TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Design Studio is up!

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by XrstalLens, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

Oh come on :rolleyes:

I share three cars at times with my wife and daughter. Only one even has power seats. We adjust them. Admittedly, it is better to adjust the seat after my daughter has driven beforegetting in, otherwise it feels like getting shoved into a Tokyo subway - but we deal with it. I think the people that are bothered by dead cows and care enough to spend the extra money to drive a ZEV will put up with this minor inconvenience.

2. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913

You make a good point, Andrew. :) In my case, my wife's already given up on driving the Model S except in an emergency; she says it's too big for her! So, maybe, it's overkill after all atleast for us; can use the $1,500 towards the air suspension.

3. ohaq

ohaq Model S #P9,326

That is interesting, they have 8-way power adjustable seats but no memory. i got to get the memory and air suspension just to show of tesla to others. I don't want any one telling me that your tesla doesn't have this or that. They already thing i am a fool that i am going to get a tesla.

4. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

No matter what car you purchase, there will always be something you don't have. Just smile and say, 'So so negative ... ' and then take them for a ride. That will end the comparisons. (If you're getting leather seats, it appears you will get the seat memory - it's only microfiber seats that they're talking about here.)

5. clea

clea Member

If there is no seat memory with the default model then could someone explain to me what they mean when they say "Driver seat position sensor" on the specs page under safety? This is not the same as the "Driver and front passenger seat sensors" which are used, I presume, for the air bag deployment. They have something listed under convenience which is "Driver seat detection sensor for start/stop functionality" which has no requirement for seat position to function I would imagine ...

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Guesses of course, but I think you have it right. Under safety it's likely for airbag deployment (and possibly to disable the car in the event of an accident and/or the driver leaving the seat?). Under convenience I think it just detects that the key is in the car and butt is in the chair before allowing the car to start.

7. daniel

daniel Active Member

I'd caution against robbing a bank in a Nixon mask. Someone old enough to remember Tricky Dick might shoot you. :crying: Better to wear a Kermit the Frog mask. Everybody likes Kermit. The teller might not even set off the silent alarm if you were wearing Kermit mask. You might not even need a gun. Just ask nicely. Practice your Kermit the Frog voice ahead of time. :rolleyes: "Hi. This is a stickup. Please give me $102,050. I won't hurt anybody even if you say no, but I really need the money so I can buy an electric car. Can you spell 'Tesla'?"

So if I was getting an S I'd get the 85 kWh not Perf with the tech package but no other options. $73,650 after the federal tax credit, and no sales tax in WA, but the delivery charge is not included. Probably around $74K delivered. But it's too big a car for me and I don't need another EV.

8. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Not to mention that my parents have had numerous cars with power seats (mine have all been manual) and had numerous drivers and never even bothered to put a memory setting in.

9. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

It's from a movie. Point Break - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Point Break.jpg

10. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

+1 to this. Black interiors is too dark I think, a lighter choice in microfiber would be nice. I like the Leaf interior a lot actually.

11. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I used to ignore it as well, but my wife uses some very odd settings so now any car we share, I always set my preferred setup into memory (in slot 2 so she doesn't override it if she decides to one day play with it). I love that the S also has memory mirrors. She sets her mirrors so she can see the baby in the back :rolleyes:

12. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

What do you mean "no sales tax in WA?"

13. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

We do just fine without it in our Leaf, can't see it being much of an issue in the Model S either. I'd actually prefer manual seats if they were available. Less weight and cost, and less stuff to break.

14. goyogi

goyogi Member

That's the way the Volt is. No power seats available to save weight.

15. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Yes, but the leaf and volt aren't trying to be "luxury" cars either.

16. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I a bit distraught at the various changes. I think it's crappy that they're charging extra to have a color other than black or white to start with, the cost differences are pretty much negligible. Now, after waiting 3 1/2 years since putting down a deposit they won't have something as simple as hydrolic suspension until jan?! R#77, and I'm going to be in the 2nd thousand getting my car. Gotta pay an extra $ for XM built in...may end up just getting the standard and adding an ugly aftermarket gizzy...hate that.

Looks like I'll be in the ranks waiting until Jan...and they're gonna have to deliver something exceeding my already lofty expectations.

17. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I'm pretty certain that you're putting this in the PRO column, but not while the wife is looking at the forum over your shoulder.

18. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913

Incidentally, she has been lurking over here from time to time! She knows all ye usual suspects who are active here and she wants to keep tabs on what I might be scheming next :biggrin:

19. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Currently no sales tax for EV purchases.

Evan, you have to know that the only way they could have a $50,000 Model S was to make it bare bones with highly desirable (and profitable) options. They can't be making much money on the $50k version with that amazing magical drive train and the 17" and console screens.

20. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Yea, but it's pretty painful from this end. I'm getting the 85kWh and even bare bones that is a huge budget stretch. I'm getting the tech package for sure, the twin charger and the charger. I want color, but refuse to pay extra--it just pisses me off. I want the adjustable seats and gray interior--but now you have to wait for that too! (gray) The nickel and diming and more delays is discouraging as I've been anticipating a ~ Sept. delivery for a year now. Putting off until Jan just so I don't have to buy the air susp. seems pretty silly.