TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New door sills

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by zdre, Oct 3, 2015.

1. zdre

zdre 40kWh Model S P6415

Does anyone have pictures of the new metal(?) door sills?

2. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

The metal sills have been around since the introduction of the Dual Engine Model S.... almost a year now.... Is there something even "Newer" that I am not aware of???

image.jpeg

3. zdre

zdre 40kWh Model S P6415

Sorry, didn't realize it has been that long... But anyway, I have not seen them until now. Thanks!

4. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Hey that is OK. There is a lot to keep track of and some of these items are very subtile.
    A while back I saw a post here that had a photo of one of the metal door sills that the owner purchased and
    applied inside the upper shelf area of his frunk. It looked rather nice IMHO.

BTW, when TM came out with the new sills, it was totally unannounced. There has been no mention of them
    in any formal manner that I am aware of.

5. BG121

BG121 Member

I have the original door sills and tried to upgrade them. The Palo Alto and Fremont SCs refused to sell them to me and said only owners of P85 and 85D owners can purchase them which sucks. I have an S85. They also told me that they scratch very easily so if I am concerned about scuffs on my current door sills then add leather/vinyl protectant and I will be better off.

6. mmccord

mmccord Member

I have an 85d and didn't realize older cars had different sills. I can confirm they scratch very easily. Both of mine were scratched within the first month.

7. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

I have metal sills on my October 2014 S85. Signature. Also came with metal sills in trunk and frunk. No scratches.

8. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Don't feel too bad, the plastic ones also scratch really easily. All things equal, scratched metal probably looks better than scratched plastic.

9. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

10. dpodoll

dpodoll Member

My 70D has the new door sills. I had X-Pel put on them to protect from scratches.

11. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

12. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

I put them in my early VIN car, and installed them myself with a tape measure, marking off where the ends needed to be with painters tape, then did Armor all over them and the rest of the sill. the covered most of the scratches nicely and made the other ones less noticeable as your eye is drawn toward the "Model S" wordmark. Sorry, no pics of it as it never occurred to me to take any and it is now dark outside. Maybe tomorrow if I remember.

13. artsci

artsci Sponsor

You mean these?:)

DSC_5331.JPG

14. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

That is waaaaaay more upmarket than what I did.