Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Design Studio is up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have to remember Tesla said the first cars off the line would be a standard configuration to allow them to minimize problems with starting the production line. It's unfortunate for the air suspension, but they are standardizing the first groups to maximize production and profits. Both are very important to all of us as we need Tesla to prosper.

Yea, but it's pretty painful from this end. I'm getting the 85kWh and even bare bones that is a huge budget stretch. I'm getting the tech package for sure, the twin charger and the charger. I want color, but refuse to pay extra--it just pisses me off. I want the adjustable seats and gray interior--but now you have to wait for that too! (gray) The nickel and diming and more delays is discouraging as I've been anticipating a ~ Sept. delivery for a year now. Putting off until Jan just so I don't have to buy the air susp. seems pretty silly.

I guess I don't see nickel and diming. Pushing some features back, is common and wouldn't be classified as nickel and diming. Charging for "better paint" is also fairly common. If you were stretching, I'd imagine you could do without the dual charger and the HPWC though.

This is NEW (at least for me):

garage.jpg

Previously this button took me to the design studio. Now I get a nice pdf with my spec and details.

Now, after waiting 3 1/2 years since putting down a deposit they won't have something as simple as hydrolic suspension until jan?! R#77, and I'm going to be in the 2nd thousand getting my car.

Evan, maybe you won't feel as bad if you think about it as only a 10% delay (4 months out of 40). Besides, I'm pretty sure you will be the only Model S for miles around Nixa, MO for a long time. It doesn't matter that there's already 2000 running around California.

I agree with AO that you could skimp on the HPWC (although it sure is purdy) and dual chargers unless you (a) install it at the midpoint of some very long drive for your exclusive use, or (b) regularly get home from a 200+ mile drive and need to immediately head out again for another long drive.

Nevermind. I needed to sign in to see the domo arigato image.

Edit:
Just got denied when I clicked on the link.
I got the following message
Code:
Sorry loganss, you don't have permission to view the page you've just tried to access.

If you feel that you have received this message in error, please contact us with specific details so that we may review your access to this web site.

Thanks

Evan, maybe you won't feel as bad if you think about it as only a 10% delay (4 months out of 40). Besides, I'm pretty sure you will be the only Model S for miles around Nixa, MO for a long time. It doesn't matter that there's already 2000 running around California.

I agree with AO that you could skimp on the HPWC (although it sure is purdy) and dual chargers unless you (a) install it at the midpoint of some very long drive for your exclusive use, or (b) regularly get home from a 200+ mile drive and need to immediately head out again for another long drive.
I think the dual chargers are a must for me. I do intend to regularly drive 200+ miles--St.Louis, Tulsa, Kansas City, Little Rock, & Memphis are the major cities around me and are all at the edge of the effective highway range of the 85kWh pack. I'll need to top up charge either en route or immediately upon arrival and don't candy to the thought of sitting around unnecessarily long times to do so.

I can probably wait on the HPWC a bit, but it seems smart to just roll it into the loan and be done with it and also have it from the start.

No matter the protests otherwise, I think it is cheap and nickel and dimeing to charge for regular pain colors. I've never had to pay extra for a different color pain on a new car in my life. It also doesn't exactly seem like it would be all that complicated to have both hydro and air suspension on the line from the start...gotta think they'll install very similarly with the air clearly being the more difficult and complex of the two.

I'm not trying to stir the pot and be a nay sayer--just expressing my personal disappointment and frustration. It's been a very long wait since March of '09 and feeling let down and frustrated is very natural...just hoping for some commiseration rather than defensive fanboism.

What do you mean "no sales tax in WA?"
As already noted, Washington State exempts new EV purchases from sales tax. With a fairly high sales tax rate, this is a significant saving.

Yea, but it's pretty painful from this end. I'm getting the 85kWh and even bare bones that is a huge budget stretch. I'm getting the tech package for sure, the twin charger and the charger. I want color, but refuse to pay extra--it just pisses me off. I want the adjustable seats and gray interior--but now you have to wait for that too! (gray) The nickel and diming and more delays is discouraging as I've been anticipating a ~ Sept. delivery for a year now. Putting off until Jan just so I don't have to buy the air susp. seems pretty silly.
Your post reminds me of when the Roadster first came out. They had promised a price of $98K and then decided to raise it. Folks who had already reserved were grandfathered into the $98K price, but a bunch of items were moved from standard to extra-cost optional and some people got very angry. Tesla needs money badly, and it sounds like they're trying to get some additional money out of early buyers by requiring them to buy some non-optional options that will be optional later.

Are you really going to be driving distances that justify the expense of the twin chargers and HPC? I use the 240 v. 40 a. UMC and the car is charged overnight, and would be even if I'd driven it to empty.

Personally, I don't think I'd pay for air suspension, and I'd certainly not pay for leather, if I had the choice. I'd probably wait the four months for the car I wanted. You're going to be much happier if you get the car the way you really want it, and the four months will seem insignificant once you have the car.

Edit: Cross-posted with Evan. Sorry.

...just hoping for some commiseration rather than defensive fanboism.

I feel your pain!

I think the dual chargers are a must for me. I do intend to regularly drive 200+ miles--St.Louis, Tulsa, Kansas City, Little Rock, & Memphis are the major cities around me and are all at the edge of the effective highway range of the 85kWh pack.

I'm concerned that you won't find the high power charging points to take advantage of the twin chargers. Per the old thread below, most public chargers are hovering around 30A, and unless your route has a HPWC with 100A service (or a similarly high powered J1772) then having the second charger won't help.

Twin Chargers: Why?

I think what you'll have to do, if you have clout at your various destinations, is have them install HPWCs so that you can recharge at a decent rate. In that case then yes you should get the twin chargers.

No matter the protests otherwise, I think it is cheap and nickel and dimeing to charge for regular pain colors. I've never had to pay extra for a different color pain on a new car in my life.

To think of it in another way, maybe all the other car companies are actually "overcharging" everyone that gets cheaper non-metallic paint by making it the same as the metallic stuff. ;D That being said, I have seen various vehicles with extra-cost paint options. If Tesla never promised a sub-$50k car in the first place, we would probably see a $60k+ base model with a lot of this stuff included. And while I can totally understand many people's disappointments here on this forum (not just Evan), much of it comes from us speculating and forming false expectations. I'm guilty of that, too. Of course (depending on how early one followed Tesla) there have been a couple of altered promises...

I'm not trying to stir the pot and be a nay sayer--just expressing my personal disappointment and frustration. It's been a very long wait since March of '09 and feeling let down and frustrated is very natural...just hoping for some commiseration rather than defensive fanboism.

Sorry, Evan.

I hear you, though.

I agree with the paint issue. The subpar included technology features (i.e., sound, digital media, storage space, etc.) to me even more. If I had gone in a couple of years ago when I wanted to, I'd probably be as upset as you are. Time moves quickly, however. Yours will be there before you know it.