Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New England Model 3 Configuration Invites

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reserved online the earliest minute I could and still have not received an email invite to configure. Do you think that is because I had already selected to wait for the AWD version on my section on the Tesla site?
We checked off the AWD version on the Tesla website a couple of months ago. Still received an invite yesterday. Tesla is probably covering the orders on each regional list for anyone that might decide to flip back to RWD.

• Informative
Reactions: Bokonon
We checked off the AWD version on the Tesla website a couple of months ago. Still received an invite yesterday. Tesla is probably covering the orders on each regional list for anyone that might decide to flip back to RWD.

Interesting. Reps in both the Boston and Dedham stores have told me that I'll receive an invitation for First Production even if I've selected AWD in the Delivery Estimator (as I have), so it's good to see some confirmation of this actually playing out this way. (I guess I just want to be a part of the thrill of receiving an early invitation, even if I'm likely to sit on it for a while. :))

Reserved in Natick March 31st, 10:30ish. No email, but can configure now per MyTesla page (current owner). Any non-owner line waiters from Natick get the invite yet?

I haven't received one, but I haven't seen reports of any non-owners receiving invites yet.

We have a long way to go before any non owners get an invite. Everyone getting an invite now are existing owners with reservations on the first or second day.
There are still an awful lot of owners who placed a reservation in the last 20+ months waiting for their invite.
And I would assume they will start in California and work there way east as they go thru each wave of invites for later reservations.

Last edited:
I also got my invite to order on 1/4. I had selected AWD in the estimator some time ago and selected "hold my place" for now.

I placed my reservation in the Natick Store, but late in the afternoon on 3/31 after the line vanished (or so they told me). I just walked in and placed the reservation. I always wondered if not being in line would matter and I'm glad it didn't -- although back then I wasn't an owner.

Reactions: Bokonon
I received my invite to order. Placed a reservation for 2 Model 3s on 3/31/2016.

I called the home office in CA as I’ve decided that one order will be for my mother who lives in Florida. Was told no problem with order or delivering the car to Florida. Order has been confirmed and expecting 4 weeks until delivery.

Also interesting, is that my second reservation is available to be configured. The guy from Tesla HO was surprised as well but he said to feel free to order the second one as well if the design studio is allowing me to do so. However, since we’re New Englanders, I think I’ll wait until AWD for the second Model 3.

Reactions: chjch
So, please confirm, it sounds like if one misses the "Model 3 invitation to configure" email, you can just check your My Tesla account and configure from there, ie. you do not need some special link from the email?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't matter which production you select right?

FYI: M3 Reserved June 2017, became an MS owner in September 2017, and my "First Production" delivery estimate says, Dec 2017 - Feb 2018.

Received my invite on 1/4, current owner at front of line in Dedham on 3/31. Held my place and will wait for white interior.

Surprised how many are waiting. I wonder how that translates as a whole.

Warbird, if you don't get or see your email, it doesn't matter. If your car is ready to be configured, it will say so when you click on manage in your my Tesla. And no, it doesn't matter which production you select.

And if you choose to wait and hold your place, you can change your mind at any time. The configurator is always available to you.

Received my invite on 1/4, current owner at front of line in Dedham on 3/31. Held my place and will wait for white interior.

Surprised how many are waiting. I wonder how that translates as a whole.

Warbird, if you don't get or see your email, it doesn't matter. If your car is ready to be configured, it will say so when you click on manage in your my Tesla. And no, it doesn't matter which production you select.

And if you choose to wait and hold your place, you can change your mind at any time. The configurator is always available to you.

I am an owner with first day reservation who had selected AWD and I still got the invite. I played around with the configuration then postponed for AWD.

I’m not surprised a lot of people in New England are waiting for AWD. If you have good snow tires, my 2013 S85 experience shows AWD isn’t necessary, but it’s nice to have, especially when it also improves performance and range. And after having two very early cars (VIN 6006 and 661), I’m okay waiting a bit this time.

I’m not surprised a lot of people in New England are waiting for AWD. If you have good snow tires, my 2013 S85 experience shows AWD isn’t necessary, but it’s nice to have, especially when it also improves performance and range. And after having two very early cars (VIN 6006 and 661), I’m okay waiting a bit this time.

Here is my theory for why a lot of people seem to be are waiting for AWD: This is based on a sample of people who are current owners. This is a much different demographic than your average model 3 reservationist. Current owners are by definition wealthier (can afford AWD, reduced tax break) and they also have an electric car already and don't mind the wait as much as someone who doesn't and is chomping at the bit.

My point is when non owners are invited the amount of people waiting for AWD will be a lower % than current owners waiting for AWD.

Reactions: PeterK
Well - more interesting news. Car has been built and is in transit to Florida. (Clearly they are building the cars on spec rather than to order like they did with the Model S) It will be there on Jan 23rd ready for delivery.

Now I need to figure out logistics so my family and I can be there for the surprise!

Reactions: chjch and EdA
Some new englanders such myself and many others in VT as well as Rhode Island were not able to configure as early as other Tesla owners who reserved on the first day. I never got an invite, but just a couple of days ago was able to configure through my Tesla account. Like many other new englanders who live in challenging winter climates, I put myself in the queue for dual motors and hopefully air suspension. I suggest any new englander Tesla owner who has not received an invite to check their Tesla account daily. Are there any new england Tesla owners out there who still have not had the chance to configure or defer?

Hey all, first post!

Like others, I never got an email (checked my filters and spam), but I'm ungated on the My Tesla part of the website.

I reserved a few minutes after online reservations became available on Mar 31, 2016. Originally my delivery estimate for first production was Jan-Mar, but this last fall I bought a CPO S85. A month later, I saw my delivery estimates improve across the board. First production became Dec-Feb.

I am also deliberating whether I want to wait for AWD. I've seen a few videos showing Model 3 being hard to fishtail in snow. My 2014 S85 is pretty easy to fishtail; just take any right-angle turn hard in snow and it will oversteer. If Model 3 performs better (and it seems it does,), I might just go for RWD. OTOH, AWD has better range, regen, efficiency, etc. "Spring 2018" doesn't feel like a long wait. I'd prefer to take advantage of the full tax credit.

Reactions: Nikxice