Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've been drinking the Kool-Aid too long, if we've convinced ourselves Tesla paint jobs are on par with Mercedes, BMW, and Audi's. It just ain't so.
My 2006 Mazda's MX-5 paint job is way better then on my $60K 2018 MCR 3D. Had to have my hood and bumper repainted after delivery to fix dust nibs, and then spent $ hundred more having my detailer correct the rest. Sure Tesla covered the paint job, but it should never have been delivered in that condition.
I'd hoped Tesla would have figured out how to paint by now, but they're still delivering bad paint jobs.

Tesla solution...discourage customers from rejecting cars at delivery, by not allowing them to order a replacement for 12 months:mad:.

Wrong. We have been using too strong LSD. We should step up for these issues. ;)

These same paint issues is happening now in: GLOBALLY everywhere

This is because bad paint defect on factory.

Tesla Model S,X,3 owners worldwide with paint issues

upload_2019-10-22_21-7-27.png

See my collections of tesla paint issues.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=alNDUmRmb0plb3hMOHZSU0wtaHBYbUV1RWloZmx3

See our global complaint:

Consumer advocacy service

See sources:

Finnish Tesla Model 3 Inspection Reveals Soft, Thin, Under-Spec Paint

Impressed By The Finnish Tesla Model 3 Paint Problems? Hold My Beer
Model 3 paint wearing off
Chipped paint cleaning my car
Model 3 Scratches All Over And What Tesla's Tech Said
Is #TeslaPaintIssues the next headline hurdle for Tesla? - Grit Daily
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-model-3-nextmove-german-cancels-order/
http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/wiki/tesla-model-3-paint-issues/
https://drivetribe.com/p/the-all-ne...ifLhTvCl-vUnQZjYlg?iid=FdFY2T0YQTi4CtRqCmMq0g
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/electric/this-might-be-the-worst-tesla-model-3-weve-ever-seen/
http://www.rightfootdown.com/automotive-news/tesla-model-3-has-rust-issues/
https://www.businessinsider.com/tes...ed-by-nextmove-repair-issues-2019-8?r=US&IR=T
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...ch-ones-would-you-ask-to-be-corrected.158139/

My twitter:

https://twitter.com/Savolainen_J

+ i have more ( about 60-100 news papers telling the quality stories on paint & fit finish. )

upload_2019-10-16_20-25-15-png.466777

upload_2019-10-16_20-25-34-png.466778

See my car after 10.000 km. C'moon wtf?

See Brent Chaisson car:

See some guy car from usa.

• Informative
Reactions: dchobo
I had extremely sloppy seam sealer all around the trunk on one of mine. Waay worse than OP. Some you could see on the edge with the trunk closed. I made them fix it. I'd be 'fine' with OP's issue, just annoyed and move on. Attention to detail is not there. They get the hard stuff right with the motors, batteries, software, but screw up on the stuff the legacy automakers worked out long ago with fit and finish.

I did leave it!... Just wondering if it's an easy job where it can be sanded out... if not, no biggie... everyone knows that Tesla's paint job is pretty subpar and cheap, here it from someone who owns it for over a year...
but wrapping it or xpel ceramic coat will prolly help protect it:

Reactions: Johnii__82
I want to know how many of you inspected the paint on the inside trunk surface of your Corollas before you bought your Model 3.

For some people who previously drove a Corolla (or similar) and is moving up to a Tesla, which costs at the very least twice as much, have the right to inspect IMO if the car is known to have issues from others' experiences.

Hello guys! New to the forum (First post) and also just received delivery of my Model P3D! (first time buying a new car as well!)

I bet there are definitely a handful of Tesla owners who see issues with their paint job being unfinished or sloppy in areas like under the trunk, obscure area etc. when they first take delivery...

I took it back to service/delivery center for other fit and finish issues but they could not do anything with the paint or at least this one since this issue is considered "body work".

I still have no real complaints with Tesla because of the awesome car and what we're getting for the money. I am fully aware of the fit and finish qualities of these cars and they have done their best to make things right.

In this particular case, I wondering if I could just go to a body work place and just have them sand it off. Kind iffy doing so with a brand new car.
From our experience all Teslas have the same paint issues even Model X for some reason Tesla does not fix it. However, the situation with unlevelled panels are much better compare to 2-3 years ago.

I don't get it. Yes there paint jobs are sub par, but why aren't they at least consistent.
Don't they robotically paint the cars?
My 2018 MCR 3D problem were more to deal with paint line contamination, then unpainted areas.

I was going to ask the same question. Isn't the painting of the cars done with robots? It would be terribly inefficient as well as inconsistent to do it by hand unless you took your sweet time and employed the very best painters.

Teslas' are not painted by hand .... at least that is what a recent Tesla video of the assembly line showed.

If Tesla managers are deliberately applying inferior paint .... it's a foolish decision.
And now, there are video articles on YouTube regarding shoddy paint. Once public confidence (and loyalty) are lost .... it's difficult to get it back. And, it's not just paint .... the overall QC appears to be lacking.

Other threads discuss the China Tesla. Early indications are the paint and QC are far superior to our "Made in California" vehicles.

Teslas' are not painted by hand .... at least that is what a recent Tesla video of the assembly line showed.

If Tesla managers are deliberately applying inferior paint .... it's a foolish decision.
And now, there are video articles on YouTube regarding shoddy paint. Once public confidence (and loyalty) are lost .... it's difficult to get it back. And, it's not just paint .... the overall QC appears to be lacking.

Other threads discuss the China Tesla. Early indications are the paint and QC are far superior to our "Made in California" vehicles.
every assembly video of every non-boutique car ive seen is robot painted.

the fact that some hinges and joints and interior surfaces are not fully painted, indicates the paint progrmaming was trimmed back to save time. probably in production rush.

Hi guys,

I´m new here, but I´d like to share my experience after discovering the very poor quality of the painting of my Model 3. After one year of using the car I noticed more and more spots where the painting was getting off. After going a few times to the store in Malmö (Sweden), they asked me to book an appointment to check the car. The day after, I received a message asking me what was the problem with the painting. I had to go there once again to show them all the marks I found. First, the person that was checking the car told me that there were no technicians by that time so I had to come back later on. I explained that I had received a message from them to go there….and she said “I don´t know who send you that message”….My god…really??? The two people taking a look at the car looked like pissed as well (I´m wondering why?)

By the way, after a few minutes with the “technician”, he decided that was due to stone chips due to normal use. I disagreed, since no car with one year of use could be so deteriorated, unless the quality of the painting is really bad!

Besides all of the time I spent going there, they have cancelled the appointment to check the car

CONCLUTION:

I was expecting much more from Tesla and their service and customer support. At least, providing any kind of workaround to solve the problem, not just saying “Go to our body shop in Malmö and fix it”.

I´ve been always a big fan of Tesla but It is definitely not the kind of customer service you expect from a “Luxurious” and big company. Very disappointed!

TESLA has lost a customer!

Best regards,

Because of California regulations. Bastards.....

Not sure if I'm missing some sarcasm, so apologies if so, but is this actually a reason the paint quality is worse? I can't imagine that California standards are harsher than the EU as far as paint chemistry or pollution allowances. Again, I could be wrong here, but I'd be much more inclined to blame Tesla's processes than regulation. To me, the variability in the paint confirms this.

Auto plants in the EU have been using water based paints since the 90's. I am not sure about any other differences in regs, but that can easily be Googled. The EU has taken serious measures regarding climate change, so I would not be surprised if their regs were as stringent as California. Those manufacturers have been painting cars for a long time. As I recall, the most important part of painting a car is the prep, and if that's not done properly, the paint will have problems. My assumption is that Tesla was under pressure to get the 3 out into the marketplace. The processes were not optimal, and they have probably been improved, but not enough.