Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Delivery Process Coming w/Model 3 Rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lost in yesterday's excitement about Tesla rolling out Production-Candidate vehicles next week was a Q+A about how the delivery process will be streamlined for Model 3. You'll receive the bulk of your paperwork online, and the physical delivery process will now be 5 minutes, instead of the hour it currently takes.

They're even going to stand up separate Delivery Centers, whose sole purpose is the delivery of vehicles, so no sales or service or Superchargers on-site.

Finding the space necessary to do this in most cities on a temporary basis should be way less painless than building out new Stores or Service Centers.

Tesla Model 3: Elon Musk details the 5 minute delivery process, paperwork & instruction videos to be sent ahead of time

Lost in yesterday's excitement about Tesla rolling out Production-Candidate vehicles next week was a Q+A about how the delivery process will be streamlined for Model 3. You'll receive the bulk of your paperwork online, and the physical delivery process will now be 5 minutes, instead of the hour it currently takes.

They're even going to stand up separate Delivery Centers, whose sole purpose is the delivery of vehicles, so no sales or service or Superchargers on-site.

Finding the space necessary to do this in most cities on a temporary basis should be way less painless than building out new Stores or Service Centers.

Tesla Model 3: Elon Musk details the 5 minute delivery process, paperwork & instruction videos to be sent ahead of time
It certainly should be less painful, but I'll bet they'll have some kind of charging facilities. How could they not?

It certainly should be less painful, but I'll bet they'll have some kind of charging facilities. How could they not?

Maybe part of the process will be to ship the car mostly charged? I know that delivering me a Model 3 with only 15% charge will get me home from the current Service Center closest to me.

If they build one even closer to me....even better. If they ship my car with more charge in it, that's good too.

Came across one of the electrek.co articles this morning where Elon mentioned reducing the delivery process to just 5 minutes Tesla Model 3: Elon Musk details the 5 minute delivery process, paperwork & instruction videos to be sent ahead of time

Personally I'm skeptical. As a guy who's never driven an Electric vehicle, much less a Telsa before, AND this being the most expensive car I've bought to date, I'd like a little time with the sales guy to go over everything. Sure I'll watch all the video's I can get my hands on but I'd like a little face time for something like this.

At least that's my first reaction, what about you guys?

Don't know that I need face time with the delivery guy, but for the sake of logistics, I do think 5 minutes is a little unrealistic. it takes longer than that to pick up a pre-paid rental car, not counting the standing in line. maybe 15-20 minutes I could see.
Being I was at the dealership for nearly 3 hours to sign papers and pick up my last car, even an hour sounds pretty sweet.

Reactions: ohmman and CCWgr
My guess is he was mostly referring to the paperwork process being significantly streamlined and of course good instructional videos will help. But I think most everyone will want 15-30 minutes for someone to go over the car with you and answer questions. Now if they offer virtual reality training videos that would be cool.

I agree. 5 min face time to go over a 35-60k car is not what people want...unless of course you have an MS already and just want to get in the car and leave.
Unless of course they will give people the opportunity to test drive and play around in the car BEFORE your car arrives.

Maybe he was just exaggerating that time in the sense of "it'll take 5 minutes (compared to the number of hours it takes now)."

There will still need to be time for the customer to go over the car inside and out to see if everything is ok with it and there isn't any pre-delivery damage.

5 mins is good for me. I don't need you to teach me how to drive the thing. I just want to make sure the quality of manufacturing is up to standards, sign the papers and drive.

I'm finally starting to think a HUD isn't in the cards though. I think if they were putting out something like that, they would want to allocate more time to the delivery of these things.

Given some of the issues seen in new Model S and X cars, I would insist on a much more detailed walkaround than could be accommodated by a five minute "Sign here" evolution.
Robin

Having a Model X with some imperfections I would tend to agree with you. However, the Model 3 is very different beast than the S and X as its core design was around easy manufacturing. Elon has already stated that the "release candidates" are already vastly better in quality to the initial Model S and X vehicles. Also, the first bunch will go to employees who you would assume have had plenty of access to Teslas if not the Model 3 itself. Then the people who are already Tesla owners come next who also obviously familiar with Teslas.

By the time it gets to consumers who are not as familiar with Teslas, there will be a fleet of test vehicles and any initial quality issues will be worked out. 5 minutes sounds fast, but I believe the deliveries will be much much quicker initially and the later deliveries will not feel the need to do the extensive inspections us Model X and S owners needed to do. Based on what I have heard so far, I am very optimistic about Model 3 roll out. It is so smart to have the first batches go to the employees.

Reactions: gene and CCWgr
5 minutes is just about enough time to do inspection (no instructional bits). From the details, it seems he expects the paper work to be reviewed online and any instructional walkthrough done via videos. I presume any test drives/playing around would happen before delivery.

Came across one of the electrek.co articles this morning where Elon mentioned reducing the delivery process to just 5 minutes Tesla Model 3: Elon Musk details the 5 minute delivery process, paperwork & instruction videos to be sent ahead of time

Personally I'm skeptical. As a guy who's never driven an Electric vehicle, much less a Telsa before, AND this being the most expensive car I've bought to date, I'd like a little time with the sales guy to go over everything. Sure I'll watch all the video's I can get my hands on but I'd like a little face time for something like this.

At least that's my first reaction, what about you guys?
I would prefer a very short delivery time. Ten years ago, i also go the most expensive car i've been in, a c class, which falls in the M3 range. I still remember the sales/delivery person who succinctly explained all the functions in under five minutes. While this is likely atypical, I appreciated the concise presentation and wish all other deliveries i had were 5 minutes or less.