Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Energy App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update 2022.36 introduces a new energy app with more detail into consumption.

In addition to driving consumption, a new Park screen will show how much battery is being used for Sentry, Cabin Overheart, mobile app usage and more.

energy-app-v2.jpg

Last edited:
We took our first road trip with the new energy app to do some leaf peeping in central VT. We drove 350 miles round-trip from our north Boston suburb to Killington Ski Resort. As you can imagine there are many uphill and downhill stretches on the drive. But mostly uphill going to VT (our lodge is at elevation 2200’) and mostly downhill coming home (we live at elevation 90’). There’s also a big up/down in both directions in the Sunapee region on I-89 in NH.
I read somewhere that when using Tesla nav it now takes terrain into account when estimating energy consumption and apparently so does the new energy app. I may have read that in the notes of one of the previous software updates.
A few observations regarding the app:
- The energy app showed our consumption only deviated (from estimated) 3-5%, using more energy going and gaining coming home. No big surprise given the elevations.
- Overall consumption: we used 62% of the battery going and 52% coming home.
- The weather was ideal so battery condition was optimal so the app indicated it affected our trip 0%. The same was true with the climate system since we were neither heating nor cooling and it was 60°-70° outside.
- It will be interesting to see how both battery condition and climate controls will affect consumption during a January ski trip. But again I thought I read somewhere that nav (and the new energy app) will take weather into consideration in their estimates as well.
- According to the new energy app the biggest consumer of energy was my driving and I was using 8-9% more than estimated. No big surprise there either since I drove a 70-75 MPH on the interstates and the trip was mostly on the interstates.
2020 MY LR/FSD/20”Wheels/Blue/VIN15XX

Reactions: GtiMart
We now have 4 places showing us energy utilisation and range.

1. Battery icon at top of screen which can be changed to show range.
2. Remaining percentage when navigating.
3. Trips screen showing wh/km
4. Energy app showing trip data or consumption data.

Which one to believe? They are each more or less correct but show a different value due to using a different interpretation or different base set of numbers. Not to mention the number of different range numbers you can get from the new energy app.

The problem is you cannot really trust the first 2 values that you can easily see while driving whereas you cannot easily access the Trips screen or Energy app when driving. Even then the Trips and Energy app data require you to perform some mental arithmetic to obtain a range number that you may be comfortable with.

I recently had the situation where the Nav stated I could do 190km to a Supercharger and arrive with about 35% SOC. The weather was bad and after about 50km the arrival SOC had dropped to about 28%. After a 100km it was now showing arrival SOC of 21%. At 130km the arrival SOC was 19% so I bailed and pulled in to a 3rd party charging site. During this I tried to work out a confirmation that I could make it to the Supercharger. Using the Trips and Energy App just confused things more especially as I was trying to look at the these screens while travelling at about 110km/h in poor weather.

The range of the car had basically halved due to the weather conditions. However, the car only worked this out part way into the trip. If I had know that the range would be reduced and the predicted arrival SOC started at 19% and remained at 19% I would have trusted that I would make it to the next Supercharger.

I lost confidence in the data. The new energy app just makes this situation worse.

@Gratulin which of those four places model the impact of weather, elevation changes, traffic, speed, distance, and HVAC vs. extrapolating from recent consumption?

I expected that:
  1. The battery icon doesn't model any of that. It's just average range in good road conditions.
  2. Nav's "arrival SoC %" should model most of those factors in recent software releases -- but your example shows otherwise.
  3. The Trips screen just shows totals from recent trips? (I don't use it.)
  4. I don't yet have the new Energy app, but doesn't it show recent consumption with straight line extrapolation from there? So it'll take a while on a trip for road conditions to influence it and it does no prediction (like considering different weather, elevation changes, and curves in the upcoming mountain part of the trip).
  5. A Better Route Planner models these factors but not predicted traffic.
What sort of bad weather halved the range but didn't make you slow down below 110km/h?

@Gratulin which of those four places model the impact of weather, elevation changes, traffic, speed, distance, and HVAC vs. extrapolating from recent consumption?

I expected that:
  1. The battery icon doesn't model any of that. It's just average range in good road conditions.
  2. Nav's "arrival SoC %" should model most of those factors in recent software releases -- but your example shows otherwise.
  3. The Trips screen just shows totals from recent trips? (I don't use it.)
  4. I don't yet have the new Energy app, but doesn't it show recent consumption with straight line extrapolation from there? So it'll take a while on a trip for road conditions to influence it and it does no prediction (like considering different weather, elevation changes, and curves in the upcoming mountain part of the trip).
  5. A Better Route Planner models these factors but not predicted traffic.
What sort of bad weather halved the range but didn't make you slow down below 110km/h?
It was raining but ok visibility, about 13 degrees Celsius - not enough to need to slow and not enough to have affected the range as much as it did. The average efficiency for our trip was 175 wh/km and on this stretch it was 260 wh/km.

The new energy graph is impossible for me to read while driving. The old one could be glanced at to get a rough indication of how consumption was going but beyond that it didn’t help much.

We now have 4 places showing us energy utilisation and range.

1. Battery icon at top of screen which can be changed to show range.
2. Remaining percentage when navigating.
3. Trips screen showing wh/km
4. Energy app showing trip data or consumption data.

Which one to believe? They are each more or less correct but show a different value due to using a different interpretation or different base set of numbers. Not to mention the number of different range numbers you can get from the new energy app.

The problem is you cannot really trust the first 2 values that you can easily see while driving whereas you cannot easily access the Trips screen or Energy app when driving. Even then the Trips and Energy app data require you to perform some mental arithmetic to obtain a range number that you may be comfortable with.

I recently had the situation where the Nav stated I could do 190km to a Supercharger and arrive with about 35% SOC. The weather was bad and after about 50km the arrival SOC had dropped to about 28%. After a 100km it was now showing arrival SOC of 21%. At 130km the arrival SOC was 19% so I bailed and pulled in to a 3rd party charging site. During this I tried to work out a confirmation that I could make it to the Supercharger. Using the Trips and Energy App just confused things more especially as I was trying to look at the these screens while travelling at about 110km/h in poor weather.

The range of the car had basically halved due to the weather conditions. However, the car only worked this out part way into the trip. If I had know that the range would be reduced and the predicted arrival SOC started at 19% and remained at 19% I would have trusted that I would make it to the next Supercharger.

I lost confidence in the data. The new energy app just makes this situation worse.
1- Range is base on EPA. It does not give you your real range estimate.
2- I assume it's the battery icon as per point 1 ?
3- this is where you only see your wh/km. I don't check that one often. But give you an idea if your wh/km is good or bad.
4- I use this one often for my real estimate km left and for my trips. I rely solely on the Energy app.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
Sorry to ask this.. i even read the user manual but i can't understand what is the aim/difference in the two tab Trip&rated.
Can anybody explain it to me?
Trip is your start and projected end ranges for a destination set up in navigation. The range will show progress, net difference from projected and adjusted range at completion.

Rated is simply consumption for current drive regardless of trip navigation, with a break down of driving factors that are affecting range +/-.

Last edited:
Sorry to ask this.. i even read the user manual but i can't understand what is the aim/difference in the two tab Trip&rated.
Can anybody explain it to me?
The rated tab will display consumption relative to EPA efficiency ratings. The trip tab will show consumption relative to the trip computer's estimate for the route you have in the navigation. For example, if you drive up a big hill and gain a lot of elevation, your consumption will far exceed the EPA rating because the EPA rating assumes traveling level overall but the navigation system will take elevation gain into consideration.

I can't wait to get this, the old energy app is practically useless. The energy app trip line is just a graphical representation of the navigation end SOC level so the only additional information the graph tells you is how much better/worse you have done based on the initial estimate but you don't really know why. The new energy app at least might give you a better guidance as to what you might be able to change to improve(climate usage, driving style etc.

Now that battery conditioning value while nice to have is going to cause people to complain because no they will have a value to complain about. I shouldn't have to worry about that one too much in my 2018 3LR RWD since battery conditioning while going over about 30mph is non-existant in a RWD.

I'm confused about why there is NO energy app at all on my refreshed Model X. It literally isn't there, which is mind boggling. Why get rid of something that existed for so long? I used to rely heavily on that on road trips. We drive a few hundred miles to our vacation home and wind plays a HUGE factor in range. It goes through desolate areas and while I love to drive 85 or 90 if I've got a head wind and my consumption skyrockets I'll back the speed down. Trying to eyeball the battery level and not how fast it's dropping is pretty crappy compared to just using the energy app and "gauge" that I had on my Model S.

I'm confused about why there is NO energy app at all on my refreshed Model X. It literally isn't there, which is mind boggling. Why get rid of something that existed for so long? I used to rely heavily on that on road trips. We drive a few hundred miles to our vacation home and wind plays a HUGE factor in range. It goes through desolate areas and while I love to drive 85 or 90 if I've got a head wind and my consumption skyrockets I'll back the speed down. Trying to eyeball the battery level and not how fast it's dropping is pretty crappy compared to just using the energy app and "gauge" that I had on my Model S.
What firmware version are you on? Starting with around 2022.36.6 the new Energy app was released and it’s great. Check … on your app bar.

What firmware version are you on? Starting with around 2022.36.6 the new Energy app was released and it’s great. Check … on your app bar.
I'm very anxiously awaiting the update. Maybe because mine is a 23 it's not dropped yet? I'm 11 days in and the high pitched whine which that update solves is driving me insane. If you know of any trips to help me get the update I'd appreciate it.