Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New driving screen battery icon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning I noticed that my new driving screen battery icon shows black. I have always seen it as green before. The charging screen battery display still shows green. The battery is charged to 80% and the OA temperature is 36 F.
Could there be a meaning to a black battery icon?
Many are thinking it's a mistake since it still shows up as green in the S & X after the update.

Reactions: Chisale
This morning I noticed that my new driving screen battery icon shows black. I have always seen it as green before. The charging screen battery display still shows green. The battery is charged to 80% and the OA temperature is 36 F.
Could there be a meaning to a black battery icon?

it means you are suffering from battery dagredation

it's to make it harder to read. someone on a computer screen, who isn't old enough to drive thinks it looks just fine.

How to Write a Car Safety Complaint to NHTSA

I don’t think the battery icon is a safety issue. And before you get all huffy puffy and exclaim that’s because YOU aren’t paying attention longer to look for a grey icon keep in mind that IS YOUR problem as your eyes should always be on the roads.

The green-yellow-red change as battery approaches empty was not visible to folks with color blindness, so Tesla probably applied HMI design standards to the UI. This could be to meet government requirements in this upcoming federal fleet electrification program - federal government has a pre-qualification process for folks wishing to act as vendors to federal govt that requires adherence to guidelines that include accommodations for color-blindness. My company was forced to do this with our UI in order to sell our products to a govt agency.