Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New England Model S Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got the "Do you want a December email" last night and I replied "YES!".
I'll be away Xmas week. Do I want the car for a day or a week (if they can get it to me early enough) if I'm going pay full excise tax on the car?
(It's not pro-rated in MA, is it?)

---

The excise tax is prorated on a monthy basis, thanks John P.

"Excises are prorated on a monthly basis. If a motor vehicle is registered after the beginning of any calendar year, no excise will be imposed for those months, if any, which have fully elapsed before the vehicle is registered. If a vehicle is registered for any part of a month, however, the excise will be due for all of that month. The annual excise due on a car registered after January 1 will be reduced, therefore, by one twelfth of the full year’s excise for every month prior to the one in which the vehicle was registered."

Last edited:
Robert, we are all waiting pics from Copley Square today.
Hope the recent NE recipients above are having a blast.
EdA, may the delivery truck hit the road for us both asatcgid. (as soon as Tesla can get it done).

ADN/Troy/ShortArc/Cinergi and All who have passed to The OTHER Side:
Wondering how it worked for you from "car delivered" to "car drivable/registered/insured", given the Massachusetts mess.
What was required? I am E-Doc signed, funds wired (today), awaiting delivery.
Thanks -

Robert, we are all waiting pics from Copley Square today.
Hope the recent NE recipients above are having a blast.
EdA, may the delivery truck hit the road for us both asatcgid. (as soon as Tesla can get it done).

ADN/Troy/ShortArc/Cinergi and All who have passed to The OTHER Side:
Wondering how it worked for you from "car delivered" to "car drivable/registered/insured", given the Massachusetts mess.
What was required? I am E-Doc signed, funds wired (today), awaiting delivery.
Thanks -

Robert you and Cinergi got the worst weather for deliveries...

I may be out of the country when I get my car delivered which may work in my favor as it is going right into the shop to get
fully paint armor-ed anyway. Tesla told me my car hasn't been painted (no VIN yet) but that I would be paying for it
once it got onto the truck...Not sure how we avoid CA sales tax but he said it wouldn't be due...

/Ed

@EdA: your final MVPA includes no state sales tax, either to CA or MA. To register my car, I wrote a (very large) check directly to the DMV to pay the 6.25% state motor vehicles tax.
------
Update: UPS diverted the truck with my car to Tennessee. :frown: VIN 1536 coming on Wednesday.

Last edited:
@EdA: your final MVPA includes no state sales tax, either to CA or MA. To register my car, I wrote a (very large) check directly to the DMV to pay the 6.25% state motor vehicles tax.
------
Update: UPS diverted the truck with my car to Tennessee. :frown: VIN 1536 coming on Wednesday.

I am sure EdA misspoke. In the latest delivery procedure iteration, we pay the MA sales tax directly to the MassDOT. This makes the most sense anyway. If your some reason (pro-rated EV plates for example), the amount on the check does not match, you are stuck.
Also, as I discovered CA Temp Reg are not valid in MA so you have to Reg the car if you want to drive it. VIN # brought up EV during MA Inspection....5 min and you are done. Great news there. Only other surprise I had was the insurance amount for the car. Before I had the VIN #, Amica quoted me $1100 (low deductible). After I received the VIN #, their system showed almost $2K. Hight risk category. Great.
Lastly...car is just doing a software update now...
Cheers.

------
Software updated successfully ....

Last edited:
For my pro-rated plate situation, they just issued a cash refund of the difference (something like 10 bucks).

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and didn't I read something about us no longer paying Tesla MA sales taxes (for them to turn around and write the DMV a check for that amount)? That we directly write that amount? I can't recall.

For my pro-rated plate situation, they just issued a cash refund of the difference (something like 10 bucks).

I stand corrected. However in my case the Worc registry asked for a new check. Been there done that.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and didn't I read something about us no longer paying Tesla MA sales taxes (for them to turn around and write the DMV a check for that amount)? That we directly write that amount? I can't recall.

Tesla actually issued a check for the sales tax back to me, so I had to cut the registry a check. As it stands to date (if you are not financing the car and want the sales tax included in the payments), we pay the registry.

got the call saturday! car is ready for shipment. tried to contact tesla this am to wire them money but no dice. paper work moves slowly in this digital age. i'll try again tomorrow morning. delivery window is Dec 8 - Dec 22nd. (P1675).

Dennis, I have Tesla's wire information if you need it. I can PM you if you are interested. By using your RN number in the wire instructions, you can get Tesla to look that up.

Tesla asked me if I wouldn't mind just writing a check to MassDOT directly, rather than wiring them money and them cutting a check for me to take to MassDOT. I think I could have insisted on the latter process -- which people who are financing might want to do.

1. Tennessee is lucky to host your car this evening. So sorry for the delay, but this is day 1230 for me so...heck... Soon The Model S.Boston will arrive for you!
2. Did the registry accept a personal check?

- - - Updated - - -

Dennis, I have Tesla's wire information if you need it. I can PM you if you are interested. By using your RN number in the wire instructions, you can get Tesla to look that up.

+1 for "gg collegiality".

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, wait - you are able to register the car before getting it? Seriously, this thing I did not know. May I ask, Kind Lacewooded Sir, what fit and finish the lovely MA DMV requires for registration?
I'd render this guess:

Driver's license.
If it a plate transfer: Old Registration and ?plates.
Insurance? But I thought a binder could not be had until the car arrives...?
Check for 6.25%...

So share with me, a pre-delivery plebeian, the pathway to Registration...