Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New DIY Rubber Rim Bumpers: inexpensive but superior protection for your rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My main concern is that on most tires, for lack of a better phrase, the rubber needs to breathe. You may recall the huge flap years ago when it was proven that ArmorAll's coating was drying out tires, leading to sidewall failures.

More correctly, ArmorAll and similar products alter the chemical structure of the sidewall compounds making them less resilient.

To resurrect this... artsci, were you ever able to complete the "shear" test we had discussed here?

I ask because I replaced two of my Alloy Gators yesterday. The reasons being I scuffed one up in exactly the manner such an experiment would test, as well as I replaced a pair of tires anyway.

Removing the Gators.... the rim underneath was fine, and the new ones went on and everything looks good as new. I'm wondering how the rubber cord would fare...

Thanks.

To resurrect this... artsci, were you ever able to complete the "shear" test we had discussed here?

I ask because I replaced two of my Alloy Gators yesterday. The reasons being I scuffed one up in exactly the manner such an experiment would test, as well as I replaced a pair of tires anyway.

Removing the Gators.... the rim underneath was fine, and the new ones went on and everything looks good as new. I'm wondering how the rubber cord would fare...

Thanks.

Before I could do a shear test I accidentally rimmed a curb. The rubber cord held up extremely well and did it's job (no damage to the rim, and the cord itself shows almost no damage). So I'm pleased. Problem is one of the RRBs flew off my right front tire at speed, to be lost somewhere on the highway (I-95). The RRBs on the other three tires have not budged. So I assume that my glue job on that tire was inadequate.

So this is still a test in my mind and I would not recommend that anyone else try it. Too much depends on the gluing technique. My initial enthusiasm was a bit over the top in the light of reality.

Before I could do a shear test I accidentally rimmed a curb. The rubber cord held up extremely well and did it's job (no damage to the rim, and the cord itself shows almost no damage). So I'm pleased. Problem is one of the RRBs flew off my right front tire at speed, to be lost somewhere on the highway (I-95). The RRBs on the other three tires have not budged. So I assume that my glue job on that tire was inadequate.

So this is still a test in my mind and I would not recommend that anyone else try it. Too much depends on the gluing technique. My initial enthusiasm was a bit over the top in the light of reality.

Ah, that's promising then... just to get the gluing method down..

Thanks.

Have you considered getting actual bands made in the circumference you ended up making manually? I don't know if it's possible but perhaps having a circle/rubber band that you simply slip onto the rim, held there by elasticity would prevent the thing from flying off while driving. You seem to able to manufacture lots of things, so this might be in your skill set!

Have you considered getting actual bands made in the circumference you ended up making manually? I don't know if it's possible but perhaps having a circle/rubber band that you simply slip onto the rim, held there by elasticity would prevent the thing from flying off while driving. You seem to able to manufacture lots of things, so this might be in your skill set!

That's a good idea. Even with the glue, stretching them a bit seems to help. I'll look into it.

If this is possible, then it would be the easiest to install and remove rim guards ever made! You could offer them in the 19" and 21" Tesla rim versions.

I have not been able to find a band/ring version of the rubber cords, but I have found what I think will be a reliable way to connect the ends that will make it like a large rubber band that can be stretched over the rim. Planning to install one on Saturday. Will report back.

I have not been able to find a band/ring version of the rubber cords, but I have found what I think will be a reliable way to connect the ends that will make it like a large rubber band that can be stretched over the rim. Planning to install one on Saturday. Will report back.

Keep me posted. Just rashed one of my stock 19"s...once you work out a complete solution, I'm ready to try....

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not envisioning how this will work... I have almost no clearance between rim edge and tire bead that would allow me to fit a rubber cord of the size in your pictures in there...

I finally found a manufacturer that sells very large rubber o-rings with the correct diameter and thickness. I've ordered a dozen to test them out. My plan is to stretch them around the rim without any glue and see if they hold. Two of the four rubber cords I originally attached have come off. The other two seem good for the life of the tires. But the o-ring solution without glue is probably the best way to go. I won't get the o-rings for a least 4 weeks but will post again once they're installed for a test.

I finally found a manufacturer that sells very large rubber o-rings with the correct diameter and thickness. I've ordered a dozen to test them out. My plan is to stretch them around the rim without any glue and see if they hold. Two of the four rubber cords I originally attached have come off. The other two seem good for the life of the tires. But the o-ring solution without glue is probably the best way to go. I won't get the o-rings for a least 4 weeks but will post again once they're installed for a test.

Nice. While my 'gators' work well I would be interested in these moving forward. Thanks for all your work finding 'mods' that work for the model S.

I bought and installed Rimblades. They last 1 1/2 years and then one came off while I was driving around 70 mph. It banged around the wheel well for 30 seconds or so and then fell off.
@artsci -- reading this after a gap of time, I am confused about how the fixed rings you bought worked out. You report that 2 of 4 of a solution failed (came off on the road) but it is unclear if that is your original RRBs or the large O-rings. Any updates on this noble experiment? Thanks!

@artsci -- reading this after a gap of time, I am confused about how the fixed rings you bought worked out. You report that 2 of 4 of a solution failed (came off on the road) but it is unclear if that is your original RRBs or the large O-rings. Any updates on this noble experiment? Thanks!

I guess I never posted -- sorry about that. This experiment was a total bust. The rings did not stay on -- in fact one flew off and broke the passenger side mirror.