Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Delivery LR - No Updates for 3+ Weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my car about 3 weeks ago and during that time it has been on WiFi at home with 3 bars, but I'm still on 2021.3.103 that it was delivered with which seems to be quite a few versions old at this point. I tried reaching out to their chat and they basically just said that it is up to date, which seems a little odd. Is this a typical scenario? I believe I saw a post with someone in a similar-ish situation a few years back. Is this just a wait it out and an update will come at some point scenario?

Any input is appreciated.

100% normal for several reasons.

#1: new cars usually take a few weeks to get their first update.

#2: we’ve been in a “lull” with software updates. Tesla has been heads down with implementing “Tesla Vision” as well as keeping up with new controller chips etc to work around the global chip shortage. This has slowed down larger software releases.

#3: not all cars get every software release, and not all at the same time.

In other words, just hold on and be patient. It’ll happen. Promise!

PS - congratulations on the new car! I hope you love yours as much as I love mine.

I really appreciate your response, deep down I figured that's what the answer was - I guess I'll have to learn how to exercise this whole 'patience' thing.

Thanks for the congrats as well, the wait for the car was trying but ever since it was delivered it is almost all I think about - it really is an incredible experience and when the software updates roll in I'm sure it will just incredible.....er.

PS. I'm sorry about Buster, he looks like he was quite the distinguished gentleman.

Reactions: dmurphy
I took delivery of my car about 3 weeks ago and during that time it has been on WiFi at home with 3 bars, but I'm still on 2021.3.103 that it was delivered with which seems to be quite a few versions old at this point. I tried reaching out to their chat and they basically just said that it is up to date, which seems a little odd. Is this a typical scenario? I believe I saw a post with someone in a similar-ish situation a few years back. Is this just a wait it out and an update will come at some point scenario?

Any input is appreciated.

Technically, you could say you are around 35 updates behind. But it's not really that bad. Most people are still on 4.18.2, which is about 20 more than you. But no one gets every single update. It's usually every 5-10 updates, so you're really only 2-3 updates behind.

Not much interesting has happened in those couple of updates, so don't get too excited about getting one. When I got my car, it took around month to get the first update, and so many cool things had come out that I didn't have that it made it painful to wait since I was wanting to show everyone the cool things it could do if I had the update.

Always remember that Tesla is a hot mess with their internal IT and customer service, and you'll be a much happier customer. They will get around to entering your car in their system when they are good and ready.

Reactions: spookz
You need cell coverage too to get updates, even if you have WiFi.

I have good coverage here, I don't see that as an issue - but thanks for the heads up

Technically, you could say you are around 35 updates behind. But it's not really that bad. Most people are still on 4.18.2, which is about 20 more than you. But no one gets every single update. It's usually every 5-10 updates, so you're really only 2-3 updates behind.

Not much interesting has happened in those couple of updates, so don't get too excited about getting one. When I got my car, it took around month to get the first update, and so many cool things had come out that I didn't have that it made it painful to wait since I was wanting to show everyone the cool things it could do if I had the update.

Always remember that Tesla is a hot mess with their internal IT and customer service, and you'll be a much happier customer. They will get around to entering your car in their system when they are good and ready.

The only thing (at least that I'm aware of) that I'd like is the increase of the lane keep to 80mph, mine is capped at 75.

Reactions: Grindy2424
I really appreciate your response, deep down I figured that's what the answer was - I guess I'll have to learn how to exercise this whole 'patience' thing.

Thanks for the congrats as well, the wait for the car was trying but ever since it was delivered it is almost all I think about - it really is an incredible experience and when the software updates roll in I'm sure it will just incredible.....er.

PS. I'm sorry about Buster, he looks like he was quite the distinguished gentleman.

I'm glad you're so happy with the car! I feel much the same way - 2 1/2 years in with Model 3, and I'm still enamored with it. It's truly the first car I've ever had this long where I'm not thinking "what car comes next?" The wait truly is worth the reward.

And yes -- the software updates can sometimes be like opening a present at Christmas! Sometimes they're just bugfixes (which is good) -- but when it has some nifty new feature, you'll really, really appreciate the entire architecture. It's unlike any vehicle that's come before!

Thank you for your kind words - we lost Buster suddenly on Fathers Day. He's kinda been my mascot/persona/avatar/whathaveyou in so many places; as you said, quite the distinguished fellow. Much better to look at than my ugly mug. That said - sometimes the universe does some funny things. We had reached out to Buster's breeder to let them know of his passing, and as it turns out, his mother's sister just had a litter... We had the opportunity to bring home Buster's first cousin. So please let me introduce Miss Daisy!

A4B6D5E1-D56E-4071-87C9-053DEA1C0B15.jpeg

I took delivery of my car about 3 weeks ago and during that time it has been on WiFi at home with 3 bars, but I'm still on 2021.3.103 that it was delivered with which seems to be quite a few versions old at this point.

I believe there are two options for getting updates: Standard (slower) or Advanced (faster). Have you checked your settings?

Advanced, I guess, brings with it a bit of risk...if Tesla pushed out an update with a bad bug. Advanced means being a beta tester? But I chose Advanced on my Model 3.

I believe there are two options for getting updates: Standard (slower) or Advanced (faster). Have you checked your settings?

Advanced, I guess, brings with it a bit of risk...if Tesla pushed out an update with a bad bug. Advanced means being a beta tester? But I chose Advanced on my Model 3.

Ya, I have it set over to Advanced.

I'm glad you're so happy with the car! I feel much the same way - 2 1/2 years in with Model 3, and I'm still enamored with it. It's truly the first car I've ever had this long where I'm not thinking "what car comes next?" The wait truly is worth the reward.

And yes -- the software updates can sometimes be like opening a present at Christmas! Sometimes they're just bugfixes (which is good) -- but when it has some nifty new feature, you'll really, really appreciate the entire architecture. It's unlike any vehicle that's come before!

Thank you for your kind words - we lost Buster suddenly on Fathers Day. He's kinda been my mascot/persona/avatar/whathaveyou in so many places; as you said, quite the distinguished fellow. Much better to look at than my ugly mug. That said - sometimes the universe does some funny things. We had reached out to Buster's breeder to let them know of his passing, and as it turns out, his mother's sister just had a litter... We had the opportunity to bring home Buster's first cousin. So please let me introduce Miss Daisy!

View attachment 690516

During the test drive I remember have a pretty distinct feeling of this is the first time I've felt like driving is "different" in 25 years of driving. Sure, you get some different spectrums of ICEs as you move up in price, as technology advances, etc. but at the end of the day the driving experience always felt effectively the same. Push skinny pedal, roar, delay, go - in some fashion. This was the first car I've ever driven that ever shook that model at all - to me the 1-pedal driving is worth the price of admission in and of itself, it just makes so much sense. The instant-on performance, of course, is the icing on the cake. I think that is going to lead to some sticking power with me as well as I just can't see moving back to ICE anytime soon so that "what's next" itch will definitely be delayed quite a while - and of course, when you factor in updates on top that, I imagine it can certainly help satiate that.

And, more importantly, that might be the single cutest doggo pic I've seen in my life. I hope you have many, many great years driving Miss Daisy (sorry I couldn't help it).

Ya, I have it set over to Advanced.
There has been zero evidence that this does anything (yet). Lots of reports on here with multiple Tesla households where one car is set to standard and one to advanced, and sometimes the "standard" car gets the updates first (even with identical model 3's).

it's not to say they won't use it at some point in the future, but for now, all evidence points to that setting not changing anything.

There has been zero evidence that this does anything (yet). Lots of reports on here with multiple Tesla households where one car is set to standard and one to advanced, and sometimes the "standard" car gets the updates first (even with identical model 3's).

it's not to say they won't use it at some point in the future, but for now, all evidence points to that setting not changing anything.

Ya, I've seen that mentioned in a couple of places, I'm sure the batch of VINs they push to trumps pretty much everything.