Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Dual Charging Port!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited by a moderator:
At least what we know Tesla haven't add CCS yet so let us wait and see if they do any changes for American and European Tesla.

For sure it will happen. It makes too much sense.

1. They don't want two types of stamping tooling.
2. Now that it's out there, people will demand it. And hold off orders for it.
3. The model 3 has a huge charging door that screams "dual ports". See the image in my quoted post below.
4. It finally resolves the fact that, in NA, Tesla hasn't been following the SAE standard. And that will become an increasing problem as SAE chargers proliferate.

Just for fun I scaled the CCS and Tesla sockets and overlaid them onto a scaled (or pretty close unless I messed up) image of the model 3.

Hmmm.... looks fairly incriminating. I'm now willing to bet that there are two sockets under that big door. So... that leads to the next obvious question. What are they going to do with Model S and Model X? Somehow they would need to integrate dual plugs into those cars - but the design of the existing charge port door and adjacent taillight don't suit it very well.

View attachment 225495

So we have multiple topics on this right now: [Rumor] Tesla to adopt 'local' charging stations: CCS/CHAdeMO/GB

I am happy! I expect CCS on Model S in Europe within a few months. Next summer I'll order my new S which hopefully will have CCS. Makes me happy!

I agree! This is one of the items that have been holding me off from moving to a new 100D. I was very suspicious that a dual port was coming.

This coalescing around a single standard in each market is also a sign of a maturing market. EVs cannot displace ICEs while owners have worry about which chargers they can or cannot use. Or waste time futzing with adapters. People need to be able to drive up to any charger and simply plug in - as they do with gas stations.

This is a huge and very important change.

Last edited:
Reactions: e-FTW
4. It finally resolves the fact that, in NA, Tesla hasn't been following the SAE standard. And that will become an increasing problem as SAE chargers proliferate.

Somehow we've managed to survive OK with two different, totally incompatible petroleum-based fuels, with different options for one of those fuels, yet for some reason, we_must_ have a single DCFC standard?

In fact, it doesn't take much thought to realize that the more PEVs that are sold, the _less_ of a problem multiple plugs and protocols would be. Assuming a fixed ratio cars:chargers, the more cars of a particular type that are sold, the more chargers there'd be serviing those cars, so the better coverage would become. Plus, there are _already_ plenty of dual-protocol public chargers deployed, so we know that it's not a problem for charger deployment.

It's far more important to have manufacturers back whatever system they choose, and to work to improve charging than it is to have a standard.

Somehow we've managed to survive OK with two different, totally incompatible petroleum-based fuels, with different options for one of those fuels, yet for some reason, we_must_ have a single DCFC standard?

In fact, it doesn't take much thought to realize that the more PEVs that are sold, the _less_ of a problem multiple plugs and protocols would be. Assuming a fixed ratio cars:chargers, the more cars of a particular type that are sold, the more chargers there'd be serviing those cars, so the better coverage would become. Plus, there are _already_ plenty of dual-protocol public chargers deployed, so we know that it's not a problem for charger deployment.

It's far more important to have manufacturers back whatever system they choose, and to work to improve charging than it is to have a standard.

It's ridiculous to have more than one standard plug. No automaker (even Tesla) wants to be in the charger station business long term. This is fundamentally a utility business. Already, in Ontario, there are more CCS DCFC stations than Tesla stations.

Tesla's dual ports approach is perfect.

It's ridiculous to have more than one standard plug. No automaker (even Tesla) wants to be in the charger station business long term. This is fundamentally a utility business. Already, in Ontario, there are more CCS DCFC stations than Tesla stations.

Tesla's dual ports approach is perfect.

It's cheaper to have a single socket on the car.

Why wouldn't Tesla want to be in the charging station business? If it makes the chargers, it has full control of the charging. Plus, there's either a business opportunity in chargers, or there isn't and the manufacturers will need to support the charging network. Also, given the existence and intentions of Tesla Energy, I don't see why it would see supplying power as something to avoid.

I agree! This is one of the items that have been holding me off from moving to a new 100D. I was very suspicious that a dual port was coming.

This coalescing around a single standard in each market is also a sign of a maturing market. EVs cannot displace ICEs while owners have worry about which chargers they can or cannot use. Or waste time futzing with adapters. People need to be able to drive up to any charger and simply plug in - as they do with gas stations.

This is a huge and very important change.
The moment this happens my long-deferred order happens. Tesla really does need Supercharger/CCS/CHAdeMO in many markets and the China domestic option is an excellent motivation. Since the CharIN/CCS communications protocols are already in S&X the extra plug will be superb backup. The Supercharger buildout will eliminate most of these needs but not all of them. Color me happy! ..Even though it's klugey.

Reactions: sandpiper
Not sure about no dongles :p
So CCS2 + ChaDeMo in EU. Seems reasonable, all works well.
What about US? CCS1 + ChaDeMo + Tesla proprietary?
Or, they just keep the taillight plug in place and ADD those two there (optional?)o_O

I guess CCS2 will be the standard socket on Model3 EU (charging port cover size).
And adapter for seldom ChaDeMo for those who REALLY need that.

It's cheaper to have a single socket on the car.

Why wouldn't Tesla want to be in the charging station business? If it makes the chargers, it has full control of the charging. Plus, there's either a business opportunity in chargers, or there isn't and the manufacturers will need to support the charging network. Also, given the existence and intentions of Tesla Energy, I don't see why it would see supplying power as something to avoid.

Because ultimately, I'm convinced, the resellers will fall out of the market. This is a bit like the early ISP market. at the beginning there were many small companies selling access onto the telecom provider trunks. The market slowly consolidated, and the telecoms themselves are the only ones left standing.

Eventually it will be a market dominated by the utilities themselves, or by companies closely associated with the utilities. It's also what we have with gas stations.

Reactions: brkaus
Note that the Electrek article was wrong. They aren’t abandoning the tail light type 2 plug for the China market, it is still there. They just added two new plugs, one Chinese AC and one Chinese DC plug.

Interesting...

But yeah, to me it seems obvious Tesla was preparing for something like this when the added such a vast charge port on Model 3.

Reactions: e-FTW
Ugh, I want a CCS adapter. If they go this route with new cars, they probably won’t bother making an adapter.

I would prefer multiple inlets on the car to adapters, especially for DC fast charging. I also believe that would be better accepted by the general public, encouraging more non-technical people to switch to EVs.

One standard DC Plug would be better yet, but only after the dust settles and there is a clear future-proof standard.

In lieu of a CCS adapter for your car, perhaps businesses with CCS-only chargers can be persuaded to switch to a dual Chademo-CCS charger. I think some chargers can be upgraded to dual plugs, instead of replaced.

GSP

Because ultimately, I'm convinced, the resellers will fall out of the market. This is a bit like the early ISP market. at the beginning there were many small companies selling access onto the telecom provider trunks. The market slowly consolidated, and the telecoms themselves are the only ones left standing.

Eventually it will be a market dominated by the utilities themselves, or by companies closely associated with the utilities. It's also what we have with gas stations.

I hesitated to click "like", but I do definitely agree. The utilities can do this without significant overhead.