Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New delivery MY differences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree to a point although in theory, a Performance should be more firm than a LR. However, some people are saying that the MYLR's delivered last month have softer suspension that the LR model they took for a test drive.

Personally, I'm not noticing much difference and I prefer a firm set-up.
Posted the picture of my suspension above. It’s probably all down to tyre pressures and Tesla being terrible at setting them. It’s what annoys me about some of these YouTube reviews, they’ve no idea, say things that generate a load of interest but aren’t really based on a lot of fact or they ignore the obvious. It’s a fair question as to why the Performance seems to ride better than the LR, but some of the reviewers have that as the factory and not the model when they’ve no real clue

Thanks George.

I can't make out the part number in the photo but working on the basis it is the same as you mention, then that answers the question in my mind that the suspension is unchanged as Tesla would have needed to change the part number.

Although I have seen several posts both here and on Facebook about the suspension being softened, I've yet to see this confirmed.

My Model Y LR was collected 30/6, so is one of the latest batch just having arrived on these shores. I've therefore taken a photo of the front and rear dampers - hopefully, somebody with a March car can do the same and we can see whether the part numbers match / differ.
Still MIC so I'd be surprised if there is any difference at all.

Was going to post a pic, but George beat me to it. Same part number on my Feb Y LR.

sorry but, what? there is no suspension change “story”, I have driven the cars myself, the suspension has changed in the Berlin MYP. Tesla sometimes soft announce new features like the heat pump, they never announce part updates/improvements. See the end of this review from Bjørn Nyland, one of many recent videos in which he discusses the updated suspension of the Model Y Performance.
Even I posted here that the car feels different after the AB upgrade. There is currently no confirmed evidence that the suspension was indeed changed or whether the AB upgrade does anything to the comfort.

Was just wondering anyone who has received their MY in the latest deliveries. Have you noticed any subtle or major differences. Ive just watched a video comparing a Berlin MYP and MY LR from Shanghai. The MYP had a parcel shelf, also the front of the rear wheel arches beside rear seats are carpeted rather than hard plastic, glove box has softer opening, improved speakers and the biggest difference is the suspension has been softened so the ride is better.
I just wondered whether these changes have appeared on the latest deliveries from Shanghai.
Hi there, I just picked up MY (made in Shanghai) on 30th June 2022 and I think the suspension is softer than the two model Y's I test drove for an hour each in May. All had 19 inch tyres. It also has a parcel shelf. Front of wheel arches is still plastic. Couldn't say whether the glove box and speakers have been improved but glove box does open very smoothly and sound system is great. Moving position of garage so can't install wall charger yet but just plugging into an ordinary socket adds 9 miles an hour to battery, so overnight off-peak charging adds 90 miles, which is more than I was expecting.

Reactions: Hungry Horace
There are 10 different part numbers for front suspension on the German EPC. Notably there are ones marked as "PERF", suggesting the Berlin MYP has different suspension to the LR. There are 5 listed for the rear - again, with a couple marked as "PERF".

The UK EPC only lists 2 part numbers for the front (LH and RH) and 1 for the rear, suggesting MIC MYs all have the same suspension.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-06 at 16.44.07.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-06 at 16.44.07.png
    172.8 KB · Views: 136
  • Screenshot 2022-07-06 at 16.45.19.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-06 at 16.45.19.png
    149.4 KB · Views: 92
The plot thickens!

There is a post on Facebook stating that the upper arm is different on the latest cars and that the coil spring has a different part number.

This is a photo showing my OSF spring and the part number 1188064 is different compared to the parts diagram above. My upper arm is made of aluminium but the Facebook post suggest the first batch of Model Y used pressed steel and different bushes.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-07 171733.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-07-07 171733.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 86
I dont know anything about the parts used but I can say I have zero issues with the way this new MYLR rides.

I also can't help but think if it was any softer it would feel a bit like a pudding in corners at higher speed. It already feeds a little loose in the corners. I know its a lot taller than my MS but it already feels very different and seems to have a softer ride, although I have 21" wheels on the MS.

Reactions: Toblerone
The plot thickens!

There is a post on Facebook stating that the upper arm is different on the latest cars and that the coil spring has a different part number.

This is a photo showing my OSF spring and the part number 1188064 is different compared to the parts diagram above. My upper arm is made of aluminium but the Facebook post suggest the first batch of Model Y used pressed steel and different bushes.
There are also a range of parts revisions for the springs, dampers and control arms that are being discussed by Americans over on the model Y section.

I don't know which version Shanghai were or are now using, but it does tell us categorically that at least in the states, there have been parts revisions and some customers have gone and had stiffer or softer setups fitted by using a different revision of the spring or damper - mainly on the rear.

Edit: this is basically what @Durzel said on Wednesday. 😚

Although I have seen several posts both here and on Facebook about the suspension being softened, I've yet to see this confirmed.

My Model Y LR was collected 30/6, so is one of the latest batch just having arrived on these shores. I've therefore taken a photo of the front and rear dampers - hopefully, somebody with a March car can do the same and we can see whether the part numbers match / differ.
Remind me in a couple of weeks and i'll check my dampers as they're in the garage and i'm off to Germany tomorrow. The MPP coilovers i have on are sublime on the motorway, very smooth indeed

Hi there, I just picked up MY (made in Shanghai) on 30th June 2022 and I think the suspension is softer than the two model Y's I test drove for an hour each in May. All had 19 inch tyres. It also has a parcel shelf. Front of wheel arches is still plastic. Couldn't say whether the glove box and speakers have been improved but glove box does open very smoothly and sound system is great. Moving position of garage so can't install wall charger yet but just plugging into an ordinary socket adds 9 miles an hour to battery, so overnight off-peak charging adds 90 miles, which is more than I was expecting.
No changes reported to the suspension on any MiC long range cars.

Reactions: ovidiux