TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New Design Studio is up!

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by XrstalLens, Jun 1, 2012.

1. XrstalLens

XrstalLens Model S P1327 VIN P01867

I'm checking it out now...

2. XrstalLens

Quite a few changes. A few highlights I noticed:
    - The paint colors now have names
    - The paint protection option is now listed
    - Prices are pre-tax-credit.

3. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

- "Obeche Wood"

4. ManuVince

ManuVince Member

Another interesting bit from the new design studio :
    40kwh batteries enters production in Decemeber
    60kwh batteries enters production in November

5. XrstalLens

Looks like they're still working on the "My Tesla" portion. It's not really working and it took me to a non-existent link when I first logged in.

Also, I get a little "i" next to the option when I select the Gray interior. Clicking on it brings up the following message:

ENTERS PRODUCTION NOVEMBER 2012

The Grey Performance Interior enters production in November 2012 and may delay delivery.

6. ddruz

ddruz Member

Standard suspension does not enter production till Jan 2013 and may delay delivery.

7. goyogi

goyogi Member

I guess that helps answer the question why we haven't seen a grey interior in the wild yet.

8. DrDave

DrDave Member

Conspiracy theorists might suggest they are experiencing delays in general, and are just prepping us by inserting different options that would cause these "delays". Let's hope not.

9. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Grey has not been seen anywhere yet, so it was obviously coming later. We've known for some time that all 2012 cars would be with air suspension. I don't see any unexpected delays.

10. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

60 kWh supercharger: TBD.

Anyone have insight on this?

11. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Not happy about the suspension bit...No way I can wait until Jan., but that's a $1500 expense I don't want/need--and if I get that I might as well get the Aero rims--so make it $3000

12. mulder1231

mulder1231 Active Member

From the "Wood Handbook"

Obeche (Triplochiton scleroxylon) trees of west–central Africa reach a height of 50 m (150 ft) or more and a diameter of up to 2 m (5 ft). The trunk is usually free of branches for a considerable height so that clear lumber of considerable size can be obtained.

The wood is creamy white to pale yellow with little or no difference between sapwood and heartwood. The wood is fairly soft, of uniform medium to coarse texture, and the grain is usually interlocked but sometimes straight. Air-dry wood weighs about 385 kg/m3 (24 lb/ft3). Obeche dries readily with little degrade. It is not resistant to decay, and green sapwood is subject to blue stain. The wood is easy to work and machine, veneers and glues well, and takes nails and screws without splitting.

The characteristics of obeche make it especially suitable for veneer and corestock. Other uses include furniture, components, millwork, blockboard, boxes and crates, particleboard and fiberboard, patterns, and artificial limbs.

13. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

So, banana leaf is gone, with obeche wood in its place. It's better than the banana leaf, but it still doesn't do much for me.

14. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I'm not sure I see the linkage; while both will help with range, range is just a side benefit of the air suspension. I'm getting the air suspension to manage the gravel roads of Maine, which not infrequently have wash-outs. Air suspension will also help manage those steep ramps in parking garages, driveways, etc. without scraping the paint.

I'm surprised that the gray interior is going into production late. This option seems trivially simple to deliver. Fortunately, I'd settled on tan.

15. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Obeche is used for lots of different things:

model-10-toffee-large-242x300.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    mikersamp067x640.jpg
    1.jpg

16. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Well, that really sucks, grey was the only interior I really liked. Perhaps it won't make much difference in timing though since I'm P2840.

17. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Sheesh! Gray interior and standard suspension were my first choices and I'm looking at 2013 now?! :(

Have (long term reliability) concerns around air suspension and I don't really want to cough up $1,500 for that - even if I fall back to 60 kWh to accommodate that option (and more), maybe touch and go as to whether I'll get the car by the end of the year with P 1,620.

Decisions, decisions...

18. mulder1231

mulder1231 Active Member

Obeche is considered a sustainable rain forest timber, that may be part of the reason for Tesla's pick. I like the grain, not too busy like other exotic woods, but the stain color I would have liked better with a little more reddish, warmer tone.

19. Bardlebee

Bardlebee Member

Ugh, the car I WANT is going to be above 80k. I guess I can do without a lot of options.

Though has Tesla said anything about later installations? Such as if I got textiles instead of leather, will I be able to install leather? This is just an example, things like the sound system is something I can wait on too, but I don't know if thats an option.

20. goyogi

goyogi Member

Obeche wood and the stain they chose is much nicer than the banana leaf. Good job Tesla. I'm still going for piano or cf.