Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Delivery! Keys? Charging Cable, Adapters?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today is in theory, my pickup day of a new, 2020 S Long Range. What should I verify is in the car? I've not been able to figure out what it comes with for charging accessories. Do these have CCS adapters? ChaDEmo adapters? J1772 > Tesla adapters? I assume no owners manual since it's on screen. One key or two?

Thanks in advance!

Dave aka Ghan

• Two keys.
  • Mobile charging cable - I think it now only comes with a NEMA 5-15 adapter for charging at 120v@12amps (regular US household socket). You may need to buy additional adapter(s) if you want to charge at 240v.
  • One J1772 Adapter

No CCS or ChaDEmo. You can buy a ChaDEmo adapter, but these days it's not really needed unless you travel to Canada a lot where it's more common.

Reactions: X Fan
Have them show you how to close the frunk without denting the hood, and how to release it if you forget to open it after releasing it, as it will be locked partially open. Also, how to manually emergency release frunk if your battery dies so you can get to the battery. Frunk is scary in that it can damage hood easily closing it, and it can get stuck closed or partially open.

If it doesn’t come with the car anymore, you should buy a 14-50 adapter. That will plug into a 14-50 receptacle at any place that has a 14-50 service available. You should put in a 50 amp service at home if you can for everyday charging. $500 for a Tesla wall charger is well spent if you can put it in the budget. A CHAdeMO is $450. I used mine when I lived in a place with only CHAdeMO. In the 3years I have lived on the mainland,I have never used it. I don’t know anyone who has ever used the j1772 adapter. I just finished a 800 mile trip with three 30 min Supercharger stops. Far more convenient than any other choice. You will find that you need to do a bit of extra planning on trips, but that trip just took 13 hours and I’m 80 years old. Ps....Navigate will plan the whole route including how long to charge if you use it

Last edited:
Hey folks, Thanks for all the replies! I can confirm, 2 keys, 1 charger cable, 1 wall adapter for that to the standard US 110v socket and the J1772 adapter, which I officially used the very first time I got home. I already have a Juicebox Pro 40 on a 50amp circuit from my 2018 Leaf I had prior. Definitely will be buying the 14-50 adapter!

Hey folks, Thanks for all the replies! I can confirm, 2 keys, 1 charger cable, 1 wall adapter for that to the standard US 110v socket and the J1772 adapter, which I officially used the very first time I got home. I already have a Juicebox Pro 40 on a 50amp circuit from my 2018 Leaf I had prior. Definitely will be buying the 14-50 adapter!

If you already have a L2 EVSE at home you can use that with the J1772 adapter without issue. That is how I've been charging my Tesla since I got it (previously owned a Chevy Volt) although I do plan on installing a wall charger when and if I purchase a second Tesla. The Juicebox should charge at the same rate as the Tesla Mobile Charger with a 14-50 adapter (~24 miles of range per hour).

One point of note for the J1772 adapter it to press AND HOLD the release button on the charge plug until the ring around the charging port turns white otherwise the J1772 adapter will not release from the car. It drove me crazy the first few times when I first got my Tesla until I figured out how to properly get it to release.

Congrats and enjoy the new ride!

One point of note for the J1772 adapter it to press AND HOLD the release button on the charge plug until the ring around the charging port turns white otherwise the J1772 adapter will not release from the car. It drove me crazy the first few times when I first got my Tesla until I figured out how to properly get it to release.

Yep, this TOTALLY got me too! HAHA! You almost have to press it wait a moment for light ring games, then it works!