Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New delivery temp tag expire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My temp tag expire today and Tesla still haven’t send me my custom licenses plate i called and asked for a other temp tag and then told me they can not do that what do you guys think i can do to get another temp tag ?

Yep. when I got my MX in late March, they gave me a 2 temp tags good for two months. Ended up getting my plates in mid July, or about 1.5 months after the temps expired. Thought I was the only one with that problem.
Apparently Tesla works with a third party company, and most delays are because of them and “not something tesla has anything to do with”

Reactions: 16fragar
Yep. when I got my MX in late March, they gave me a 2 temp tags good for two months. Ended up getting my plates in mid July, or about 1.5 months after the temps expired. Thought I was the only one with that problem.
Apparently Tesla works with a third party company, and most delays are because of them and “not something tesla has anything to do with”
Did you have to email them to get the second temp tags ?

No. They actually gave me the second month temp tag with delivery. Once they expired, no matter how much I emailed, they refused to give me a temp tag by giving indirect excuses like "I'll have to speak to my manager, and he is out on vacation for the next week."
I then requested a loaner so I could drive without being paranoid about getting pulled over and getting a ticket... still no luck.

It was once I told them that If I did get a ticket, I would request that they cover it since I had been emailing for the past 5 weeks. I was then sent a plate within 4 days

Reactions: 16fragar
No. They actually gave me the second month temp tag with delivery. Once they expired, no matter how much I emailed, they refused to give me a temp tag by giving indirect excuses like "I'll have to speak to my manager, and he is out on vacation for the next week."
I then requested a loaner so I could drive without being paranoid about getting pulled over and getting a ticket... still no luck.

It was once I told them that If I did get a ticket, I would request that they cover it since I had been emailing for the past 5 weeks. I was then sent a plate within 4 days
Wow! Because i emailed them Saturday and still no email back or update so I’m going to have to try that my car been sitting since Friday and i use it for work i had such bad experience with Tesla in the last month first it was my windshield cracked during transit now this but still love my car so :(

I had two separate temp tags expire while waiting for my plates to come in for my X.
Both times, I simply emailed my DS and they overnighted a new tag to me.
Seemed like my plates were never going to get here.
Like most things Tesla, you just need to be patient...

Yes patience is key here. I also had my fair share of problems-although not as big as the windshield. There had been minor paint scratches across the car that led them to keep the car for over 2 weeks total within first 2 months. But hopefully it should only get better from this point on.
Best of luck!

I would call your Owner Adviser and discuss it with them. I had this exact same issue when dealing with my purchase as well. I really don't know what the policy is supposed to be but mine said to just be patient and wait for the plates to arrive. If for any reason I got pulled over because of the expired tag, which you can't see through the rear window anyway on an X because of the tint, that Tesla would pay for the ticket.

Not saying I really like that idea as I would still get the ding on my driving record, but I think an officer would be understanding if I explained that the new plates just haven't arrived yet. Getting the tags does show that you have sent in the necessary paperwork and funds to get the plates.

I will say I was lucky as the last day mine were set to expire the plates showed up. Also was leaving the very next day on a road trip with the car so it came at the perfect time.

Last edited:
the dmv told me I could drive the car as long as I have proof and insurance and proof that I own the car so I printed it out and have it in my car until me plates come in Tesla said giving more then 1 temp tag is illegal and I would just have to wait it out they said I should get the plates in 2 weeks ;(