TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Drive unit for 2016 refresh

Discussion in 'Model S' started by LVGhost, Dec 28, 2016.

1. LVGhost

LVGhost Member

Last night while driving I received an error that the car needs service and the power is reduced. Called Tesla roadside and they recommended pulling over and turning off the car to reset it. That seemed to do the trick and they recommended I take it to the service center the next day. I brought it in and after the diagnostics they determined it was necessary to replace the drive train. They had it in stock and will finish in a couple hours. Although I'm not thrilled my 3 month old car needed a new DU I must say I was happy about how great the service center service was.

2. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

I don't want to spoil your happiness, but do you know if the drive unit being used to replace your failed drive unit was a new one or a rebuilt / remanufactured / reconditioned / whatever-term-Tesla-uses one? I ask because there have been posts on here where people with nearly new cars wind up getting their faulty drive units replaced with drive units that are not new, as that is allowed, as per the warranty terms. On a three month old car, I'd really want to make sure I was receiving a brand-spanking new drive unit, if at all possible.

• Like x 3
  3. LVGhost

LVGhost Member

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check.

• Like x 1
  4. voltronhb

voltronhb Member

We also had the same issue and the drive unit was replaced for our 3 month old model S.

5. LuPapa

LuPapa Member

Another way of looking at is that the brand new DU from a factory that makes x thousand a day lasted 3 months. So a remanufactuered one that someone intentionally repaired and definitely tested might be better.

• Like x 2
  6. croman

croman Active Member

That's what I was thinking. Who knows? It all has an 8 year unlimited mile warranty on it anyways.

7. LVGhost

LVGhost Member

Is yours working ok now?

8. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

9. Wshowell

Wshowell Member

Out of curiosity, is the new DU warrantied for 8 years from: day car was purchased, date part was installed or date part was manufactured? I ask because the people that have had several DU's replaced on their 2012 models are half way through the warranty if the length of that warranty is based on the purchase date of the car. That would concern me that the can was just being kicked down the road versus the problem really being resolved. If each new DU restarts the 8 year clock then it's just an annoyance.

10. LVGhost

LVGhost Member

Here's an update. After getting things fixed today my car died about 15 miles from the service center. Currently waiting for a tow back, ugh.

• Funny x 2
  11. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

Did you ever find out if they were putting in a brand new drive unit or not? If they didn't last time, and the one they put in failed, I would definitely ask for a new one this time.

12. zambono

zambono Member

What model do you have by the way P or S?
    I haven't heard much of newer drive unit issues.

13. Cyclone

Cyclone Cyclonic Member ((.oO))

8 years from delivery date of your car (and probably something like 90 days or a year for the part otherwise). So one replaced in year 6 still only has two years left.

14. LVGhost

LVGhost Member

They put in a new one. The inverter was defective and that's why the car died. Now they are installing a new one.

15. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Did they say if that was the initial cause of the drive unit problem?

16. voltronhb

voltronhb Member

New S60D delivered September 2016

17. LVGhost

LVGhost Member

I have an s75

18. Wshowell

Wshowell Member

That's NOT good. This is like signing a one year employment contract with a 30 day "termination clause". That's really a 30 contract... I have a 2015 S70 so hopefully they worked out all the issues that were causing the DU failures. I'd like to keep it past the warranty period. I know you've had all the early VIN gremlins Cyclone, hope the storm has passed for you now.

19. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

I just had mine replaced at 85k. The refurbished one they put in runs just as nice or maybe even better than my original one did.
    Is anyone getting DUs replaced on the dual motor cars? I heard they are much more reliable, and if so, it would be my #1 reason to pay for a dual configuration on my next car.

20. Cyclone

Cyclone Cyclonic Member ((.oO))

Yes, there have been reports here on TMC of dual motor Ses and Xes getting their drive units replaced.

• Informative x 1