Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Edmunds' Article. Mach-E GT vs MYP.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

alexgr

Aug 13, 2019
"The Mustang Mach-E GT felt more refined and capable at high speeds on a track than the Tesla Model Y Performance."
And, of course, BluesClues is better than the Autopilot (because FSD is not working yet, duh.)

Questions: is something wrong with me and my perception of the reality or Edmunds just pukes lie after lie slandering Tesla? People on the Mach-E forum, the actual owners, agree that the Mach-E beats Tesla in every category except for a power limitation.

Edmunds did declare the Model Y as the winner in this comparison. I didn't find too many things in this video that I would disagree with, even though I've never driven a Mach-E GT. I guess I would disagree with the notion that MY has a punishing ride, since I don't feel that way personally. But plenty of MY owners do think the ride is too rough. I don't know if BlueCruise is actually better than Autopilot, but I've read tons of complaints on Autopilot on these forums, so it may be true even though the use case for BlueCruise seems to be severely limited.

I do wish they went into the reason why there's a 5 second power limit on the Mach-E GT though. It points to some real thermal management issues of the battery, which could be a long term problem.

Anyway, I'm mildly surprised that the Mach-E GT wasn't the winner in this comparison. I guess the MYP is pretty good after all. I know I love mine!

Reactions: iamnid
Edmunds did declare the Model Y as the winner in this comparison. I didn't find too many things in this video that I would disagree with, even though I've never driven a Mach-E GT. I guess I would disagree with the notion that MY has a punishing ride, since I don't feel that way personally. But plenty of MY owners do think the ride is too rough. I don't know if BlueCruise is actually better than Autopilot, but I've read tons of complaints on Autopilot on these forums, so it may be true even though the use case for BlueCruise seems to be severely limited.

I do wish they went into the reason why there's a 5 second power limit on the Mach-E GT though. It points to some real thermal management issues of the battery, which could be a long term problem.

Anyway, I'm mildly surprised that the Mach-E GT wasn't the winner in this comparison. I guess the MYP is pretty good after all. I know I love mine!
Yes, sure.
I have specific concerns with several things said about the Model Y.

at 6:50 "it's pretty easily becomes unbalanced". When talking about the Mach-E he says it behaves as Mustang.
7:25 "It makes it feel kind of shaky and unsettled"
7:41 "On the track the Mach-E GT is a more complete package. It's handling, braking, and responsiveness feel cohesive and sharp in a way that makes this Model Y feel messy by comparison" WTH if you can't do a track because of overheating.
11:10 "but if you go on long trips you will start feel hard spots after a while"
13:09 On Model Y "comparing with competing infotainment systems, it's pretty distracting to use". On Mach-E they find things easier to find than on Tesla. I was using both UIs, and you have to have a pretty twisted imagination to make such statement.
15:26 "this car comes with BlueCruise, which is Ford's new hands-free driving system. That combines adaptive cruise control with automatic lane centering and it adds extra layers of security that in our experience make it feel seamless when in operation on the road. For that reason, we would elevate BlueCruise a step above Tesla's autopilot."

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
I don't care how the reviewer "felt" that day.

Show me the numbers.

Tesla doesn't advertise ($$$ for play) so the usual suspects will continue putting out these hit pieces/click-bait.

"The Mustang Mach-E GT felt more refined and capable at high speeds on a track than the Tesla Model Y Performance."
And, of course, BluesClues is better than the Autopilot (because FSD is not working yet, duh.)

Questions: is something wrong with me and my perception of the reality or Edmunds just pukes lie after lie slandering Tesla? People on the Mach-E forum, the actual owners, agree that the Mach-E beats Tesla in every category except for a power limitation.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Show me the numbers.
One thing that surprised me when I looked at the numbers was 0.99g lateral skidpad on the Mach-E GT. It is a huge improvement from 0.84g on non-GT models. Is this due to slightly wider tires (245) and MagneRide suspension? If true, then the GT is a potentially good car (provided it is outfit with a working heat management system). Remember Tesla had plans for an adaptive suspension on Model Y. Could be time for Tesla to introduce the airsuspension and a new performance MY.

Reactions: scottf200
Yes, sure.
I have specific concerns with several things said about the Model Y.

at 6:50 "it's pretty easily becomes unbalanced". When talking about the Mach-E he says it behaves as Mustang.
7:25 "It makes it feel kind of shaky and unsettled"
7:41 "On the track the Mach-E GT is a more complete package. It's handling, braking, and responsiveness feel cohesive and sharp in a way that makes this Model Y feel messy by comparison" WTH if you can't do a track because of overheating.
11:10 "but if you go on long trips you will start feel hard spots after a while"
13:09 On Model Y "comparing with competing infotainment systems, it's pretty distracting to use". On Mach-E they find things easier to find than on Tesla. I was using both UIs, and you have to have a pretty twisted imagination to make such statement.
15:26 "this car comes with BlueCruise, which is Ford's new hands-free driving system. That combines adaptive cruise control with automatic lane centering and it adds extra layers of security that in our experience make it feel seamless when in operation on the road. For that reason, we would elevate BlueCruise a step above Tesla's autopilot."

I'll get downvoted into oblivion, but I don't really see an issue here. What was your opinion after driving the Mach-E on the track?

Most of these are just observations and opinions. His MY may have had those issues - or perhaps he is embellishing. It's option...

As for AP vs BlueCruise, I have no experience with the Ford, but AP has a serious phantom breaking problem. The Adaptive Cruise on my 6-year old Volvo is much better.

It is my understanding that the thermal limitation is actually the motors over heating, not battery pack cooling issues. Personally, weather it is a motor over heating, or battery over heating issue I can't see how they sent the GT performance version to market with such poor thermal management. From everything I have read the new suspension and wheel / tire package turns the Mach E from being a tail happy hoonable car into an actual performance car.

Keith

Slander and lies? That’s not what I saw. I watched the video and thought it was a pretty fair and honest review. The reviewer had plenty of positive and negative to say about both cars, and in the end gave the edge to Tesla for not limiting performance after 5 seconds of hard acceleration. I don’t own either car, so maybe the negatives would have been harder to hear if I owned one. I have taken test drives in both (not the performance models) and think they are both a lot of fun to drive.

Before I ordered my Tesla last month I drove about 3 Mach-E including the GT model.

I wouldn't feel threatened by the Mach-E at all because the way Ford is allowing dealers to treat customers is absolutely appalling. Not to mention with the Mach-E to get a good build you really do need to spend more money on the purchase price than the MY and the charging speed is god awful. You're basically paying more for more limited functionality as a whole. Ford had to make up the difference with better driving dynamics. The GT really does drive better than the Tesla per my own personal experience, but the limitiations, cost and absolutely HORIBBLE Ford dealer customer treatment wouldn't justify the purchase of a Mach-E, let alone any other Ford for that matter.

My experience dealing with Ford dealers with exploring a Mach-E purchase has permanently put me out of the market for ANY Ford vehicle in the future of my lifetime. I dealt with about 8 dealers and they were all pulling the same shennanigans. There is zero dealer/customer trust.

I'll get downvoted into oblivion, but I don't really see an issue here. What was your opinion after driving the Mach-E on the track?

Most of these are just observations and opinions. His MY may have had those issues - or perhaps he is embellishing. It's option...

As for AP vs BlueCruise, I have no experience with the Ford, but AP has a serious phantom breaking problem. The Adaptive Cruise on my 6-year old Volvo is much better.
Honest question; I get that the Volvo system seems better at distance control, but it does not also steer - or does it?

Honest question; I get that the Volvo system seems better at distance control, but it does not also steer - or does it?
Newer Volvos, generally those built after 2017 or 2018, have autosteer ("Pilot Assist"). For the most part it is not as good as Autopilot's autosteer because it doesn't lane-center as well and sometimes doesn't track sharper curves, but it is pretty good on most freeways and divided highways, and as noted the cruise control doesn't phantom brake. The other nice feature (compared to standard Autopilot) is you can change lanes by hitting the turn signal; it will disengage autosteer temporarily while you change lanes then smoothly re-engage.

• Informative
Reactions: pkitch
Newer Volvos, generally those built after 2017 or 2018, have autosteer ("Pilot Assist"). For the most part it is not as good as Autopilot's autosteer because it doesn't lane-center as well and sometimes doesn't track sharper curves, but it is pretty good on most freeways and divided highways, and as noted the cruise control doesn't phantom brake. The other nice feature (compared to standard Autopilot) is you can change lanes by hitting the turn signal; it will disengage autosteer temporarily while you change lanes then smoothly re-engage.
Thanks for the detail.

Reactions: bobby g
Forgive the ignorant question, but is the Ford Mach-E GT considered an SUV?

If not, wouldn't comparing the Ford to the Model 3 be a more appropriate match up?

If the Ford is an SUV, then sure... valid comparison.

Again, forgive the ignorance.

Edit: To clarify... the Model Y is an SUV.

Last edited: