Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New door handle does not present, but opens the door directly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I repaired door handles myself and know about all the common problems with door handles.

But today I have a door handle issue I never saw up to now:

After a small accident with my 2013 S85 the drivers side door had to be replaced in an approved body shop. With the new door the the door handle apparrently did not fit anymore and had to be exchanged with a newer version. According to the body shop, new and adapted cables have been supplied and there was no possibility to wrongly connect the cables (did not yet check myself yet).

Now, the driver side door handle works somehow, but wrongly: It does not extend at all, but when touched, it opens the door directly. This to me looks like either a cabling problem, a configuration problem or a software problem.
The body shop has difficulties to get a solution for this problem from Tesla :-(, so I thought, I could ask you guys if someone already had this problem or even better, a solution. :)

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot

Heinz

I'm having the same issue with one of my Gen 3 door handles. I replaced both the motor and the module inside but that didn't fix the issue. there is a circut board that looks like it all the door functions. I'm going to try replacing that before I shell out for a SC to fix it.

I'm having the same issue with one of my Gen 3 door handles. I replaced both the motor and the module inside but that didn't fix the issue. there is a circut board that looks like it all the door functions. I'm going to try replacing that before I shell out for a SC to fix it.
The handle not presenting is either a broken paddle gear (which you would have seen) or a calibration issue on the new Gen 3 handles. You most likely have to have them hook it up to their system to calibrate it if the paddle gear is not broken.

I am having the same problem after software update 2022.40.4. Right rear handle will not present but when pushed will open door. Also pulling it manually out with a plastic card will open the door. That handle is also a version 3 installed by body shop after side swiping accident 3 years ago,

I wonder if the Gen 3 handles haven't been properly configured. Most items on cars are not plug-and-play, so it could be if the prior handle was Gen-2, the software is attempting to operate your Gen-3 handle with odd results. When Tesla switches from Gen-2 to Gen-3, they would update the car's configuration. Note that I don't know this for a fact, but seems likely as Tesla-installed Gen-3 handles do not have these problems.