Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New DIY Rubber Rim Bumpers: inexpensive but superior protection for your rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think a single unit "o-ring" would make installation any easier and might make it more difficult. The thickness/diameter of the ring itself needs to be at 3/8" and that spec wasn't provided on the Phoenix site.

Agreed. If it was one piece it would have to be slightly smaller than the rim flange diameter, which would make holding it in place while the glue sets difficult. It couldn't be made the same size, because of the variance in both the ring and the wheels, and one that was too large wouldn't install at all.

I hope I haven't encouraged a rush by others to install this on their own Telsas. I'd suggest everybody hold off for a two or three weeks so I can get some experience with this under my belt. I drive about 40 miles a day with some approaching 100 so that should be a good test over a 2-3 week period.

- - - Updated - - -

Rim guards are for bad drivers and the elderly. With that said, I'll likely scrape a curb this week.

The problem is that the car and its stance is so large when we're driving for the first time we underestimate where the wheels are when we turn around sharp curbs.

I did all most of the damage to my rims in the first several days and weeks before I was able to get any protection installed. Then a few careless moments resulted in some other damage to the rim protectors and the rims themselves. I'm hoping this solution will protect me from careless moments in the future. I know there will be some.

I hope I haven't encouraged a rush by others to install this on their own Telsas. I'd suggest everybody hold off for a two or three weeks so I can get some experience with this under my belt. I drive about 40 miles a day with some approaching 100 so that should be a good test over a 2-3 week period.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem is that the car and its stance is so large when we're driving for the first time we underestimate where the wheels are when we turn around sharp curbs.

I did all most of the damage to my rims in the first several days and weeks before I was able to get any protection installed. Then a few careless moments resulted in some other damage to the rim protectors and the rims themselves. I'm hoping this solution will protect me from careless moments in the future. I know there will be some.

Yeah... I went 13 months before carelessly cutting a corner too sharply in a parking garage I had not been in before. My AlloyGators saved me though.... so I 'm hesitant to not have a solution of some sort...

I've had a problem with the right rear RRB staying attached to the tire. It's come off three times after being re-glued twice with super glue and another time with contact cement. The problem appears to be that these glues do not adhere well to the buna rubber of the rubber cord. They stick to the tire rubber just fine.

The other three RRBs are holding up fine.

Don't know why this one wheel is a problem but I'm looking in to other glues and will report what I find. There are specialty glues for rubber and I think that's what I'll need.

Any progress on testing? Looks good, but hard to claim it's superior without a test. I'm curious how the glue will hold up in a rashing.

Not yet. First I'm just seeing how they stick to the tires. With the exception of the aformentioned right rear all is well so far. I've found a source for true rubber adhesive (not readily available as it's a specialty product) and as soon as that's received further testing will resume.

Looks very cool. If this works out, I can certainly see switching over. Though I'd first have to get my rims repaired since half of the reason I have any rim guards now is for cosmetic coverup :redface:

Looks very cool. If this works out, I can certainly see switching over. Though I'd first have to get my rims repaired since half of the reason I have any rim guards now is for cosmetic coverup :redface:

I received some larger diameter rubber cords today -- 1/2" and 7/16". They'll also fit so it appears different diameter RRBs can provide different levels of protection.

Silicone caulk?? Assume you carefully prepped the surfaces (?Goof-off).

After several more weeks of experimentation my experience proves that top quality superglue is the way to go. None of the other glues I tried worked well at all, and I tried everything. I ended up using E-Z Bond Instant Glue, the thick 2 oz. version. It comes with a long tapered end, which makes it easy to apply. I also settled on the 3/8" rubber cord as the best size for the 21" Michelin Pilot Sport tires on my rims. Larger diameters may be best for other tires but this size is ideal for mine.

As it turns out, JPP is right about the tire surface preparation. It's critically important. The tire concave indentation near the rim has to be very thoroughly cleaned with Goof Off Pro Strength Remover, and I mean throughly. I wiped it with Goof-Off about six times to be sure it was clean of contaminants. I also wiped the rubber cord twice with the Goof-Off.

A bead of the superglue has be applied around the entire indented surface about 3/16" from the edge of the tire surface where it begins to curve in. I did a 15" section at a time and pressed the cord in until the superglue cured. To speed the curing I sprayed superglue accelerant on the rubber cord first (when you do this you have to be sure no overspray gets on the tire surface where you'll apply the supreglue). That way when I pressed it into place the glue cured very rapidly. Tire prep took the most time -- about 15 minutes on each tire. Once properly prepped, installation of the rubber cords took about 5 minutes on each tire.

All is now well. The cords are holding very tightly in place and there's no sign whatsoever that they'll come loose.

Next I'll do a curb test as soon can find the time --- likely next weekend.

I'll post some additional photos later today.

Last edited:
Rubber that dries out can crack and affect sidewall integrity. Are you concerned about the area under the superglue becoming damaged? It seems like after awhile that area would be prone to failure.

That said, I doubt the stock summer tires on the 21"s will last long enough for that to be an issue.

Rubber that dries out can crack and affect sidewall integrity. Are you concerned about the area under the superglue becoming damaged? It seems like after awhile that area would be prone to failure.

That said, I doubt the stock summer tires on the 21"s will last long enough for that to be an issue.

I'm not concerned at all. First the cord covers that area of the tire and prevents any harmful materials from reaching it. Second, the superglue adheres to the rubber surface only and once it's cured is inert. Third the tire rubber and cord in that area is quite thick. Fourth, as you noted, the tire tread will wear out long before that part of the tire gives in.

My main concern is that on most tires, for lack of a better phrase, the rubber needs to breathe. You may recall the huge flap years ago when it was proven that ArmorAll's coating was drying out tires, leading to sidewall failures. I'd be less concerned about the glue drying inert than the coating it creates on the tire causing structural changes by blocking the rubber's ability to breathe and absorb water.

I believe this change was occuring over 40-60k miles and several years, if I recall, though, so probably of no consequence to anyone on the stock Continentals. While certainly more catastrophic, a far less likely outcome than curbing your wheels.

My main concern is that on most tires, for lack of a better phrase, the rubber needs to breathe. You may recall the huge flap years ago when it was proven that ArmorAll's coating was drying out tires, leading to sidewall failures. I'd be less concerned about the glue drying inert than the coating it creates on the tire causing structural changes by blocking the rubber's ability to breathe and absorb water.

I believe this change was occuring over 40-60k miles and several years, if I recall, though, so probably of no consequence to anyone on the stock Continentals. While certainly more catastrophic, a far less likely outcome than curbing your wheels.

The cord covers what, less than 1 percent of the tire outer surface, so I can't imagine it prevents "breathing" of the rubber. But I guess I'll find out.