Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New driving screen battery icon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The green-yellow-red change as battery approaches empty was not visible to folks with color blindness, so Tesla probably applied HMI design standards to the UI. This could be to meet government requirements in this upcoming federal fleet electrification program - federal government has a pre-qualification process for folks wishing to act as vendors to federal govt that requires adherence to guidelines that include accommodations for color-blindness. My company was forced to do this with our UI in order to sell our products to a govt agency.
I should probably qualify this. When I say we were “forced” to do it, I don’t mean we would not have done it eventually anyway - we want everyone to be able to use our products effectively - but the rules changed the priority of its implementation from “do it when we have time and people so everyone is accommodated” to “do it now unless you want to turn down a large sum of money and surrender business to competitors.”

Don’t even need a battery icon. Just display the percent value in text. The icon isn’t really necessary, other than to say, “this % value is for the battery.”
or in my case, I prefer to show miles which is what I do. Yea, I know there is a big debate about which display is better, but really just a personal preference for me.

When the bigger battery display is up on the screen, the green / yellow / red colors now appear more dull and muted than before. Bring back the nice bright colors! And as someone said, put a little "Battery 53%" up in the corner to make it user friendly for everyone, don't ruin the nice big picture for everybody to appease a few!

Reactions: APotatoGod