Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Details on Toyota EV Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Toyota made some big announcements and updated their EV plans today. Some very interesting models. I for one welcome the competition as it makes everyone stronger. Key evidence of this is Tesla revising their Cyber Truck plans to include a 4 motor variant.

Toyota - Lexus - Future EVs
Fun in theory. Excuse me if I'm pessimistic about seeing these in any meaningful time frame. I can't be excited that they're going to have an EV Camry with 200 miles in 2030 or whatever. That many models and all, looks more like a wish list than product announcements.

BTW, I thought hydrogen was the future, Toyota?

Fun in theory. Excuse me if I'm pessimistic about seeing these in any meaningful time frame. I can't be excited that they're going to have an EV Camry with 200 miles in 2030 or whatever. That many models and all, looks more like a wish list than product announcements.

BTW, I thought hydrogen was the future, Toyota?
I don’t disagree with the pessimism and one could certainly question their motives but I expect some decent product out of Toyota. I don’t think any of the models they shared had actual pictures of cars so the wish list comment is correct. The point I wanted to make is that competition is good. Tesla created the market for EV and established what it takes to be a player and others joining in only validates that market.

I also wouldn’t completely dismiss hydrogen though I think it’s use in transportation will likely be limited or non-existent.

Toyota made some big announcements and updated their EV plans today. Some very interesting models. I for one welcome the competition as it makes everyone stronger. Key evidence of this is Tesla revising their Cyber Truck plans to include a 4 motor variant.

Toyota - Lexus - Future EVs
It's sad if Toyota plans to release EV versions of its 2010s models in 2030th. If I own TM and think of 10+ year investment, I'd sell now.

I don’t disagree with the pessimism and one could certainly question their motives but I expect some decent product out of Toyota. I don’t think any of the models they shared had actual pictures of cars so the wish list comment is correct. The point I wanted to make is that competition is good. Tesla created the market for EV and established what it takes to be a player and others joining in only validates that market.

I also wouldn’t completely dismiss hydrogen though I think it’s use in transportation will likely be limited or non-existent.
I do agree in the sense that if Toyota actually put their efforts into an EV it can be a great vehicle. I'm just not convinced that they're doing this yet. I hope they are. Competition is great for consumers.

20211214-bev-17-1639491030.jpg

MINECRAFT IS REAL!

Jokes aside, Toyota is laughably late, and not inspiring.

Reminds me of Nintendo who for years refused to make games for iPhone and Androids, saying they are not good for gaming.
They finally gave up the resistance, and now are doing great selling apps.

Reactions: DblOSmith
These press releases don't mean anything. Companies rehash the same releases constantly while doing virtually nothing. It's PR busy-work to stay in the news cycle.
I disagree. It might be accurate to state these these press releases are always subject to change and almost always do change. Anyway this is a continuation of earlier announcements and I’m eagerly waiting to see more. Not because I’m a Toyota fan but because I’m an EV fan and more product creates more excitement. I want to see manufacturers trying different things like Tesla’s falcon wing doors or Rivian’s gear tunnel. The platform of an EV opens up a world of innovation possibilities.

I am hoping Toyota succeed.

Customer Service and build quality will force Tesla to step up.

I have been a long time Toyota customer.
My worst Toyota car from ownership was the Frankenstein Rav4EV with Tesla parts. I hope Toyota design in house only. And maybe use Solid State batteries soon.

MY favorite on their show, like most, have to be the truck and mini-FJ.

Reactions: raptor5244