Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New door handle design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my daughter (3) just got her hand caught in the door handle today as she was trying to open it and it closed. my wife had that happen to her too. is there any sensor to reopen the door handle if it feels pressure. the little one was crying for quite a bit - even though is wasn't awful it wasn't great either.

my daughter (3) just got her hand caught in the door handle today as she was trying to open it and it closed. my wife had that happen to her too. is there any sensor to reopen the door handle if it feels pressure. the little one was crying for quite a bit - even though is wasn't awful it wasn't great either.

It's pulled back by a relatively weak spring. If you tug it will come out again. Probably a bit surprising the first time it happens.

It hurt my finger for 30 minutes. So it can hurt. I can imagine the shock for the people that's had their hands in the opening while the handle retracted. My daughter screamed "Mom!" when she saw the handle retract on me. Lucky me, this was one of my concerns for this car so even though I did not expect it, I was not totally surprised when it happened. I was just mad that it did happen.

Hello. Long time lurker. I just had to post because the comment "It can't hurt you!" really bothered me. It hurt and scared a little girl, and another family member also experienced the same thing. If your hand happens to be inside the handle right when it retracts, this is what can happen.

Yeah, I've let the handle close on my hand deliberately. It doesn't close with much pressure, so I can't see how it would hurt your hand. But, perhaps people don't realize that they can just pull gently out to bring the handle out again, and are trying to pull their fingers out straight up, thus hurting them against the edge of the aluminum skin of the door?

Tesla wants to change out one of my handles with the new type. They say they look the same. Is this going to look wierd?

The new handles look the same. I have old handles on the front doors and new ones on the rears doors. You can't tell unless you use them. I personally like the new design and wish I could get them on all four doors. Given the rate at which they fail it shouldn't be long ;-)

Hans, how did you manage to get the new handles when in for service? Fremont SC replaced one faulty handle for me with an old one again a couple of weeks ago.

I just put the car in for service at Menlo Park. They were out of handles so it took an extra day for them to get some from the factory. When I picked up the car I noticed they were the new ones. I think they use whatever they can get their hands on because the handles are in short supply.

I used to think the material of the newer handles may have been different becasue I wasnt finding them as hot as others said theirs were. And they may still be slightly different. But in the recent sweltering heat, my handles have been scorching hot as well. Then again it's been 110+, and 121 today.

I used to think the material of the newer handles may have been different becasue I wasnt finding them as hot as others said theirs were. And they may still be slightly different. But in the recent sweltering heat, my handles have been scorching hot as well. Then again it's been 110+, and 121 today.

I feel the same way. I don't have any way to measure the temperature but I do remember thinking "that's hot" when opening the door with the new handle.

I need to do some testing, but I'm pretty sure my car has a mix of both styles from the factory. The driver's door definitely has the new style, but I think the passenger has an old unit with little or no movement. Not sure about the rear doors. I'll check it more closely tonight and report back.

Haven't ever had any of the handles replaced. Whatever's in there now is what came off the factory floor. I think I prefer the new style handles overall.

I need to do some testing, but I'm pretty sure my car has a mix of both styles from the factory. The driver's door definitely has the new style, but I think the passenger has an old unit with little or no movement. Not sure about the rear doors. I'll check it more closely tonight and report back.

Haven't ever had any of the handles replaced. Whatever's in there now is what came off the factory floor. I think I prefer the new style handles overall.

I was wrong, please disregard. All my handles are the new type with a larger motion.

I've just had all 4 handles swapped out for this new style. I like the fact that there is a little bit of motion when you pull, but Tesla should have moved the little downward pointing light. With the handle not coming out quite as far, the light opening is only partly exposed.

Here's something a bit weird: When I pulled in to the SC parking lot to pick my car up, it was sitting there with both drivers' side handles extended and both passenger side handles retracted. I mentioned it inside, and the service guy came out and unlocked/locked the car and they all went in. He couldn't get it to do it again.