Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Delivery - Issues with bad buff swirl marks.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys. Picked up my new black MYP in Michigan a couple days ago. Weather wasn’t too sunny so I didn’t notice the horrible buff marks. They are on all major fenders and nearly the whole truck. Looks like they tried to polish in a rush and just left shinny marks. You can only see them in direct sunlight but they are obvious.

I caught this in my first 24 hours and scheduled a service appointment which is in a couple weeks.

Will this be an easy issue for them to fix? I don’t know much about paint. I’m assuming they tried to wax the car or something in a hurry. I’m attaching some pics, it’s more obvious in person.

Thanks for reading.
306CFBD1-BC29-423E-B43B-E0380142C74E.jpeg
76830CD8-2805-4184-AD80-9231BE0A8485.jpeg

If they try to send it to Cauley Ferarri in Farmington I would think twice. They repaired my Model Y and did a piss poor job, I still have to take it back for a third time to fix issues they left. There is a certified shop in Ann Arbor which might be a better option for you, I don't believe Clarkston will do any body work but unsure about paint and buffing. Good luck, any issues I've had have taken a bit of elbow grease to have addressed by the Clarkston location.

Hi Guys. Picked up my new black MYP in Michigan a couple days ago. Weather wasn’t too sunny so I didn’t notice the horrible buff marks. They are on all major fenders and nearly the whole truck. Looks like they tried to polish in a rush and just left shinny marks. You can only see them in direct sunlight but they are obvious.

I caught this in my first 24 hours and scheduled a service appointment which is in a couple weeks.

Will this be an easy issue for them to fix? I don’t know much about paint. I’m assuming they tried to wax the car or something in a hurry. I’m attaching some pics, it’s more obvious in person.

Thanks for reading.
View attachment 820456View attachment 820457
This looks like a 12 year old tried to use a buffer and did not use the proper technique which caused the 'buffer trails'. It is easily corrected by someone who knows how to use a buffer the correct way. I am willing to bet there are 'pig tails' in your paint as well if the buffer trails are this bad.

This looks like a 12 year old tried to use a buffer and did not use the proper technique which caused the 'buffer trails'. It is easily corrected by someone who knows how to use a buffer the correct way. I am willing to bet there are 'pig tails' in your paint as well if the buffer trails are this bad.
It’s pretty surprising how obvious and amateur it looks when sun light hits the main parts of the car. Looks like Vaseline smears on my car.

This is brand new?

Tesla subs out all bodywork, some shops are better than others. Keep adding items as you find them to your ticket. They'll look at about half of them, you'll have to make a 2nd claim.
Yes it’s brand new.
If they try to send it to Cauley Ferarri in Farmington I would think twice. They repaired my Model Y and did a piss poor job, I still have to take it back for a third time to fix issues they left. There is a certified shop in Ann Arbor which might be a better option for you, I don't believe Clarkston will do any body work but unsure about paint and buffing. Good luck, any issues I've had have taken a bit of elbow grease to have addressed by the Clarkston location.
I picked up the car from clarkston. And that’s where I scheduled my first service. They accepted the appointment after reviewing it so I’m assuming they will address it. But searching about this more I’ve read that it probably won’t be addressed with making it completely go away.

I have a guy who said he will polish and buff out the whole car for $350 if they can’t do it nice enough.

Fingers crossed.

Yes it’s brand new.

I picked up the car from clarkston. And that’s where I scheduled my first service. They accepted the appointment after reviewing it so I’m assuming they will address it. But searching about this more I’ve read that it probably won’t be addressed with making it completely go away.

I have a guy who said he will polish and buff out the whole car for $350 if they can’t do it nice enough.

Fingers crossed.
What happened