Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New England Model 3 Configuration Invites

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Spring 2018" doesn't feel like a long wait. I'd prefer to take advantage of the full tax credit.

Let's say that Tesla reaches 200,000 US cars on or after April 1st. That means the full tax credit is still available until September 30, 2018. If they reach 200k cars this quarter, the full tax credit is available until June 30th.

In both cases, I'd hope the AWD version is available by those dates. And even if it's not, half the tax credit would be available until at least 12/31.

Let's say that Tesla reaches 200,000 US cars on or after April 1st. That means the full tax credit is still available until September 30, 2018. If they reach 200k cars this quarter, the full tax credit is available until June 30th.

In both cases, I'd hope the AWD version is available by those dates. And even if it's not, half the tax credit would be available until at least 12/31.

What worries me is that despite the configurator saying AWD arrives Spring 2018, my delivery estimate page for dual motor says Aug-Oct 2018. Partial tax credit is still better than none, but I'm not sure I want AWD enough to potentially give up half of the credit.

Also, if AWD arrives Spring 2018 for employees, and assuming "Spring" means worst case late June, the fact that I'm potentially a September delivery would imply that demand for AWD is quite high. I reserved online before the reveal on 3/31 and am current owner.

I configured M3 12/11 and on Friday 1/19 with no VIN I decided to defer for awd which now has some chance of Spring delivery. Tesla was
Accomodating So I retain my original order sequence - 2013 P85DL owner in CT ordered o/l
day 1. I’m ok with waiting for a possible sweet spot with my preferred config before the fed tax credit Is gone. You can be sure Tesla fully understands the way the credit expires and will
Manage deliveries accordingly.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
3/31/16 - Dedham, in line, ~10:30 a.m. - two reservations. I'm deferring one until AWD. I've owned an Aug '13 P85+ which I then traded for a Dec '16 P100D.

1/4/2018 - invited to configure. Moved forward with one reservation: RWD, LRR, PUP, blue, 18" Aero, *no* AP much less FSD.

Friday, 1/19/18 - phone call informing me car was already at Rockville, MD SC! But there were no delivery slots open on Saturday and the SC is closed on Sunday, so I deferred delivery until later this week.

Sunday, 1/21/18 - checked myTesla account, payment enabled, sent balance of car payment via checking account debit.

Wednesday, 1/24/18 - original promise and agreed-on car delivery date at Rockville SC. I mention this because the car showed up at the SC 5 days earlier than I expected it.

Thursday, 1/25/18 @ 6 pm - revised agreed-on delivery date at my request.

Friday, 1/26/18, ~10 am - sneak it into my 80-year old parents' garage. In April, 2016, they indicated in no uncertain terms that they wished to retain their 15-year old Subaru with maintenance problems due to excessively *low* mileage (can't make this stuff up!) and REFUSED my plan to replace their car with a Model 3. What will happen when I ignore their statement and swap their beloved but aged ICE for an M3 anyway?! I'm anxious to find out.

Alan

P.S. @EdA made me write this.

P.S. I sure do hope that by the time they make AWD available they also have an adjustable wiper stalk, heated steering wheel (and heated rear seats if they don't already, the PUP documentation is not explicitly clear on this point), performance and additional interior and paint options. Selfish of me, but there it is.

Friday, 1/26/18, ~10 am - sneak it into my 80-year old parents' garage. In April, 2016, they indicated in no uncertain terms that they wished to retain their 15-year old Subaru with maintenance problems due to excessively *low* mileage (can't make this stuff up!) and REFUSED my plan to replace their car with a Model 3. What will happen when I ignore their statement and swap their beloved but aged ICE for an M3 anyway?! I'm anxious to find out.

Alan

You are a brave person. Best of luck with your parents!!
I still remember when my mom got her first computer. My son was very anxious to help "teach" her. After about 10 minutes my mom finally said to her grandson in a firm voice: "Eric what in the world is this mouse you keep mentioning!" He realized he had to start over. We still chuckle about that.

Reactions: Pollux and chjch
3/31/16 - Dedham, in line, ~10:30 a.m. - two reservations. I'm deferring one until AWD. I've owned an Aug '13 P85+ which I then traded for a Dec '16 P100D.

1/4/2018 - invited to configure. Moved forward with one reservation: RWD, LRR, PUP, blue, 18" Aero, *no* AP much less FSD.

Friday, 1/19/18 - phone call informing me car was already at Rockville, MD SC! But there were no delivery slots open on Saturday and the SC is closed on Sunday, so I deferred delivery until later this week.

Sunday, 1/21/18 - checked myTesla account, payment enabled, sent balance of car payment via checking account debit.

Wednesday, 1/24/18 - original promise and agreed-on car delivery date at Rockville SC. I mention this because the car showed up at the SC 5 days earlier than I expected it.

Thursday, 1/25/18 @ 6 pm - revised agreed-on delivery date at my request.

Alan

P.S. @EdA made me write this.

Alan, we’re anxiously awaiting the next installment - with video please!

Reactions: Bokonon and chjch
I’m not surprised a lot of people in New England are waiting for AWD. If you have good snow tires, my 2013 S85 experience shows AWD isn’t necessary, but it’s nice to have, especially when it also improves performance and range.

I can't hold it any longer, though I realize it will not change minds...

I live in Boston and It is a mind blower to me how much folks think All Wheel Drive (AWD) helps in snow and ice. Traction comes from good snow tires, specifically "Winter" tires. AWD contributes maybe 3% to acceleration only, but nothing to braking nor cornering. Tires, not which wheels are driven, provide the car's ability to be controlled. The only reasons to "wait for AWD" are performance and range.

Winter tires have a soft compound technology developed in Alaska for heavy vehicles that literally grabs onto ice. My cars have all been sports cars with rear wheel drive, the axle God intended to drive cars :). RWD is the configuration most race cars use because it provides the best handling and road feel. In the case of Tesla's, the RWD is also quieter and with a lot less front end weight, the car handles much better.

With All Season tires on any car (my wife has an AWD RX-350), I can barely get up my driveway in winter. With Winter Tires, I can climb trees.

Winter Tires:
I have always used Bridgestone Blizzack Winter Tires, like the WS-60.
For my Model S 75, I went with the recommended "Pirelli Sottozero 3" on my stock 19" rims, for two reasons: the higher load rating and the Pirelli is the tire Tesla recommends (preserving the warranty on the drive train).

Here are some links to road tests that may help communicate these truths.
Do You Really Need AWD in the Snow? - Consumer Reports
https://jalopnik.com/lets-settle-the-winter-tires-vs-all-wheel-drive-debat-1462180324
Snow Tires vs AWD: Which Gets Your Ass to Work Alive?

I attempt to make this point at every opportunity, but until one has experienced "winter" tires, its like talking to a wall.
For me it comes down to safety. I put Winter tires on my wife's car for a reason.

Hi, @Warbird,

Loved your response! Down here in DC, no one seems to change their tires. When I talk to service stations, it's practically unheard of. Much less *store* the off-season tires for you.

That said, I'm running Nokian Hakkapolitta R8s (before that R2s) on 19" Rial wheels for my P100D.

I haven't changed over my wife's Prius yet because the DC sluggishness has infected me.

In MA, winter tires on my wife's Prius made an ENORMOUS difference in its ability to handle well in snow and on ice, including (as you mentioned) getting up the shallow incline outside our house.

And the Hakkas on first my P85+ (the R2s) and then the P100D (the R8s) make a world of difference!

I'm curious: do you have a recommendation for the 18" Model 3 wheels for winter? I'm looking at Tesla's offering, which uses Pirelli Sottozero.. but not the 3s that you have, it's Serie II instead. And when I look at the ratings, they look good but not quite as good as some of the other tires out there.

Thanks,
Alan

P.S. Not sure whether Tesla AWD might contribute to braking: I guess it depends on whether the battery can fully absorb all the energy being sent from both front and back motors during regen deceleration. In this regard, the AWD/braking answer might be different for Tesla versus other manufacturers.

Hi, @Warbird,
I'm curious: do you have a recommendation for the 18" Model 3 wheels for winter? I'm looking at Tesla's offering, which uses Pirelli Sottozero.. but not the 3s that you have, it's Serie II instead. And when I look at the ratings, they look good but not quite as good as some of the other tires out there.

The Serie II is just last years 3. I went with the Sottozero because its a new vehicle for me (actually the first car I've paid more than $18K for) and I wanted to honor the manufacterer's recommendation. My own experience, Taking to Tirerack, and reading the test specs, I think the ice traction is slightly better on the Blizzacks, but the Sottozero handles better. The deciding factor for me was the load rating (Tesla's are heavy) and not wanting to upset my service center (we have a great relationship). I'm not yet comfortable going after market with this car.

Reactions: Pollux

I live in Boston and It is a mind blower to me how much folks think All Wheel Drive (AWD) helps in snow and ice. Traction comes from good snow tires, specifically "Winter" tires. AWD contributes maybe 3% to acceleration only, but nothing to braking nor cornering. Tires, not which wheels are driven, provide the car's ability to be controlled. The only reasons to "wait for AWD" are performance and range.

Winter tires have a soft compound technology developed in Alaska for heavy vehicles that literally grabs onto ice. My cars have all been sports cars with rear wheel drive, the axle God intended to drive cars :). RWD is the configuration most race cars use because it provides the best handling and road feel. In the case of Tesla's, the RWD is also quieter and with a lot less front end weight, the car handles much better.

With All Season tires on any car (my wife has an AWD RX-350), I can barely get up my driveway in winter. With Winter Tires, I can climb trees.

Winter Tires:
I have always used Bridgestone Blizzack Winter Tires, like the WS-60.
For my Model S 75, I went with the recommended "Pirelli Sottozero 3" on my stock 19" rims, for two reasons: the higher load rating and the Pirelli is the tire Tesla recommends (preserving the warranty on the drive train).

Here are some links to road tests that may help communicate these truths.
Do You Really Need AWD in the Snow? - Consumer Reports
https://jalopnik.com/lets-settle-the-winter-tires-vs-all-wheel-drive-debat-1462180324
Snow Tires vs AWD: Which Gets Your Ass to Work Alive?

I attempt to make this point at every opportunity, but until one has experienced "winter" tires, its like talking to a wall.
For me it comes down to safety. I put Winter tires on my wife's car for a reason.

I agree 90% is the tires, and AWD does nothing for braking or cornering. Years of seeing SUVs in ditches along snowy interstates backs this up. But having four driving wheels can help when even good tires are having trouble getting a grip, and in the case of Tesla AWD also increases year-round acceleration and range - and perhaps regen braking as well.

I bought a set of winter wheels with Hakkapelita R8s on my S85 after slip-sliding in my first Thanksgiving snowstorm with the Michelin all-seasons that came with my car. They did great.

For my X I bought Nokian WR-G3 SUVs, which are all-season tires but were highly ranked as snow tires by Consumer Reports. I was going to take them off for the summer, but gave up last spring because my original tires had a gash in the sidewall. I wasn't ready to buy a new set and deal with the whole changing thing again, so just stuck with the WR-G3s. No complaints.

Reactions: Pollux

I'm with you on most points like getting dedicated ice/snow tires, but there are very real scenarios where AWD really makes a difference. At my old house, the driveway is sloped downward from the street, and you can't see it in this photo, but there's also a big bump or lip where the driveway meets the street:

upload_2018-1-23_13-9-48.png

In the winter, when the driveway is snow/ice covered, my BMW M5 with Blizzaks can not make it up the slope and over the hump. When that's happened, I had to take a shovel and ice pick and chop away at the ice in order to get enough of a patch where the tires could get enough traction to make it over the hump -- and even that takes A LOT of back and forth rocking to get over the hump. Even then the Blizzaks would just spin and spin on the snow.

But my P85D (with Sottozeros) didn't even blink getting out of an snow/ice covered driveway. It was amazing, actually, like there was no snow/ice at all.

In our new house, there's an even steeper grade getting up the driveway -- my wife's car -- BMW 335i also with Blizzaks slipped and slid and she barely made it up the driveway, took her a couple of attempts. Again, my P85D on the same driveway, the same day, made it up the driveway with zero effort.

This is why we're waiting for the AWD Model 3.

The only reasons to "wait for AWD" are performance and range.

I don't think you can say it's a basic truth that AWD doesn't matter, and the only thing that does is having good winter tires. If you've ever been stuck at the top of a hill with a RWD car with snow tires, good luck with that. Been there, done that. It's not just about the tires in the winter.

The Serie II is just last years 3. I went with the Sottozero because its a new vehicle for me (actually the first car I've paid more than $18K for) and I wanted to honor the manufacterer's recommendation. My own experience, Taking to Tirerack, and reading the test specs, I think the ice traction is slightly better on the Blizzacks, but the Sottozero handles better. The deciding factor for me was the load rating (Tesla's are heavy) and not wanting to upset my service center (we have a great relationship). I'm not yet comfortable going after market with this car.

You make a good point about the load rating; and you or someone else pointed out to me that Tesla's version of the Serie II can't even be ordered off-the-shelf. So the Tesla winter tire/wheel package @ $1700 is becoming more attractive.

Thanks,
Alan