Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Englanders -- check in!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live essentially in the same place as "that guy in Putney" If he does not already have and offer his 70+ amp charger, I am all for looking into doing that myself and making it available to you and DJ plus others. But I am pretty much a newb at this stuff and do not know what is involved. Plus I am going to wait until I actually own one of these vehicles before I install anything which could be a while if I wait for the Model X.
What do I have to say to get you to do it now?

Still I am all for participating in a coalition of New England charge stations. I have been trying to figure out how to get up into Quebec for winter vacations. Maybe this is the way.
You wouldn't be the first person to stop at my house for 70A on their way to Quebec. It's 189 mi to Montreal from here which is just about right for a Tesla battery. I'm only 4 mi off I-91.

Hi Keith, You must be so excited. I know that the town of Middlebury just put in a charging station, but when I drove by, I wasn't able to spot it. I will want to do a bit more investigating about this.
Please let us know where this is after you check it out. Find out what kind (ChargePoint?) and number of amps.
Really the best chargers are Tesla HPCs because they are usually at least double the power of public chargers. Consider installing your own HPC for other Tesla owners. It's a fun way to meet like-minded visionaries. Or just ignore them if you're busy. The reciprocity helps everybody.

It will be fun when we all get together here in VT...

If anyone is coming up to VT, make sure both Henry and I know. Maybe we can have a mini-Tesla rally. The most Roadsters that we have had together at one time in VT (as far as I know) was 3—Henry, myself and the Tesla rep at Stowe last summer! It would be great to match or exceed that record whether they were Roadsters or Model S. By the end of the summer we should have one of each to add to the tally, though it might be hard to get my wife to drive down for a rally in her Model S.

DJ

+1:cool:

If anyone is coming up to VT, make sure both Henry and I know. Maybe we can have a mini-Tesla rally. The most Roadsters that we have had together at one time in VT (as far as I know) was 3—Henry, myself and the Tesla rep at Stowe last summer! It would be great to match or exceed that record whether they were Roadsters or Model S. By the end of the summer we should have one of each to add to the tally, though it might be hard to get my wife to drive down for a rally in her Model S.

DJ

Henry, I pulled in today and didn't really know what to look for, but I can tell you that it is located on Seminary Street in Middlebury. It is at the Public Works/Electric Company there, and they have two chargers. At the time, I was actually heading to Poolworld--the ongoing saga, when I realized that I would be going right by. Being my Tesla won't be coming until next March, I wasn't really thinking in a very detailed way. I think I remember it being ChargePoint; then again, it could just be the power of suggestion. As you know it's been cold and rainy, so I was a lazy bum and didn't even get out of the car. I was just happy to have found the location! I do definitely plan on installing one at home. Being it will be outside, I'm trying to think of the safest and most accessible spot--picturing feet of snow in every corner!

What do I have to say to get you to do it now?

Convince Viper to gift me his upcoming Model S or current Roadster would do it...

I just went to Tesla's site and checked out their 70A setup
High Power Wall Connector (charging, high power connector, hpc) Tesla Motors

The first thing it says is "Please note that the connectors sold through our online store are for the Tesla Roadster. Model S charging options will be released at a later date." Do you know how the compatibility issue is going to play out between the S and the Roadster?

The first thing it says is "Please note that the connectors sold through our online store are for the Tesla Roadster. Model S charging options will be released at a later date." Do you know how the compatibility issue is going to play out between the S and the Roadster?

There are other threads discussing this. You want the Model S charger and we can use an adapter for the Roadster. It sells for $1,200 but you might get an unofficial discount if you install it outside for public use. They did that for the Roadster but you had to ask for it.

Go to the bottom of the page:
http://www.teslamotors.com/models/options

DJ
ViperDoc, I'm curious to know more about the Tesla Rep whom you referred to...was that person here to find a location for a store or just passing through? I would love to see some Tesla action happen more north than Boston. Selfish but true!

I just arrived in Boston from LA. Driving across the country was both fun and easy. Charging options thin out a bit in Utah and the Great Plains, but never so much that there's a need to fall back on a wall outlet!

"Having" to stop and wait for a charge actually made the trip more enjoyable and memorable:

roadsteracrossamerica.blogspot.com

I just arrived in Boston from LA. Driving across the country was both fun and easy. Charging options thin out a bit in Utah and the Great Plains, but never so much that there's a need to fall back on a wall outlet!

"Having" to stop and wait for a charge actually made the trip more enjoyable and memorable:

roadsteracrossamerica.blogspot.com

Fantastic! Welcome :smile: and thanks for sharing. Great pics! Glad the drama in OH didn't get any worse than it did :scared:

Sounds like it was an awesome trip.

ViperDoc, I'm curious to know more about the Tesla Rep whom you referred to...was that person here to find a location for a store or just passing through? I would love to see some Tesla action happen more north than Boston. Selfish but true!

I will have to try to scrounge up the name of the 2 reps; however, they were here showing off a Roadster and trying to drum up sales of the last few cars! There is going to be a store opening outside of Boston later this year though.

ViperDoc

Hi Robert, I'm Mitch from south of Boston (Randolph), though I do commute to downtown everyday.
I put in my reservation today for the Model S, quoted delivery estimate: Spring 2013, sequence. # 10010

I recently bought a Plug in Prius, and have a 30A J-1772 Schnieder EVSE in the garage, but also installed a 100A RV campsite setup outside the garage, it has a 50A 14-50 , a TT-30 (30A 120V), and a standard 20A 120V GFCI outlet on it. I'm listed on "Plugshare" site if any of you need a charge traveling South (or North) through my area, put in zipped: 02368 and you will find it... I plan on getting the HPC when the Model S nears delivery (I had a 125A subpanel put in when the electrical work was done in 2011), will probably change out the 30A J-1772 for the HPC

PlugShare - Find Charging Stations for Electric Cars!

Here is a link to the pictures of the EVSE and outdoor RV outlet setup: 2011 EV work pictures by mitch672 - Photobucket

Hi Robert, I'm Mitch from south of Boston (Randolph), though I do commute to downtown everyday.
I put in my reservation today for the Model S, quoted delivery estimate: Spring 2013, sequence. # 10010

I recently bought a Plug in Prius, and have a 30A J-1772 Schnieder EVSE in the garage, but also installed a 100A RV campsite setup outside the garage, it has a 50A 14-50 , a TT-30 (30A 120V), and a standard 20A 120V GFCI outlet on it. I'm listed on "Plugshare" site if any of you need a charge traveling South (or North) through my area, put in zipped: 02368 and you will find it... I plan on getting the HPC when the Model S nears delivery (I had a 125A subpanel put in when the electrical work was done in 2011), will probably change out the 30A J-1772 for the HPC

PlugShare - Find Charging Stations for Electric Cars!

Here is a link to the pictures of the EVSE and outdoor RV outlet setup: 2011 EV work pictures by mitch672 - Photobucket

Welcome, Mitch - what took you so long to sign up for a Model S? :)

/Ed

Hi, I'm checking in. I'm Model S Signature #654, and I'm going for the Performance version. I have configured my car, and went with white exterior and black interior with CF accent. I decided to go with 19" wheels instead of the 21" sport wheels -- I like the look of the 21" better, but I think the 19" are more practical for NE winters (you know, on my super practical car that goes 0-60 in 4.4 seconds). I live in Newton like cinergi, who's car I've seen driving around. Random side note: I've also seen a BMW i3 driving around Newton as well. I just got back from the NY/NJ test drive event, which was pretty cool. Expect my car in Sept, but more likely Oct.

Hi, I'm checking in. I'm Model S Signature #654, and I'm going for the Performance version. I have configured my car, and went with white exterior and black interior with CF accent. I decided to go with 19" wheels instead of the 21" sport wheels -- I like the look of the 21" better, but I think the 19" are more practical for NE winters (you know, on my super practical car that goes 0-60 in 4.4 seconds). I live in Newton like cinergi, who's car I've seen driving around. Random side note: I've also seen a BMW i3 driving around Newton as well. I just got back from the NY/NJ test drive event, which was pretty cool. Expect my car in Sept, but more likely Oct.

Welcome aboard! Look forward to checking out your car when it arrives!

/Ed

Welcome! I drive between Brighton and Needham every day, so maybe I'll see your Model S on the road. I'll be the guy with the camera in one hand and the thumbs-up on the other hand (with no hands on the wheel :eek:).

Hi everyone
Avid reader of the forum for the past couple of years but have left posting to others. Really enjoy learning from everyone.
Live in Chelmsford and work as a Project Manager for software company in Andover. Recently installed solar system and would love to join the EV world. With retirement not too many years away leaning towards the third generation model as a retirement gift:smile: Looking forward to the Boston area store.