that if I ordered a LRMY my estimated delivery would be June/July 2022. Not in a hurry and hoping for Austin production to be ramped up by then I expected that because I live in Dallas, I'd get a 4680 MY. Less than 4 weeks later, I was assigned a VIN out of Fremont! The 11th digit was an "F". Thanks Rob Mauer for that nugget.

Asking around it seems my experience wasn't unique. Everyone I spoke to, in the same boat, we all had one thing in common. Full Self Driving. Now, I'm not complaining about the tactic, it's a smart business decision. Why not bump orders with FSD to the front of the line? It's an immediate $10K profit after all.

But I will also admit, this just made me want a 4680 MY even more when before I was okay if it was a 50/50 chance I'd get one. But now the clock was ticking. I rejected the VIN and opted for delaying my order as long as I could and see what Cyber Rodeo would reveal. You all saw what I saw. Standard Range Model Y's were the only ones being produced, and they were only delivered to employees. It would only be a matter of time, said an insider, and Tesla would try to entice LRMY Orderer's to a 279 mile 4680 MY, especially those living in/near Texas. And guess what just happened this week? As of this writing the Standard Range Model is still not available for order on the Tesla website. Is this one of those gum ball machines where you get an opaque egg and the prize inside is a secret?

Anyway, after my order delay expired in early Q1 2022, another VIN was assigned, so I called and told them my sob story, hoping to kick this can down the road a little farther. This resulted in about a 3 week delay, and then another VIN came in. Rinse and Repeat, with about a two to three week delay between new VINs. The "trick", if I can really call it that, was I was being asked TWO very specific questions each time. The first, "Would you like to reject this VIN?", to which I would say "Yes" and also had to later confirm a Text message. The second, "Do you wish to cancel this order?" To which I would say "No". Since December, I've been offered 5 VINs. In some cases they would state that if I rejected the VIN I take a chance on my order being cancelled and losing my $250 deposit. This is a $70K car, I don't care (now) about $250. I think I want what I want, and I'm willing to wait for it. But the "trick", it appeared, was I had to overtly say "I am rejecting this VIN, but I am not cancelling my order". Until yesterday.

The "gentleman" I spoke to yesterday has obviously had his fill of guys like me. "Geeks and 4680 fan boys". But it started with the same story. I told him my June/July expectation of a 4680 LRMY. He told me I could reject the VIN, which I did. He told me the order may auto cancel, which I said I'm not cancelling but I'm okay with whatever happens. But then Ground Hog Day changed.

He specifically said "I can't speculate but I can tell you this. IF YOU WANT A 4680 MODEL Y OUT OF AUSTIN, THAT IS A DIFFERENT PRODUCT AND YOU NEED TO CANCEL YOUR CURRENT ORDER AND THEN ORDER THAT CAR INSTEAD." I capitalized that bit not because he was shouting, but because he was very specific with his words, which I made him repeat. I then asked him two questions. "Is that 4680 MY out of Austin a Long Range?" and "Where can order that car right now?" He refused to answer, falling back on the "Is there anything else I can do for you?" several times trying to end the call. In the end he could tell that his trying to talk me in circles resulted in me talking him in circles ending with questions he could not or would not answer. After one more round of my questions and this back and forth he cut me off mid-sentence with a "Thank you for calling Tesla" and he hung up.

Now you're probably thinking I'm angry. Quite the contrary. Those who lose their cool, lose the war. To reiterate: I'm not in a hurry and I think I'll wait until they realize I don't care about the price or my deposit and that I'm willing to wait to get what I want. And by the way, my company plans on leasing 3 Model Y's and 2 Cyber Trucks for our business. So, at the end of the day, this is really more of a test of their Service, and less about the car.

I do realize this has become some sort of sad game but if there are unpublished loopholes they are keeping from us, that I have accidentally stumbled upon, and that I can utilize, then why not? If they're going to imply that LRMY's coming out of Austin are the same as the LRMY's coming out of Fremont, the only difference being batteries and giga press front/back ends, then for most people who don't geek out on what cells are used give them whichever is most convenient for Tesla. But for those of us who do care what's in the battery pack, they should do whatever they can do, including being honest about what it will take, and try to get us what we want. And not because I'm buying 5 more cars next year.

Tell you what Tesla, if you put a LRMY, 330+ mile range, with 4680's, built in Austin, that's Blue with a Black interior, with FSD, on the website... I'll order that right now and cancel the other order. And you can keep bumping the delivery date until it's ready.

Thanks and good luck to everyone else. ;-)