Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Drive unit for 2016 refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night while driving I received an error that the car needs service and the power is reduced. Called Tesla roadside and they recommended pulling over and turning off the car to reset it. That seemed to do the trick and they recommended I take it to the service center the next day. I brought it in and after the diagnostics they determined it was necessary to replace the drive train. They had it in stock and will finish in a couple hours. Although I'm not thrilled my 3 month old car needed a new DU I must say I was happy about how great the service center service was.

I don't want to spoil your happiness, but do you know if the drive unit being used to replace your failed drive unit was a new one or a rebuilt / remanufactured / reconditioned / whatever-term-Tesla-uses one? I ask because there have been posts on here where people with nearly new cars wind up getting their faulty drive units replaced with drive units that are not new, as that is allowed, as per the warranty terms. On a three month old car, I'd really want to make sure I was receiving a brand-spanking new drive unit, if at all possible.

I don't want to spoil your happiness, but do you know if the drive unit being used to replace your failed drive unit was a new one or a rebuilt / remanufactured / reconditioned / whatever-term-Tesla-uses one? I ask because there have been posts on here where people with nearly new cars wind up getting their faulty drive units replaced with drive units that are not new, as that is allowed, as per the warranty terms. On a three month old car, I'd really want to make sure I was receiving a brand-spanking new drive unit, if at all possible.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check.

Reactions: Andyw2100

Another way of looking at is that the brand new DU from a factory that makes x thousand a day lasted 3 months. So a remanufactuered one that someone intentionally repaired and definitely tested might be better.

Reactions: JRP3 and EVTECH
Out of curiosity, is the new DU warrantied for 8 years from: day car was purchased, date part was installed or date part was manufactured? I ask because the people that have had several DU's replaced on their 2012 models are half way through the warranty if the length of that warranty is based on the purchase date of the car. That would concern me that the can was just being kicked down the road versus the problem really being resolved. If each new DU restarts the 8 year clock then it's just an annoyance.

Out of curiosity, is the new DU warrantied for 8 years from: day car was purchased, date part was installed or date part was manufactured? I ask because the people that have had several DU's replaced on their 2012 models are half way through the warranty if the length of that warranty is based on the purchase date of the car. That would concern me that the can was just being kicked down the road versus the problem really being resolved. If each new DU restarts the 8 year clock then it's just an annoyance.

8 years from delivery date of your car (and probably something like 90 days or a year for the part otherwise). So one replaced in year 6 still only has two years left.

8 years from delivery date of your car (and probably something like 90 days or a year for the part otherwise). So one replaced in year 6 still only has two years left.
That's NOT good. This is like signing a one year employment contract with a 30 day "termination clause". That's really a 30 contract... I have a 2015 S70 so hopefully they worked out all the issues that were causing the DU failures. I'd like to keep it past the warranty period. I know you've had all the early VIN gremlins Cyclone, hope the storm has passed for you now.

I just had mine replaced at 85k. The refurbished one they put in runs just as nice or maybe even better than my original one did.
Is anyone getting DUs replaced on the dual motor cars? I heard they are much more reliable, and if so, it would be my #1 reason to pay for a dual configuration on my next car.