Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New door handle design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the no-pull originals and still find it a bit odd to not have that tactile feedback of the handle having some give to it when I pull. There's also a fraction of a second delay from when I pull on the handle to when the switch triggers and opens the door that I find slightly annoying.

I have the no-pull originals and still find it a bit odd to not have that tactile feedback of the handle having some give to it when I pull. There's also a fraction of a second delay from when I pull on the handle to when the switch triggers and opens the door that I find slightly annoying.

I agree. My last car (Cadillac) had solenoid-activated latches, but the handle had the normal amount to travel when you pulled it. I notice the delay on the Model S too. I wonder if my old car also had the delay, but the time was eaten up in the travel of the handle when you pulled it so as to make it unnoticeable?

I think the old design, minimal travel handles (which I have) means that the micro-switch has to be calibrated very precisely, and even the slightest misalignment can cause fault trips when the handle extends causing the door to pop open. So far, I have not had any such problems.

I do hope they address the heat collection of the handles. It's not even summer yet and the handles get extremely hot to handle. Not sure how we're going to deal with it when it does get to 100+.
Perhaps there was a change then. I've not felt mine be "extremely hot" yet. Warm, yes, but not even what I would call hot. I haven't left it sitting in the sun for long times, but I would think long enough for it to be an issues from reading people's descriptions. I'll continue to monitor and report back...

I believe per service plan details announced today the service now includes hardware upgrades. I hope that includes things like the door handle. If so, paying $600 a year is not that bad of a deal.

Tesla is doing test drives at the Scottsdale Galleria this weekend. The testers are all brand new with the new handles (the one my wife drove had 101 miles on it at the end of her drive).

Tried one - the extra movement is nice. Feels more natural than the original design...

I believe per service plan details announced today the service now includes hardware upgrades. I hope that includes things like the door handle. If so, paying $600 a year is not that bad of a deal.

If this ends up being true I may not cancel my prepaid service plan. I never thought the original feel was quite right so I'm curious to try these new ones.

> There's also a fraction of a second delay from when I pull on the handle to when the switch triggers and opens the door that I find slightly annoying. [EA]

Delay is to give time for window to jump down 3/4 inch +/- , no??
--

That looks very doable on the existing handles with a firmware change or slight tweak to the existing hardware.

You can see in the video the "new" handles don't extend all the way out at first like the "old" handles do. We know the handles are pulled back in with a spring. So it stands to reason that simply changing the behavior of the existing handles to extend only 80%, then relying on the user to pull against the retraction spring to reach 100% and put pressure on the microswitch to trigger the door release mechanism.

@ken830, thanks for the video. There are a few times I felt the handle is fighting with me and refused to let me open my door. It looks a little smoother and yes natural. I hope they can fix it with the firmware or via service center.