Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Edmunds' Article. Mach-E GT vs MYP.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forgive the ignorant question, but is the Ford Mach-E GT considered an SUV?

If not, wouldn't it be comparing the Ford to the Model 3 a more appropriate match up?

If the Ford is an SUV, then sure... valid comparison.

Again, forgive the ignorance.
The Mach-E is the Ford's best shot at EVs and they currently have nothing else. As the fastest Ford, the Mach-E GT should be compared to the
61OAe64d+AL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
And my guess is that the small crossover form factor of the Mach-E is solely due to inability of Ford engineers to pack a thick battery pack in a lower height profile vehicle leaving reasonable space for the occupants.

Reactions: bobby g
Forgive the ignorant question, but is the Ford Mach-E GT considered an SUV?

If not, wouldn't it be comparing the Ford to the Model 3 a more appropriate match up?

If the Ford is an SUV, then sure... valid comparison.

Again, forgive the ignorance.

Edit: To clarify... the Model Y is an SUV.
The definition of an SUV has changed considerably over the years.

I'd consider the Model Y / Mach E a CUV in my opinion.

But they are both listed as SUVs.

Slander and lies? That’s not what I saw. I watched the video and thought it was a pretty fair and honest review. The reviewer had plenty of positive and negative to say about both cars, and in the end gave the edge to Tesla for not limiting performance after 5 seconds of hard acceleration. I don’t own either car, so maybe the negatives would have been harder to hear if I owned one. I have taken test drives in both (not the performance models) and think they are both a lot of fun to drive.
Have you gotten the Mache E yet or what?

Slander and lies? That’s not what I saw. I watched the video and thought it was a pretty fair and honest review. The reviewer had plenty of positive and negative to say about both cars, and in the end gave the edge to Tesla for not limiting performance after 5 seconds of hard acceleration. I don’t own either car, so maybe the negatives would have been harder to hear if I owned one. I have taken test drives in both (not the performance models) and think they are both a lot of fun to drive.
Here is a clever marketing trick. "hands-free", "Extra layers of security", "feels seamless when in operation", "a step above Tesla"
"this car comes with BlueCruise, which is Ford's new hands-free driving system. That combines adaptive cruise control with automatic lane centering and it adds extra layers of security that in our experience make it feel seamless when in operation on the road. For that reason, we would elevate BlueCruise a step above Tesla's autopilot."

None of these statements is legally untrue, but they all propagate specific lies that the Blue Cruise is a safe system that can be used for hands-free driving, and it is a better system than Tesla's. If you watch Munro experience with Blue Cruise, you'll know what I am talking about. I saw already several Mach-E owners reported they caught the car not seeing the car in front of it when driving on Blue Cruise or whatever 360- or 420- Ford has, so they had to manually slow down. I mean, this is a safety disaster, man. And Edmunds, reading deceptive Ford's press release about BlueClues, puts people in real danger.

Have you watched the same video? It is a very honest review, where he highlights the pros and cons of both cars. It is undeniable the Ford handles better, mainly due to the Magnaride suspension and this is objectively proven when you look at the skidpad numbers and brake figures. FSD is a joke and I would also be pissed off if I had paid so much for vaporware. He explains the 5-second limitation and I expect that to do a lot of damage to potential Ford buyers.

At the end of the video, he clearly says the Tesla is the winner, but he is not a fanboy and acknowledges what each car does well (and not so well). Where do you see the slander and lies?

Overall a great video, way better than the ones where they say Tesla is amazing and everything is fantastic. The Model Y is still the leader in this segment and my prefered option, but it has lots of issues/improvements. Hopefully having a bit of competition could be a wake-up call, and at the end of the day we all win.

Have you watched the same video? It is a very honest review, where he highlights the pros and cons of both cars. It is undeniable the Ford handles better, mainly due to the Magnaride suspension and this is objectively proven when you look at the skidpad numbers and brake figures. FSD is a joke and I would also be pissed off if I had paid so much for vaporware. He explains the 5-second limitation and I expect that to do a lot of damage to potential Ford buyers.

At the end of the video, he clearly says the Tesla is the winner, but he is not a fanboy and acknowledges what each car does well (and not so well). Where do you see the slander and lies?

Overall a great video, way better than the ones where they say Tesla is amazing and everything is fantastic. The Model Y is still the leader in this segment and my prefered option, but it has lots of issues/improvements. Hopefully having a bit of competition could be a wake-up call, and at the end of the day we all win.
I watched it and there's bit of questionable intent. They used a year old MYP, did not verify its max range after it's been flogged for how many videos for a year? Then the clown states they real world tested range of the two cars. The KEY for those paying attention here is the size difference of the batteries, the Ford with 100kwh vs 82kwh in the Tesla. There's a huge issue with just stating the range w/o one, the size of the batteries and two, the age and level of usage of the year old longterm test car.

Ya think this clown is being honest? It's a track test and all you get is feelings. Track times determine winners and losers... and there are no track times, why?????

I thought the general downplaying of the Tesla infotainment system as being “difficult to use” was pretty silly. Also because of the lack of Apple CarPlay?

This wasn’t slander but things projected as objective whether intentional or not weren’t always the case. Price should have been more objective, using pricing with basic AP but without FSD added and at least mentioning dealer markups that can go well above MSRP.

To be fair, if you look in past vids, they have made plenty of drag race videos about MYP that give it a lot of praise as well.

IMO this video didn't fit the definition of a review and the guy admitted to owning Mustangs. Plus, it's obvious Ford has some control over their content. I say it wasn't a review because he didn't go into detail about anything. It's was just a quick opinionated piece.

And his rant about FSD had no place here at all. I guess he forgot Teslas all come with basic autopilot. As for phantom braking, it happens with Blue Cruise as well and someone complained about it yanking them hard into an occupied lane out of nowhere. Also, its stop-n-go is more limited and owners have complained that it also has issues staying centered. And we know that it hates some corners.

He also complained about losing the mapping data on the Tesla NAV when it's out of signal range, but made made no mention of that fact that if the route was mapped out, it will still show it even if it loses the mapping data. Then, he conveniently skipped taking about the Mach-e's built-in nav and gave it higher marks because it has phone integration. Nevermind the laggy, buggy interface, poor charger info and stale mapping data.

Regarding performance, they mentioned the 0-60 times, but never the quarter mile numbers in the video. They also had both cars and could have put them on the same drag strip for a head to head but of course didn't for obvious reasons. Surprisingly, in their article they mentioned the time they got for both cars:

Mach-E: 12.4 quarter at 102 mph
Model Y: 11.8 quarter at 115 mph

The skidpad numbers did favor the Mach-E but the Model Y would still beat it around a track as it has the speed advantage which they did admit.

There was so much they could have gone into but didn't. IMO, this was a fluff piece for Ford and their nod to the Model Y was just to not appear totally biased.
In any legit article with unbiased, thorough objective testing, a car with so many 'wins' against the other will generally be the top choice that's why it seemed so odd that they picked the Y.

I watched it and there's bit of questionable intent. They used a year old MYP, did not verify its max range after it's been flogged for how many videos for a year? Then the clown states they real world tested range of the two cars. The KEY for those paying attention here is the size difference of the batteries, the Ford with 100kwh vs 82kwh in the Tesla. There's a huge issue with just stating the range w/o one, the size of the batteries and two, the age and level of usage of the year old longterm test car.

Ya think this clown is being honest? It's a track test and all you get is feelings. Track times determine winners and losers... and there are no track times, why?????
So.... his feeling that the Tesla was better than the Ford is wrong?

What am I missing here? Are you peddling FUD saying that the Tesla (greatest car in the world, all hale Elon) LOST ???

MADNESS I SAY!!!

Keith

Reactions: saltsman and carz
So.... his feeling that the Tesla was better than the Ford is wrong?

What am I missing here? Are you peddling FUD saying that the Tesla (greatest car in the world, all hale Elon) LOST ???

MADNESS I SAY!!!

Keith
Did I write any of the BS you just suggested? What did I write, read it again. I wrote that the Edmunds clown has VERY QUESTIONABLE intent. The crap he complained about on FSD is utter FUD. Like how he suggested after a year FSD is still no good, that it isn't a finished product. Hello, WHO THE ****? The wording of everything is to fool the laymen. There's so many half truths thru the video it's ridiculous.

The review seemed fine to me... They highlighted some major reasons that the Tesla was better. Every writer has some artistic liberty as long as it is his perception and not blatantly false.

• MYP ride is kinda rough... really needs air suspension (this is my opinion)
  • Some people don't like tesla's screen integration
  • "Mustang Mach E GT Performance" seems like a silly name for 5 seconds of actual performance

I actually hope we get to a point where Tesla isn't winning every EV comparison for legitimate reasons, that is a win for the consumer. At the moment, when a Tesla loses a comparison it is usually to help the writer get clicks by listing some BS reasons. Lucid, Rivian, etc.. are starting to provide some actual competition and that is great!

Blue Cruise cuts off in a curve of over 25 degrees. In an Out of Spec Motoring drive from Colorado to California and back their Mach E on Blue Cruise tried to run into the rear of a semi on the interstate, a light rain confused the system.

I would imagine it will be improved over time, so these are teething problems.

I agree this is a fluff piece for the Mach-E, and that's fine. As a guy who owned a 1964.5 Mustang as my first car, I cringe that they named their EV offering the same. Ford really should have thought of a different and better name. Also, comparing a year old MYP (that they've admittedly thrashed) to a brand new Mach-E (ugh) is unfair. But, I feel this review is more about "hey, you should at least give the Mach-E a look" vs. "It's better than a Tesla". The Tesla is a much better looking vehicle IMO, and I just didn't trust Ford's ability to effectively adjust to the EV market to give the first-gen a look. Five years from now.. maybe.. Oh, and that 5 second cutoff is inexcusable - and would be a deal-breaker for me regardless.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whatstreet
The Mach-E is the Ford's best shot at EVs and they currently have nothing else. As the fastest Ford, the Mach-E GT should be compared to the
61OAe64d+AL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
And my guess is that the small crossover form factor of the Mach-E is solely due to inability of Ford engineers to pack a thick battery pack in a lower height profile vehicle leaving reasonable space for the occupants.

Wait, are you seriously suggesting that the Mach-E GT--a $60,000 CUV--needs to be compared to the f'ing Model S PLAID? There seems to be a big pot/kettle situation with you criticizing Edmunds objectivity.

Reactions: Fourdoor and carz
Wait, are you seriously suggesting that the Mach-E GT--a $60,000 CUV--needs to be compared to the f'ing Model S PLAID? There seems to be a big pot/kettle situation with you criticizing Edmunds objectivity.
Don't you think Ford would make a two-door Mustang ev coup as fast as 2s to 60 mph if they could? They planned for 50k mach-e a year anyway that is less than the annual mustang sales in the first years.

Don't you think Ford would make a two-door Mustang ev coup as fast as 2s to 60 mph if they could? They planned for 50k mach-e a year anyway that is less than the annual mustang sales in the first years.

Doesn't answer the question of why you think the Mach-E has to be measured against the Model S plaid. But no, I have no reason to think that Ford is interested in a powerful, low volume EV coupe right now. Established automakers have a huge CAFE and GHG incentive to roll out mass-market EVs and little incentive to cannibalize their high margin, low volume ICE sports cars.

Doesn't answer the question of why you think the Mach-E has to be measured against the Model S plaid. But no, I have no reason to think that Ford is interested in a powerful, low volume EV coupe right now. Established automakers have a huge CAFE and GHG incentive to roll out mass-market EVs and little incentive to cannibalize their high margin, low volume ICE sports cars.
Speaking of low volume, you may check Ford Mustang sales in the first years. If Tesla Model 3, a sedan, became a modestly high volume vehicle, there is no reason to believe another non-SUV/Truck can't become too a relatively high-volume vehicle provided it is a really good one. The fact that Ford aimed for 50,000 Mach-E SUVs in 2021, while they aimed for 100,000 Mustang coupes in 1965, tells me all I need to know about the seriousness of Ford about EVs and about the quality of their offer.

Reactions: laservet
Did I write any of the BS you just suggested? What did I write, read it again. I wrote that the Edmunds clown has VERY QUESTIONABLE intent. The crap he complained about on FSD is utter FUD. Like how he suggested after a year FSD is still no good, that it isn't a finished product. Hello, WHO THE ****? The wording of everything is to fool the laymen. There's so many half truths thru the video it's ridiculous.
What about the statement that Fake Self Drive (that is what FSD stands for isn't it?) is no good is incorrect?

Now your statement has truly confused me... are you saying that FSD (regular Beta, or BETA Beta) are refinished products and he is lying about them not being finished, or are you saying that they are perpetually unfinished products as denoted by the "BETA" designation and that this is obvious to everyone and pointing out this fact is somehow biased?

Ummm, on the "WHO THE *****?" question, I think the answer has to be "the guy in the video". Hope that helps.

Keith

I think MOST people only get on the accelerator for 5sec anyway. From a dead stop that brings either car well over 60mph. Yes, the 1/4mi are vastly different, but in your average day to day driver isnt going to stomp on it all the way to the triple digits, deep into reckless driving territory. There are certainly people who would, but that is not MOST people.

I think Tesla has better thermal management and that goes a long way, but for your average joe test driving an SUV, either is plenty good.... it all comes down to what you like more. Technology or old school car feel.