Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW DOOR LATCHES!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BLKMDL3

Supporting Member
Just went to the Tesla store today and the manager was showing me around and I was looking at inventory cars and he pointed out they just re-did the door latches front and rear. They WILL NOT fail or creak. They are SILENT. The noise we hear is plastic pieces rubbing and they completely just re-did it and didn't publicize it. This is one of the unpublicized new tweaks. Has anyone been told this. I saw the latches and they looked a little different.
Zack

Just in time...I'm going to bringing in my X for it's 1 year check-up in a few weeks. I hope I can get my hands on these new latches, since my passenger-side fwd door started clicking the first time I tried the ModelXmas show back in December. And my driver's door doesn't reliably close, especially in the cold.

Just in time...I'm going to bringing in my X for it's 1 year check-up in a few weeks. I hope I can get my hands on these new latches, since my passenger-side fwd door started clicking the first time I tried the ModelXmas show back in December. And my driver's door doesn't reliably close, especially in the cold.
He said the new ones all have them and they will retrofit any cars sold. Ask the SvC.

Reactions: X Fan and vandacca
I was at my SC last week and asked about the new latches then. I was told they hadn't been released to the field yet but would be installing them as soon as the parts were available. He said they would be for the front doors only, though, so take it for what it's worth.

Better than nothing! does yours have issues?
No. I stopped by the Tesla Store while my wife was shopping a few weeks ago and one of the Tesla employees I had worked with before purchasing my car mentioned that my car had a gen 2 latch and that when I took my car in they would proactively swap out the latches to ones that were more quiet. When I got to the SC a week later and asked about them I was told they had not been released for installations yet. Doesn't sound like a mechanical problem as much as a better sounding mechanism. He said they would make the swap when I returned in December for my yearly as there was nothing to worry about with the ones I already had.

I was told by the Tesla salesperson (he also spends time at the Costa Mesa SC) that my trip to the SC was to fix a popping sound in one of my FWD. He said they would probably also replace the latches at the same time at no cost. Sounds like work that would be performed was a proactive step coming out of HQ. Not sure of the exact reason but they appear to be doing it at their expense.

I was told by the Tesla salesperson (he also spends time at the Costa Mesa SC) that my trip to the SC was to fix a popping sound in one of my FWD. He said they would probably also replace the latches at the same time at no cost. Sounds like work that would be performed was a proactive step coming out of HQ. Not sure of the exact reason but they appear to be doing it at their expense.
Well, we did spend over $100k on these vehicles, so I'm thinking Tesla included a hefty profit to cover items like this. As they get these issues ironed out and production line running more smoothly, they'll be able to get even better profit margins on the newer vehicles.

Just went to the Tesla store today and the manager was showing me around and I was looking at inventory cars and he pointed out they just re-did the door latches front and rear. They WILL NOT fail or creak. They are SILENT. The noise we hear is plastic pieces rubbing and they completely just re-did it and didn't publicize it. This is one of the unpublicized new tweaks.
I wasn't aware of this issue with the X latches. Are you referring to the front doors or the Falcon WIngs? Or do they use the same latch?

Tesla is constantly making changes and improvements to the S and X. Most of them we don't even know about. A few are things we notice. And even fewer are publicized by Tesla. I love a company that never stops improving their products!

Reactions: vandacca
I wasn't aware of this issue with the X latches. Are you referring to the front doors or the Falcon WIngs? Or do they use the same latch?

Tesla is constantly making changes and improvements to the S and X. Most of them we don't even know about. A few are things we notice. And even fewer are publicized by Tesla. I love a company that never stops improving their products!
If they were going to replace latches on my X it would have been only the front ones. Didn't sound like the FWD were affected.

wow... my MX is in the service center right now becasue passanger side latch just keeps clicking and wont close ( so aggrivating). They said they replaced that latch, but should I ask for all latches to be replaced at this point? Will they do it? 7 ships to the SC in one year....hope they do it. Thanks for the heads up!

Just went to the Tesla store today and the manager was showing me around and I was looking at inventory cars and he pointed out they just re-did the door latches front and rear. They WILL NOT fail or creak. They are SILENT. The noise we hear is plastic pieces rubbing and they completely just re-did it and didn't publicize it. This is one of the unpublicized new tweaks. Has anyone been told this. I saw the latches and they looked a little different.
Zack

We just took delivery of our second model X and I immediately pointed out to my wife how much quieter the new door are. Glad to know I was not imagining things:)

wow... my MX is in the service center right now becasue passanger side latch just keeps clicking and wont close ( so aggrivating). They said they replaced that latch, but should I ask for all latches to be replaced at this point? Will they do it? 7 ships to the SC in one year....hope they do it. Thanks for the heads up!
I would absolutely ask for the updated part. I wish my older X had them.