Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New delivery MY differences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was just wondering anyone who has received their MY in the latest deliveries. Have you noticed any subtle or major differences. Ive just watched a video comparing a Berlin MYP and MY LR from Shanghai. The MYP had a parcel shelf, also the front of the rear wheel arches beside rear seats are carpeted rather than hard plastic, glove box has softer opening, improved speakers and the biggest difference is the suspension has been softened so the ride is better.
I just wondered whether these changes have appeared on the latest deliveries from Shanghai.

Reactions: Alan J
Have seen the same video

Link for anyone else interested.

It would be fantastic to see Shanghai take onboard some of these updates, especially the suspension. Not very well versed in production lines but maybe there's a quick refit after each Q?

🙏

Given the general consensus of the UK reviews, that the ride was the weak point of the Y, I’m amazed Tesla aren’t making it clear if they’ve updated the suspension. I know they don’t really do marketing but……

Reactions: VX Foxy
Unfortunately it's going to be hard for owners to confirm one way or the other. I enjoyed the RSymons video but I think I'd want to see other reviewers testing actual UK delivered cars on typical surfaces before drawing conclusions that Tesla have actually made changes to it. For all we know the market that specific car was intended for has different suspension settings for whatever reason.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Given the general consensus of the UK reviews, that the ride was the weak point of the Y, I’m amazed Tesla aren’t making it clear if they’ve updated the suspension. I know they don’t really do marketing but……
I own a Shanghai-built model Y LR with very stiff, crashy suspension. I test drove a Berlin-built model Y performance and even on uberturbine wheels, the ride is noticeably better. I ordered one straight away

I own a Shanghai-built model Y LR with very stiff, crashy suspension. I test drove a Berlin-built model Y performance and even on uberturbine wheels, the ride is noticeably better. I ordered one straight away
I wonder if this new suspension set up is, or will be, rolled out to MIC LRs?
I test drove a LR and was so put off by the ride I ordered a M3LR. But if it’s fixed I’d change my order to a Y…..

I wonder if this new suspension set up is, or will be, rolled out to MIC LRs?
I test drove a LR and was so put off by the ride I ordered a M3LR. But if it’s fixed I’d change my order to a Y…..
Berlin has unique suppliers, Hitachi automotive supply the shock absorbers to Grunheide. Considering the efforts that have gone into improvements in cabin noise, it seems likely this is the first material change by Tesla to address the criticism of the Model Y’s ride. The ride was still firm and extremely composed when cornering, but road imperfections that unsettled my MIC MYLR were no problem in the Berlin MYP. It was significant enough of an improvement for me to take the plunge

The Berlin Y has an extra airbag in the drivers seat. On the left and right side. Spotted this in the latest user manual.

Attachments

• 12BEB85B-F75D-4650-B1E0-351406B31730.jpeg
    12BEB85B-F75D-4650-B1E0-351406B31730.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 193
The Berlin Y has an extra airbag in the drivers seat. On the left and right side. Spotted this in the latest user manual.
That's really interesting...

Anyone know why?

I'm not sure I like the fact that there is a growing disparity in spec between different factories and month to month (complications) but that's Tesla I guess.

I doubt about the suspension story. I spoke to custom tesla during supercharged regarding sound proofing and he actively tried to sell a third party suspension upgrade he had made to his car. Ok, I definitely do not know if it was the same car in the video, but worth checking a few more sources or looking for part number changes before assuming anything.

That's really interesting...

Anyone know why?

I'm not sure I like the fact that there is a growing disparity in spec between different factories and month to month (complications) but that's Tesla I guess.
I think the main reason for having a central airbag is to help in side impacts so you don't clash with your passenger. I also spotted the cars for the South Korean market get knee airbags, but from what I can tell the rest of the world doesn't have these. For a brand that talks about safety a lot it's a shame they're not making these things a global standard.

Unfortunately it's going to be hard for owners to confirm one way or the other. I enjoyed the RSymons video but I think I'd want to see other reviewers testing actual UK delivered cars on typical surfaces before drawing conclusions that Tesla have actually made changes to it. For all we know the market that specific car was intended for has different suspension settings for whatever reason.
I think the main reason for having a central airbag is to help in side impacts so you don't clash with your passenger. I also spotted the cars for the South Korean market get knee airbags, but from what I can tell the rest of the world doesn't have these. For a brand that talks about safety a lot it's a shame they're not making these things a global standard.

Will be interesting to see if confirmation of this (from general consensus or Tesla themselves) gives rise to complaints from current owners.

Personally I've never had any issues with the suspension in terms of comfort and like that the car doesn't roll at all so it doesn't irk me at all that they may be changing this fundamentally on newer cars, but to some it might.

I doubt about the suspension story. I spoke to custom tesla during supercharged regarding sound proofing and he actively tried to sell a third party suspension upgrade he had made to his car. Ok, I definitely do not know if it was the same car in the video, but worth checking a few more sources or looking for part number changes before assuming anything.
sorry but, what? there is no suspension change “story”, I have driven the cars myself, the suspension has changed in the Berlin MYP. Tesla sometimes soft announce new features like the heat pump, they never announce part updates/improvements. See the end of this review from Bjørn Nyland, one of many recent videos in which he discusses the updated suspension of the Model Y Performance.

Although I have seen several posts both here and on Facebook about the suspension being softened, I've yet to see this confirmed.

My Model Y LR was collected 30/6, so is one of the latest batch just having arrived on these shores. I've therefore taken a photo of the front and rear dampers - hopefully, somebody with a March car can do the same and we can see whether the part numbers match / differ.

Attachments

• Front.JPG
    Front.JPG
    244.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 96
People are comparing a MYP with a MYLR built in different factories and where the P has a different config. It's mentioned both on the Tesla website and if you dig into the build codes. It's personal taste which you prefer but they are different, as are the wheel size and tyre make and size. It's not surprising they feel different but I suspect this has much more to do with model differences than factory differences.

People are comparing a MYP with a MYLR built in different factories and where the P has a different config. It's mentioned both on the Tesla website and if you dig into the build codes. It's personal taste which you prefer but they are different, as are the wheel size and tyre make and size. It's not surprising they feel different but I suspect this has much more to do with model differences than factory differences.
I agree to a point although in theory, a Performance should be more firm than a LR. However, some people are saying that the MYLR's delivered last month have softer suspension that the LR model they took for a test drive.

Personally, I'm not noticing much difference and I prefer a firm set-up.

Although I have seen several posts both here and on Facebook about the suspension being softened, I've yet to see this confirmed.

My Model Y LR was collected 30/6, so is one of the latest batch just having arrived on these shores. I've therefore taken a photo of the front and rear dampers - hopefully, somebody with a March car can do the same and we can see whether the part numbers match / differ.
Only took the front but it looks exactly the same part number (I took a few pictures but they all a bit dirty)

E628E63F-0316-4CDB-9EF1-285A26346D12.jpeg

Reactions: Toblerone