Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Englanders -- check in!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2BE8886B-D113-4934-B5B1-3CC10B2104F2.jpeg
Finally got mine on June 2nd. I think I’m the 2nd or maybe 3rd owner in RI. I say that cause I did see a MSM with RI plates last week parked by Providence G rooftop bar.

Checking in from New Hampshire. Have had my model 3 for a few weeks now. 100% the best car I have ever driven. Only seen another one around here once.

I got mine on 5/12 (in Hudson NH) and the driver told me he was heading to Somersworth next - was that you? If so - I apologize for the delay - but he got to my house late (and mine was the first one off the truck with 5 more on) and, when he left, the truck started tearing down overhead wires which delayed him further.

Finally took ownership of my first (and likely not last) Tesla at the Dedham store today. Was very pleased with the fit and finish and the quality of the detailing performed. And, was very happy that they are still giving the 1/43 scale Model 3s to owners. I hope everyone else who has waited 2+ years to get this car and not gotten it yet, will get theirs soon. First song played, Ticket To Ride by The Beatles. Now to think of an appropriate name for this beautiful car...

Attachments

• 9D42C050-882C-438E-8076-27012030D7E7.jpeg
    9D42C050-882C-438E-8076-27012030D7E7.jpeg
    527.7 KB · Views: 63
Finally took ownership of my first (and likely not last) Tesla at the Dedham store today. Was very pleased with the fit and finish and the quality of the detailing performed. And, was very happy that they are still giving the 1/43 scale Model 3s to owners. I hope everyone else who has waited 2+ years to get this car and not gotten it yet, will get theirs soon. First song played, Ticket To Ride by The Beatles. Now to think of an appropriate name for this beautiful car...
Great song to be the first.

Did any non-MA people pick up their car in New York (or another state)? I'm supposed to pick up my car on Thursday and they want me to sign an RMV-1 form, which is an application for registration in Massachusetts. They assure me that it is mandatory and won't register my car in MA, but having lived in MA for many years that seems doubtful to me.

My plan is to tell them I'm not signing an application for registration in MA when I a) pick up the car in NY and b) already have my NH temp plates, but want to know if maybe this is super normal and I'm overreacting.

Did any non-MA people pick up their car in New York (or another state)? I'm supposed to pick up my car on Thursday and they want me to sign an RMV-1 form, which is an application for registration in Massachusetts. They assure me that it is mandatory and won't register my car in MA, but having lived in MA for many years that seems doubtful to me.

My plan is to tell them I'm not signing an application for registration in MA when I a) pick up the car in NY and b) already have my NH temp plates, but want to know if maybe this is super normal and I'm overreacting.
Picked ours up in Watertown a few years ago before MA forced Tesla and new owners into the out of state delivery process. Can't speak for others, but never saw the form they're referring to https://www.massrmv.com/Portals/30/docs/RMV1_fillable.pdf
I would also be concerned signing off on that paperwork, perhaps someone who has made a more recent purchase can share their experience.

No, no, no. DO NOT SIGN AN RMV-1! You are not a Mass resident, you are buying the car from Tesla of NY, and you are not picking up the car in Mass. Mass has nothing whatsoever to do with this transaction. The is no reason for you to sign any Mass paperwork. Filling out that form is only asking for problems down the line (getting hit up for MA sales tax, or who-knows-what the MA RMV can screw up).

You're not a MA resident; you can't even use the form anyway. The RMV-1 is for registering or titling a car in MA, which a non-resident can't do.

You've got temp plates. You just need a bill of sale and the certificate of origin to take to your town hall for permanent plates. If they push back on the RMV-1, escalate. Whomever you are dealing with doesn't seem to have much of a clue.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
No, no, no. DO NOT SIGN AN RMV-1! You are not a Mass resident, you are buying the car from Tesla of NY, and you are not picking up the car in Mass. Mass has nothing whatsoever to do with this transaction. The is no reason for you to sign any Mass paperwork. Filling out that form is only asking for problems down the line (getting hit up for MA sales tax, or who-knows-what the MA RMV can screw up).

You're not a MA resident; you can't even use the form anyway. The RMV-1 is for registering or titling a car in MA, which a non-resident can't do.

You've got temp plates. You just need a bill of sale and the certificate of origin to take to your town hall for permanent plates. If they push back on the RMV-1, escalate. Whomever you are dealing with doesn't seem to have much of a clue.

Ok that’s exactly what I thought - im not crazy, I just dealt with someone who was misinformed.

I guess my next question is - will someone there be smart or empowered enough to step in and say “yeah this is wrong you don’t fill this out” when I push back on my delivery “advisor”? Four hours is a long way to travel without any assurances I’ll get a car. Like, do they have any supervision at these places?

Just echoing what @tga said. I live in CT, and picked up my P85+ at Mt. Kisco, NY.. Mass has absolutely NOTHING to do with this. Whoever is telling you this is phenomenally mis-informed. That person (or people) were probably "trained" for 10 minutes on how to close out a deal, and that was for a MA resident car... and since that's how they were trained, they're obviously not smart enough to think for themselves and realize that MA is not in the equation AT ALL.

I would escalate this now to get resolved before you pick it up. Also make sure they know you have your own temp plates, as this MA thing might be their attempt at getting temp plates for you. When I bought my car in NY state, it came with temp plates from NJ.

Congrats on your new car!

Reactions: chjch
Just echoing what @tga said. I live in CT, and picked up my P85+ at Mt. Kisco, NY.. Mass has absolutely NOTHING to do with this. Whoever is telling you this is phenomenally mis-informed. That person (or people) were probably "trained" for 10 minutes on how to close out a deal, and that was for a MA resident car... and since that's how they were trained, they're obviously not smart enough to think for themselves and realize that MA is not in the equation AT ALL.

I would escalate this now to get resolved before you pick it up. Also make sure they know you have your own temp plates, as this MA thing might be their attempt at getting temp plates for you. When I bought my car in NY state, it came with temp plates from NJ.

Congrats on your new car!

You have confirmed everything I was thinking. I was 99% sure but thought maybe there was something I was misunderstanding and wanted I double check before I got assertive with them.

Unfortunately they only emailed it to me at 6pm last night and I was able to get someone on the phone shortly before they closed who told me this nonsense. My pickup time is noon tomorrow, so I’ll be leaving for NY before they open. I am concerned that there will be no one in charge who can overrule these....misinformed people.... on site tomorrow, but unfortunately I guess there is nothing I can do at this point.

One thing - who was listed as the seller for your car on your MVPA? Mine is Tesla of MA, which I wonder if that is causing the confusion for them.

I have filled out the NY sales tax exempt form, the NY transit form, and have my NH temp plates (all of which make logical sense). I’m not filling out this MA form. Hopefully there is an adult there who can back me up tomorrow on this.

Good luck! There should be a manager or supervisor around. If not, they can always contact the regional (or district?) manager to straighten things out.

I've never seen "Tesla of MA" before, so you're right, that's likely the source.. but still, you're not registering the car in MA and not an MA resident, so that form makes no sense.