Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Electric Motor Technology Will Push EVs To The Next level

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Many industry experts believe that efficiency gains made to EVs over the coming years will come just as much through developments in motor and power electronics as they will through advanced new battery packs.Many industry experts believe that efficiency gains made to EVs over the coming years will come just as much through developments in motor and power electronics as they will through advanced new battery packs."

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
The motors may be efficient, but the entire car systems suck power and waste energy, and add to the weight of the vehicle, also reducing performance.
Tesla has room for improvement, but is absolutely the leader in efficiency.
A Model 3 is similar weight to a BMW 3 series, whereas I drove an EV that weighed 1/3 of that.
Weight is a massive issue in EV's.
Then again, I do have reservations on pickups (*EVs), but that's because I will be travelling and towing trailers, and using the battery for home backup (F150 Lightning).

• Love
Reactions: Brando and voyager

Tesla Model 3's IPM-SynRM electric motor explained (for geeks)

(source: www.Motor1.com UK)

Originally, Tesla was using induction (or asynchronous) electric motors (by the way, invented by Nikola Tesla).

In the Model 3, the company used IPM-SynRM motor (Internal Permanent Magnet - Synchronous Reluctance Motor), known also as PMa-SynRM Permanent Magnet Assisted Synchronous Reluctance Motor.

1649259022305.png

Tesla was (are they still??) using an induction motor on the front (or was it the rear??).
The induction motor could be turned off and allow drag free running for slight improvement in range.

Does anyone know if Tesla continues to mix motor types or have they standardized on one design?
Model 3 & Model Y would that be six identical motors currently ??
Not that it really matters (I'm sure Tesla optimize for price/performance)

I think all current dual motor Teslas use one PM and one induction motor in the rear and the front. The PM motor can't be switched off but it is more powerful in the rear where you have all the traction during launch. The front motor is scaled to be less powerful and becomes the main driver at highway speeds, the rear motor at that point only fed enough power to keep it spinning at the same speed.

I wonder what the difference this kid is supposed to have come up with vs what Tesla is already using in their cars.