Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New/demo 2020 MS Performance for under $80k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the car I posted has sold but there are others out there with nice discounts.

There certainly has been lots of speculation on here regarding a major redesign coming soon but I don’t think discounts like this necessarily help support it. Tesla has offered many similar discounts and more in the past.

Prices on the MS and MX certainly have come down a lot, however. A car like the one I had posted above would’ve stickered for around $138k in 2018.

that’s true. In fact the people who leased a P100DL 2-3 years ago will often have residuals higher than the current sales prices of new P cars.

This is made especially true because of how Tesla artificially inflated their lease residuals by applying the $7,500 fed tax credit to the residual instead of deducting from the cap cost. Basically making the car that much less financially desirable to buy at lease end.

For example, a $138k retail 2018 MS with a 54% residual (@ 36 months) would actually carry a residual of $82,020 i.e., $74,520 (54% of $138k) + $7,500 = $82,020.

$82k for a car that would probably already only be worth (wholesale) $15k to $20k less than that TODAY.

that’s true. In fact the people who leased a P100DL 2-3 years ago will often have residuals higher than the current sales prices of new P cars.

Then they played the game right. You NEVER want to have a situation where your residual makes it a "good deal" to buy the car outright at the end of the lease. If you structure your lease properly on the front-end you WANT to have a residual well above what the car is actually worth because it means you structured your lease right and NOT in the seller's favor. If your residual is right at what the vehicle is worh then that was equally ideal for both parties in the transaction. If your car is worth MORE at the end of the lease it just means that the dealer won and you paid entirely too much in terms of monthly lease payments and now are forced to buy the car at the end just to attempt to make up that gap from a poorly structed lease for you. A win win for the seller. So many people don't understand leases from a financial perspective and yet are far too excited to get into one to save a few bucks per month over a traditional car loan.