TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New Edmunds Track Test

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by CapitalistOppressor, Apr 23, 2013.

1. CapitalistOppressor

CapitalistOppressor Active Member

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Acceleration
    0-30 (sec): 2.1 (2.4 w/ TC off)
    0-45 (sec): 3.1 (3.6 w/ TC off)
    0-60 (sec): 4.4 (5.2 w/ TC off)
    0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 4.1 (4.9 w/ TC off)
    0-75 (sec): 6.1 (7.4 w/ TC off)
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1/4-Mile (sec @ mph): 12.6 @ 108.4 (13.7 @ 98.7 w/ TC off)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I always said the Stig could not match the amazing TC on the Roadster. Does this also not show that the human is worse than a computer operated electric motor? Is old paradigm or ego here?[/FONT]

3. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

A quote I plan to repeat anytime somebody says the steering in Sport mode sucks:
    "Steering weight (still in Standard) was entirely appropriate and shockingly informative."

:tongue:

4. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

Off track, but I like that they have decibel measurements for full throttle and cruising at 70mph. I always wanted to know how quiet or not the S really was. For comparison, the 6 series GT is 1 dB quieter at cruising than the S.

5. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member

I saw they read the forums. I wonder if TMC realized just how much information is gleaned from here.....

6. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

I don't think your comment is off track at all, tdiggity. Noise level in a vehicle is one of many components important to its performance. A question or two, though: how much noise (hee hee) is in the data? With any vehicle, noise level will be a function, inter alia, of engine, tire tread, air pressure, ambient wind, road surface.... I'm going to suggest a 1dB difference between a 6-GT and a T-S may be well within error bars.

That said, sure love that "36.4 dB" at idle!!!! Wow.

7. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Tangent warning. Following this led me to the bunches of other entries for their long term test. Many are very short, but it's about 90% "This is awesome!" and 10% "This niggle bugged me". Overall, their impressions are extremely positive.

8. antochat

antochat Pearl White P85

Did you notice the difference in performance between the S with the performance + and the standard S we all have?

Standard S
    Braking
    30-0 (ft): 28
    60-0 (ft): 113

Handling
    Slalom (mph): 63.6
    Skid Pad Lateral Acceleration (g): 0.87 (0.85 w/ TC on)

Performance+
    Braking
    30-0 (ft): 27
    60-0 (ft): 108
    Handling
    Slalom (mph): 66.8 (66.0 w/TC off)
    Skid Pad Lateral Acceleration (g): 0.86 (0.86 w/TC on)

That's quite a difference. Sucks for us!

9. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Well a lot of that could just be Michelin vs. Continental tires. I bet your numbers would be almost identical with 265 rear Michelin Pilots on a regular performance. The slalom seems to be the only thing that might really be improved. Even temperature differential can it exibit a measurable amount.

10. CapitalistOppressor

CapitalistOppressor Active Member

Yes, I've been following them since they got the car. Their biggest complaint was from their senior editor who was doing a rant against having to reboot a car. Made me LoL :)

By and large, I get the impression they really like the car, but will ding it for occasional bugginess, and issues with build quality. Both are deserved criticisms, but my sense is that they are not going to make a big deal out of it, beyond possibly saying they plan on keeping a close eye on it to see if Tesla improves in the future.

Of course, that assumes that the car continues to be basically reliable from a mechanical standpoint. If they get a sense that the car breaks down a lot it will be game over, and they will say its awesome to drive, but suffers from major quality problems.

I'm really waiting on Consumer Reports. They haven't done an update on their long term tester in awhile, which makes me fear they might have encountered a problem and are getting their reporting ducks in a row before picking a fight with Elon. Hopefully not, but I was expecting something from them weeks ago.

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

A lot of people here stop posting when they get their car.

12. wts13

wts13 Member

https://twitter.com/CRcars/status/326416420898471937

13. 30seconds

30seconds Active Member

from Consumer Reports "Our 13 favorite green cars for Earth Day" (in case you can't get through chambo622's twitter link)

"We're nearly finishing testing the Tesla Model S, a revolutionary car that could change your mind about what an electric car can and can't do. We don't have final numbers yet, but our testers have found the car exhilarating to drive, while being very practical and efficient."

I would say that is pretty good.

14. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

There have been a ton of updates, are you looking in the right place? Most are fairly snarky and nit-picky compared to how they've treated other LT cars, I've noticed.