Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Englanders -- check in!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First Service experience at the Milford CT service center, Have had a strange side mirror issue since new but it took me 3k miles to get motivated to get it looked at. Very nice facility and they took care of the problem promptly, checked for updates, checked the air and tread level in the tires and even hand washed the car. All while I waited. 5 stars

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Hi all - question on M3 home delivery. I was part of the mass text last week about having a VIN matched, asking if I can take delivery, blah blah blah, and it ended up that there was no car for me (not a huge surprise but still a touch disappointing). I've been following up with Tesla since then without getting anywhere, but in talking with an "overflow agent" today (who was super nice and spent a lot of time with me answering questions) I found out that apparently Tesla is no longer doing home deliveries unless you live over 160 miles from the service center. I don't qualify because I'm only 80 miles away from the Dedham service center (in Maine). Picking up in Dedham means I have to pay Mass sales tax, which as a Mainer I'm not stoked about. I was also told that if I switched my delivery center to Mt. Kisco NY to avoid the tax issue that my delivery would be delayed. Has anyone else been denied home delivery? Or told that changing delivery centers would cause a delay?

Welcome! Hope you get a car soon. Asking a Mainer to take delivery in Massachusetts is a big ask, one they considered unacceptable before. Are you certain they have changed their policy WRT Maine? The radius limit would certainly make sense for a Massachusetts delivery.

RI home delivery here. Came on a covered truck last Tuesday, greatest car ever. This is her first supercharging experience in East Greenwich just so we could try it out.

Hi! Also from RI and I have a quick question. Earlier this week, the woman we have been emailing back and forth with at Tesla said "oh maybe at the end of this week, latest next week" for a home delivery. At work yesterday, at 10:50AM, get a random call from a random number, didn't answer, thought it was a robo call. THANK GOD I decided to listen, it was the delivery company saying "uh, we'll be at your house in 30 minutes". Fast forward, car is in the garage, there are a lot of minor/cosmetic issues but I was expecting that, we already called Tesla and they said they will fix all the problems. My issue is, where is my title/paperwork to go register the car? When is it coming? We paid $85 to overnight our check...where is my stuff!!?? (sorry first world problem complaining going on here).

What did you do once you got your car? Did they send the title and then you went to the DMV? We already filled out RI DMV registration paperwork (pretty sure we did) when we closed on our car loan at AAA but never got copies of it. So now, here we are, so pumped to FINALLY have it and approaching a long weekend with no paperwork to register the car :( Any insight, advice, information you have or could provide (or anyone for that matter!) would be greatly appreciate it. Can't wait to drive to EG and use the supercharger!!!!! Thank you!!!!

Hi! Also from RI and I have a quick question. Earlier this week, the woman we have been emailing back and forth with at Tesla said "oh maybe at the end of this week, latest next week" for a home delivery. At work yesterday, at 10:50AM, get a random call from a random number, didn't answer, thought it was a robo call. THANK GOD I decided to listen, it was the delivery company saying "uh, we'll be at your house in 30 minutes". Fast forward, car is in the garage, there are a lot of minor/cosmetic issues but I was expecting that, we already called Tesla and they said they will fix all the problems. My issue is, where is my title/paperwork to go register the car? When is it coming? We paid $85 to overnight our check...where is my stuff!!?? (sorry first world problem complaining going on here).

What did you do once you got your car? Did they send the title and then you went to the DMV? We already filled out RI DMV registration paperwork (pretty sure we did) when we closed on our car loan at AAA but never got copies of it. So now, here we are, so pumped to FINALLY have it and approaching a long weekend with no paperwork to register the car :( Any insight, advice, information you have or could provide (or anyone for that matter!) would be greatly appreciate it. Can't wait to drive to EG and use the supercharger!!!!! Thank you!!!!

Hey @alpolanco73 ...welcome to the Forum. I'm a fellow Cumberland RI'er as well. Would love to meet up one day, being that we're in the same town. I just took delivery of mine on Thurs 9/27 directly from the car carrier. The driver called me and said his covered car carrier couldn't make it into my neighborhood (cul-de-sac and dead ends), so we met at the Welcome Center exit on 295N at night. Curious as to your cosmetic issues, as I've had a few too.

As for registering the car, I went on Friday 9/28, with my MVPA printed out and in-hand, but the registry guy told me that I needed a MCO (Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin), which is an actual document that needs to be sent from Tesla and mailed to you. The registry guy told me that Tesla Dedham could get this for me. But thankfully I called Dedham before heading up there, as they told me they no longer handle this, and that corporate would have to mail/overnight this to you. I reached out to my IDA, and he eventually sent it to me. He also sent a bill of sale, which showed stamped that my car was paid in full. This bill of sale is exactly like your price sheet that's part of your MVPA that you can print from your My Tesla page.

Once I had these docs, the registry process was surprisingly painless....were it not for the $4500+ that I had to dish out in taxes :(

--Cintoman

Hey @alpolanco73 ...welcome to the Forum. I'm a fellow Cumberland RI'er as well. Would love to meet up one day, being that we're in the same town. I just took delivery of mine on Thurs 9/27 directly from the car carrier. The driver called me and said his covered car carrier couldn't make it into my neighborhood (cul-de-sac and dead ends), so we met at the Welcome Center exit on 295N at night. Curious as to your cosmetic issues, as I've had a few too.

As for registering the car, I went on Friday 9/28, with my MVPA printed out and in-hand, but the registry guy told me that I needed a MCO (Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin), which is an actual document that needs to be sent from Tesla and mailed to you. The registry guy told me that Tesla Dedham could get this for me. But thankfully I called Dedham before heading up there, as they told me they no longer handle this, and that corporate would have to mail/overnight this to you. I reached out to my IDA, and he eventually sent it to me. He also sent a bill of sale, which showed stamped that my car was paid in full. This bill of sale is exactly like your price sheet that's part of your MVPA that you can print from your My Tesla page.

Once I had these docs, the registry process was surprisingly painless....were it not for the $4500+ that I had to dish out in taxes :(

--Cintoman

THANK YOU sooo much for responding and giving me insight into why this is taking so long!!!! How cool!!!!!! Love a RI connection!

We live in a neighborhood with wide streets so they were able to get the massive covered truck on our street. My husband wasn’t home so I just put it in the driveway and did a quick look over and to me it looked okay but I think that was just the excitement talking. When he got home, he noted a bunch of things wrong. There is some weird substance on the drivers seat (oil, glue, I’m not really sure what else it could be), the inside dash has what I would compare to as, saw dust droppings (but it looks more like the color of the dash board), it also looks like someone tried to clean/buff the car but only buffed in certain spots vs the whole car He already called Tesla who said they would be able to fix it all.

Still waiting to hear back from our DS about next steps, which now I know is the MCO. Good to hear the process went smoothly once you had it all. Also not looking forward to paying the taxes. Did you go to the Woonsocket DMV??? I heard it’s much less caiotic up there haha

Once we finally have the car on the road, we would love to meet up!! Thank you again for responding!!!!

THANK YOU sooo much for responding and giving me insight into why this is taking so long!!!! How cool!!!!!! Love a RI connection!

We live in a neighborhood with wide streets so they were able to get the massive covered truck on our street. My husband wasn’t home so I just put it in the driveway and did a quick look over and to me it looked okay but I think that was just the excitement talking. When he got home, he noted a bunch of things wrong. There is some weird substance on the drivers seat (oil, glue, I’m not really sure what else it could be), the inside dash has what I would compare to as, saw dust droppings (but it looks more like the color of the dash board), it also looks like someone tried to clean/buff the car but only buffed in certain spots vs the whole car He already called Tesla who said they would be able to fix it all.

Still waiting to hear back from our DS about next steps, which now I know is the MCO. Good to hear the process went smoothly once you had it all. Also not looking forward to paying the taxes. Did you go to the Woonsocket DMV??? I heard it’s much less caiotic up there haha

Once we finally have the car on the road, we would love to meet up!! Thank you again for responding!!!!

Hi @alpolanco73 ....would love to meet up at some point. Maybe we can PM our details. Yes...I did go to the Woonsocket DMV, and it was relatively quick. I think I waited about 1 hour max. I live on the Cumberland/Woonsocket line (close to Route 99), so Woonsocket was much closer to me. I went last Wednesday around 2:00pm. Your IDA/DS should FedEx the MCO to you. Mine also included a pre-filled out RI Application for Registration and Title Certificate (TR-1) form, which I had already filled out prior to my first visit to the Registry. The form is online. I needed to fill this out so I could transfer my registration and plates from my existing car to the Model 3. The Registry will give you a Sales Tax form once you get there, which will need to be filled out. It's a small form. I also applied for a Electric/Hybrid RI plate (the green wave one) too.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'd be more than happy to help in any way. BTW...what Model 3 did you get (color/interior, etc)?

-- Cintoman

Tax must be paid to Massachusetts for a car delivered in that state regardless of its final destination.
I find it hard to believe Mass is collecting taxes on cars not registered in the Commonwealth. I used to live in NH and this was not the case for me 20 years ago. Sounds like regional legislatures need to update their laws for this new delivery mode. I live in Mass now, but will be checking with my rep. about this issue. Crazy!

I find it hard to believe Mass is collecting taxes on cars not registered in the Commonwealth. I used to live in NH and this was not the case for me 20 years ago. Sounds like regional legislatures need to update their laws for this new delivery mode. I live in Mass now, but will be checking with my rep. about this issue. Crazy!
Having been burned by this several times in past deals, I can assure you that MA law has required MA sales tax be paid on all vehicle deliveries in MA, regardless of owner's state of residence/final state of registration as far back as 1991.

Hi all, changing the subject from deliveries. Many of you saw the recent IPCC report on climate change which was quite pessimistic about our chances of avoiding significant average temperature increase. It and many other voices (including the Boston Globe editorial page) have come out in favor of putting a price on carbon.

Pricing carbon is what Climate XChange, an MA-based 501(c)3 nonprofit of which I’m a board member, has been working on for about five years. This year we got the MA Senate to pass it unanimously, but it was stopped in the House. We’re pushing again for next year’s legislative session, and helping out efforts in another 15 or so states based on our research and legislative experience. Right now WA is the furthest along, with a ballot initiative next month. Note that both CT and RI have legislation that would create a carbon price if MA passes one.

We are running our third Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffle, giving away three Teslas, taxes paid (3rd Carbon Pricing Raffle: Win a Tesla. Make a Difference.), to fund our efforts but also to raise awareness of the carbon pricing approach. You may have seen our banner ads or marketing sponsorships on this and other Tesla-related sites. We also have a ground-level marketing effort we started last year, using car stickers @Pollux (formerly in MA, now in the DC area) and I had printed up as an in-kind donation to CXC. They are on heavy vinyl stock, a 3M product specified to easily go on and come off of cars. Last year we made large stickers that I plastered all over my Model X - even on top of Xpel - for several months that peeled off smoothly with no issues. I even put them on a service loaner Model S I had over a weekend! I had a few left over so put them on again this year.

FADE8178-F07F-4559-94B9-3FD5EB0B2CBF.jpeg

But recognizing that a) bumper views are long and frequent in stop-and-go traffic, and b) few people are like us, willing to drive around with big stickers plastered on their doors, we had smaller, mega-bumper sticker size stickers (5" x 24") made out of the same material. We have them on our Teslas and are seeking fellow Tesla owners concerned about climate change who would be willing to place them on theirs. Either one for the back (high like mine over the T or low on the bumper) or three for the back and sides. Note that I've already seen ticket sales in MA and MD this year that cited car stickers as their reason for purchase.

B504B3B1-EAC4-4059-B5BB-2EB72DADA738.jpeg

44983785-28EF-47A1-A840-B2133FC4E141.jpeg

So who’s up for putting one - or three - of these on their Teslas through December (ticket sales end 12/31, drawing is 1/1)? And what’s the best way to get them to people - a meetup?

Thanks in advance!
Peter

Reactions: Gwgan
Has anyone in Northern MA/southern NH seacoast area put snow tires on their model 3 yet? If so, where did you go to have it done? Looks like the official ones through Tesla won't be installed until end of year so want to look into getting some elsewhere but always nervous about taking it somewhere where they aren't familiar with teslas.