Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Englanders -- check in!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's about 250 for me. We're up in Haverhill, so it's really at the edge of our range even with the 85

It would also be great if they put one in around St. Johnsbury, or even White River Junction, for travel to Montreal and/or Quebec. Quebec would require another one between Montreal and Quebec as well.

My guess is that about 6 SC stations would provide minimal (125 mi) coverage for most of New England and 12 would be excellent. It will be very interesting to see what they announce about them, capability and pricing.

New Englanders - I have word that Tela Natick will open for business in two weeks. The 28th. They hopefully will be inviting us to the opening ceremony.

Wow if that's true, what a coincidence! I have to be in nearby Wellesley on the 28th and 29th. I hope they have a special reception for Roadster owners or reservation holders!

- - - Updated - - -

Greetings all from Burlington, Vermont.

Welcome Todd! I live about 1.5 hrs south of you in Thetford VT. We're having a Tesla rally and EV demonstration on Oct 7 starting in East Thetford at Cedar Circle Farm and Education Center. I'm still finalizing the details... and since you have experience orginizing car events in VT, maybe you can help me!

We have a new solar 240V ChargePoint in South Burlington, located at Healthy Living Market, 222 Dorset Street. This is a FREE ChargePoint, and Healthy Living offers a fabulous health food buffet. Great spot for lunch or a casual dinner. Hours: 8AM-8PM.

There's also a free charger at St. Mike's, and ViperDoc lives nearby with 70A if he's home and you call ahead. I also have 70A at my house about half way between Montreal and Boston. A few Roadster owners have stopped here on trips to/from Burlington/Montreal/Boston. Are you familiar with Plugshare.com?

I look forward to meeting you some day!

Back on the 60kWh pack...

Tesla's stated "55 mph constant" range is 230miles, vs. 320 for the 85kWh. Using that ratio, the 60 kWh EPA range should be 190 miles on a Range charge and 162 miles on Standard charge. If the battery degrades to 70% capability, then those numbers fall to 133 miles and 113 miles, respectively.

With an 85kWh pack, I can get to and from most places I travel in New England without a charge, or with a minor top-up. For example, I could drive to New Haven to hear my daughter's concert, and with only 3 hours or so at the Omni's EVSE during dinner and the concert, I'm good to return. That's very worthwhile to me.

- - - Updated - - -

New Englanders - I have word that Tela Natick will open for business in two weeks. The 28th. They hopefully will be inviting us to the opening ceremony.
Grrrr... I have to be on Cape Cod that weekend. Enjoy the party!

Robert, that's a quick trip up and back rom the cape. I got the word directly from the manager to be in Natick. Still I wonder now why there has been no announcement. Maybe Herb Chambers and E Boch jr threatening to rain on the parade. Robert thanks for the 60kWh analysis. Agree but let me run the numbers with you for range on a 60kWh battery: the EPA for the 300 is 265 standard charge, yes? Or is that range?If standard, then that's 88 percent of 300. So the 60 kWh battery is advertised as 230 miles, should get 203mi EPA if EPA is 88 percent of 230. now do I get 80 percent of that for a standard charge? That's about 162. Take 30 percent over 8-10 years and I get 113.4 miles. Hmmm. I think you are off by 0.4 miles. Nicely done by the way. Took me a while to get it. Te bottom line is at - if these numbers are right, you can take 2/3 advertised range as expected real standard charge range. 160's for a 60kWh battery, 210's for an 85kWh battery.

The thing about the EPA range though is that it's a mixture of driving. If you're on a trip, the constant speed range is likely more real I'd think.
For the 85, assuming 90% charge which I think is normal, I get 248 mi @ 65 mph, which makes it 199 mi after the battery is down to 80% after maybe 7 or 8 years (I hope).
For the 60, same assumptions, I get 175 and 140.
I suspect the 60 will lose a bit more capacity % simply because it will go through more charge cycle equivalents over time.

I also did some guesstimates of what a new battery would cost after 8 years. Assuming battery costs come down at 7%/yr and the current Tesla price is about $500/kwh, after 8 years a new 85 kwh battery would be about $22K.
Now, if a used 85 kwh battery, then at 80% capacity (68 kwh) could be sold for 50% of the price of a new battery with 68 kwh capacity, it would fetch about $8800, so the final cost for the replacement would be about $13K. That would be a good deal for someone replacing their 60 kwh (then 48 kwh) battery and for the seller as well.

I think the 40 kwh batteries are not going to work out very well in the long run. However, if battery prices come down faster than expected, those owners may have the last laugh in the end.

The thing about the EPA range though is that it's a mixture of driving. If you're on a trip, the constant speed range is likely more real I'd think.
For the 85, assuming 90% charge which I think is normal, I get 248 mi @ 65 mph, which makes it 199 mi after the battery is down to 80% after maybe 7 or 8 years (I hope).
For the 60, same assumptions, I get 175 and 140.
I suspect the 60 will lose a bit more capacity % simply because it will go through more charge cycle equivalents over time.

I also did some guesstimates of what a new battery would cost after 8 years. Assuming battery costs come down at 7%/yr and the current Tesla price is about $500/kwh, after 8 years a new 85 kwh battery would be about $22K.
Now, if a used 85 kwh battery, then at 80% capacity (68 kwh) could be sold for 50% of the price of a new battery with 68 kwh capacity, it would fetch about $8800, so the final cost for the replacement would be about $13K. That would be a good deal for someone replacing their 60 kwh (then 48 kwh) battery and for the seller as well.

I think the 40 kwh batteries are not going to work out very well in the long run. However, if battery prices come down faster than expected, those owners may have the last laugh in the end.

Hey all interesting points. There was a day in late August when - all of a sudden - I read a few roadster posts and I lost my range anxiety. Gone. My only real concern has been resale value. That said, I think all should buy the biggest battery common financial sense allows. But then again maybe there is little common financial sense in any of this nutty Tesla fun I have been enjoying for over three years.

I have reason to believe one of you is in 01742. Please contact me via message when you can. Thanks.

Checking in from Winchester, MA with a Performance model on order (gray paint, gray wheels) at P3886. I expect to drive to Cambridge daily for work (7 miles each way - may take detours via New Hampshire) and 150 miles each way to Maine many weekends.

Register on the map here if you haven't already:
World Map of Model S Reservation Holders

I spotted another Winchester, MA order on the map at P3963 - maybe they'll deliver both of us the same day? We're only 77 production spots apart, less than a day at full production speed with dropouts.