Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Englanders -- check in!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, looks like we are sticking with the Signature and not saving money with the loaded Production vehicle. Tracey wants the car sooner rather than later so my son can drive her RAV4. Hopefully the kinks will be worked out by S64!

DJ

Another Vermonter

Hi Robert!

I own a Roadster in VT about half-way up the state not far from Dartmouth College in NH. My wife might get a Model S when our number comes up so we can be an all-electric family. We're about half-way between Boston and Montreal with 70 amps for anyone passing through.

I've enjoyed your intelligent and informative presence on this forum and look forward to meeting you in person some day.

I'd like to organize a rally in VT this fall in early October (peak foliage) when it's breathtakingly beautiful driving through our mountains. Hoping to work out logistics this summer.

-Henry

I was so happy to see another Vermonter. It sounds like you are very satisfied with your car. I live in Middlebury and have a deposit down on a Model S. I've been having trouble with posting, so this will be short, but if it works, then I will have all sorts of questions for you. Barb

It is nice to see there are at least a handful of current or future Tesla owners in Vermont. I am a Model S and Model X reservation holder. I have not decided if I will get the Model S yet, but I am definitely getting the Model X. Hey DJ, I used to live in Richmond, VT right around the corner from you. I now live in southern VT. Henry (hcsharp) do you have a red roadster sport with carbon fiber accents? I saw one parked at the bridge to the Coop last night after watching the morris dancers. It was the first Roadster I have seen. What a beauty.

-Michael

Last edited:
Hi ViperDoc, I live in Middlebury and have a reservation (8553?) I am curious how you have worked out any servicing of the vehicle. Do you drive to NYC to have this done? Does it really cost $600 a pop? I love the idea of the electric car, yet my concern is that it is so totally electric. I am so NOT a tech type. Will we need to defrag our computer touch screens in the car? I use Comcast and just got wireless last year or so. Is that what is needed for updates and the like? Is your car parked in a garage? Mine would be outside--no garage. I have a chicken house and a barn, but no garage! Do you need to put on snow tires? Does it handle well in the snow? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

I was so happy to see another Vermonter. It sounds like you are very satisfied with your car. I live in Middlebury and have a deposit down on a Model S. I've been having trouble with posting, so this will be short, but if it works, then I will have all sorts of questions for you. Barb

Barb welcome to the forum! It's great to hear from other Vermonters! There are currently only 5 owners in VT with a total of 6 Roadsters (one person has 2). You should have your car in less than a year!

We like to answer questions so go ahead and ask. Our cars are generally serviced by "Rangers", technicians who travel from the nearest service center to your home. If they can't fix it there, then they will load your car in a trailer and take it away. Rangers are free for now (except the annual service) because our cars are still under warranty. Tesla is opening new service centers and this fall will have one in Natick, MA. The annual service is $600 and you have to take it to the service center or pay $1/mi for the ranger to come to your house.

Depending on how much you drive in the winter, you will need snow tires or at a minimum all-seasons. The roadster handles well in snow and the S is expected to be similar. You can't park in the chicken coop because it doesn't lay eggs.:biggrin: You can park outside - the charge connector is made for weather. What do you keep in your barn?

Don't worry about the techie stuff - it's easier than a gas car. It's just a little different. Once you get used to it you will wonder how you put up with gas cars for so long. Defrag the touch screen is optional but you have to do a backup at least once a day. It's easy though - you just put it in reverse.:wink:

... Henry (hcsharp) do you have a red roadster sport with carbon accents? I saw one parked at the bridge to the Coop last night after watching the morris dancers. It was the first Roadster I have seen. What a beauty.

-Michael
That car is owned by a guy in Putney. Sometimes his son drives it. Several people have said to me "Hey I saw you in [town in southern VT] recently!" It's not me but his car looks very similar - Fusion Red with black forged wheels and clear carbon hard top. Differences: He has a 2.0 sport and carbon accents.

Michael do you mind sharing where you live? DJ and I have often thought about places to charge when traveling to points south. Maybe (just maybe) you will be inclined to install an outdoor 70+ amp charger???

I look forward to meeting you some time,

Henry

That car is owned by a guy in Putney. Sometimes his son drives it. Several people have said to me "Hey I saw you in [town in southern VT] recently!" It's not me but his car looks very similar - Fusion Red with black forged wheels and clear carbon hard top. Differences: He has a 2.0 sport and carbon accents.

Michael do you mind sharing where you live? DJ and I have often thought about places to charge when traveling to points south. Maybe (just maybe) you will be inclined to install an outdoor 70+ amp charger???

I look forward to meeting you some time,

Henry

I live essentially in the same place as "that guy in Putney" If he does not already have and offer his 70+ amp charger, I am all for looking into doing that myself and making it available to you and DJ plus others. But I am pretty much a newb at this stuff and do not know what is involved. Plus I am going to wait until I actually own one of these vehicles before I install anything which could be a while if I wait for the Model X. Still I am all for participating in a coalition of New England charge stations. I have been trying to figure out how to get up into Quebec for winter vacations. Maybe this is the way.

Keep us New Yorkers posted if you do a fall Vermont tour! My son goes to Dartmouth, so this would be an excuse to come up, and do a Tesla Roadster/Tesla S rally! We met Henry Sharpe of Hanover NH, who was very helpful and knowledgeable about Tesla Roadsters, the last time we visited.

On Friday I just did a mini-rally with 2 Fisker Karmas. See photos!

Also, friend us on Facebook: Improve Your Experience | Facebook to see what we are up to in NY/NJ/Ct.
Fisker Event 006.jpg
Fisker Event 014.jpg
Tesla 012.jpg

Henry, thanks for your thorough reply. Yes, when I put down the deposit, I was told that March was a worst case scenario. I'm kind of glad, because I feel that there are so many unknowns at this point. I want all of the kinks worked out by the time my car is made. It's great to hear about the Mass. store; that will only be 200 miles away!
Bummer about the chicken house! I thought that I'd heard that it would be okay to keep the car outside in the elements. Good thing, because it will have to be parked outside. The people who owned the house before me had an MG that was barely able to fit within the carriage doors of the barn. I can't tell whether you're joking about the "backup" but I can put a car in reverse; just don't ask me to parallel park! This past winter wasn't much of a test either for snow or cold, but I'm glad that the car handles well here.
I'm assuming that there is some sort of surge protector on the charging unit. Last year, lightning hit the line that comes into the house, so the voltage /amps (?)were not split anymore, entering at 220 vs. 110, frying multiple appliances. This past weekend, I opened up the pool, only to find that it had also hit the motor there. It would really be a bad thing to have this happen to the car! I don't understand how electric devices work, nor am I at all savvy at technology of any sort. I'm hoping I don't have to be, and you've reassured me greatly. I put a geothermal system in a number of years ago, and haven't had to buy oil since. People were always asking me about the science and how it worked. Honestly, I don't know; I just know it does. I never knew how the furnace worked either!

... I'm assuming that there is some sort of surge protector on the charging unit. Last year, lightning hit the line that comes into the house, so the voltage /amps (?)were not split anymore, entering at 220 vs. 110, frying multiple appliances. This past weekend, I opened up the pool, only to find that it had also hit the motor there. It would really be a bad thing to have this happen to the car! ...

It's likely that a similar lightning strike would damage the charging system in the car and possibly the charging unit as well (it certainly would on a Roadster). That would be an expensive event. If you live where this sort of thing is likely to happen within the lifetime of your car, I would install some kind of surge protection on the circuit that you will be charging from.

Your geothermal system sounds very cool.

what kind of insurance covers damage to electric devices from lightning? would it cover repair costs of a Tesla? The insurance company surely will rise premiums sharply if you want them to include such an expensive item.

Hi ViperDoc, I live in Middlebury and have a reservation (8553?) I am curious how you have worked out any servicing of the vehicle. Do you drive to NYC to have this done? Does it really cost $600 a pop? I love the idea of the electric car, yet my concern is that it is so totally electric. I am so NOT a tech type. Will we need to defrag our computer touch screens in the car? I use Comcast and just got wireless last year or so. Is that what is needed for updates and the like? Is your car parked in a garage? Mine would be outside--no garage. I have a chicken house and a barn, but no garage! Do you need to put on snow tires? Does it handle well in the snow? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

My son will be a junior at Middelbury College next fall! I'm in line to get a Sig Model S - probably in September. But a road trip from Florida (where I now live) would be a stretch.... are you native Vermonter or a transplant? just curious - I attended Middlebury - Class of 79.

Kind regards...
Keith

Hi Keith, You must be so excited. I know that the town of Middlebury just put in a charging station, but when I drove by, I wasn't able to spot it. I will want to do a bit more investigating about this. I'm sure that if Middlebury has one--and not at the college--I'm sure that they are going to be popping up all over the place. Stop for breakfast...stop for lunch...maybe even stop for dinner, but with 0-60 in about 5 seconds, you'll be here in no time! I actually live in East Middlebury, right on route 125. We moved up when I was 15; I'm now 51, so I'm almost a native. We moved up from NJ after my dad had a stroke. When he died, my mom opened up the house as a B&B. She died in '01 and really wanted me to try the B&B business. It was very small: just two guest rooms, but with teaching full time, I felt like I was working around the clock, so, after ten years, I gave up the business and now just have the one full time job! If you drove up to see your son in the Tesla, though, I'd have a room for you! Barb

My son will be a junior at Middelbury College next fall! I'm in line to get a Sig Model S - probably in September. But a road trip from Florida (where I now live) would be a stretch.... are you native Vermonter or a transplant? just curious - I attended Middlebury - Class of 79.

Kind regards...
Keith