Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Englanders -- check in!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@EdA,

Great suggestion! :)

I drop by every few weeks to pick up a batch of brochures and store manager's business cards. Which I then hand out to anyone who's interested. I have to admit, even though it's my wife who's the big environmental advocate, I do feel strongly that the car has an amazing combination of environmental advantages along with safety, performance, capacity and luxury. Almost daily, people engage me with questions about the vehicle. I have even had to explain that I don't work for Tesla and don't own any Tesla stock, so my bias is only that of a vehicle owner. :) My latest conversation, Sunday, was with a meter maid at a parking garage in Salem. She asked me whether the vehicle was electric, as I was parking in a charging slot, then proceeded to ask me many more questions about the car. Then she proceeded to ticket the vehicle ICE'ing the charging slot next to me. And took a brochure and a business card and thanked me.

So I'm trying to help out the Natick store in my own little way. :)

But I'm sure my wife won't let me work there officially. (A) I have been talking a little too much about buying a second Model S and (B) it's right across from Victoria's Secret.

Welcome Alan...
If you're looking for something to do, the Natick store is a bit short staffed :)

- - - Updated - - -

@hcsharp,

If my wife herself didn't particularly appreciate the advantages of the car, I'm sure she'd already be complaining about my obsession!

She may change her mind after discovering how much you love your car! :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

@Brianman,

Don't forget to include the cost of removing lipstick stains from the headliner. :)

Car's cheaper than a mistress anyway...

Hm. I think. I should probably run the numbers.

Also, somewhere in this thread Car Show Poster: Draft Leilani Munter has a decent poster.
I PM-ed her and she gave me the URL for the poster (it is huge, 50MB). I had some printed (8 1/2 x 11) and laminated at Staples over the weekend.
She made a huge poster out of it and had it mounted on foam board.

Unfortunately I tried to shrink the file and it shows fine on my display but some text was missing when it was printed. Got it down to 12MB.

Hello all,

I'm up in Lowell, have had my p85 red since May. It'll be the one with Star Wars stickers.

Have lurked on TMC for a while. Good to meet you all.
Before I purchased, I emailed RobertBoston a bit. So thank you sir for all the help.

Hello all,

I'm up in Lowell, have had my p85 red since May. It'll be the one with Star Wars stickers.

Have lurked on TMC for a while. Good to meet you all.
Before I purchased, I emailed RobertBoston a bit. So thank you sir for all the help.

Jim, I have been driving my Models S in Lowell for just under a year. Blue. Unsure if I have seen you - color? See if you can make it to Natick Thursday - nice group!
I plan to be there, heading down from Lowell.

I just became aware of this thread. I've had my Model S since February 2012. Love everything about it (though maybe not cold weather range loss).

Very happy to have the East Greenwich, RI superchargers live. If you use that location, there is a very nice wine store steps away (Savory Grape). A nice place to spend some time. There are also lots of chain restaurants close by, but nothing local or exciting. The superchargers are a little hard to find. If you enter from South County Trail, they will be immediately on your right. To the side of a Walgreens. The southwest corner of the shopping center.

Before I found this website: Campgrounds in Maine with 50 Amp Sites I queried a few nearby RV parks about car charging and received prompt responses which included:

"We have not had this request. We will need to research further and get back to you. If compatible, the usage would be metered and charged per kWh”

"You may have luck with larger RV parks...yours is the first inquiry I've
seen but I imagine you're part of a growing trend. Like many of the smaller
parks, we offer 30 amp service and would need to learn more before we
settled on a fee if we ever decide to pursue the market.”

"This has never come up before and I guess we
would have to have one here to see what It would take to do it. Maybe I
could install one and just have you pay for the usage. For my 50 amp sites I
get $52.00 for the night."

"We would charge $5 per hour.” — that was KOA

So just because there is a pin on a map does not mean they are open for charging without some advance legwork. Sounds like a project.

The app "Allstays Camp & RV" is a good investment -- I think it's $10 or so, and it lets you filter on campgrounds with 50A service.

Just as a quick back-of-the-envelope cost-based approach: average retail price to commercial customers in New England in 2013 is $0.14/kWh (http://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/xls/table_5_06_b.xlsx). So 85 kWh costs $12.

ResidentialCommercial
Census Division
and State
October 2013 YTDOctober 2012 YTDOctober 2013 YTDOctober 2012 YTD
New England15.9315.7313.9413.66
Connecticut17.5317.3314.6214.65
Maine14.3514.6411.5811.49
Massachusetts15.2214.9914.3113.79
New Hampshire16.3716.1113.4513.35
Rhode Island14.8814.3912.6511.86
Vermont17.1316.7514.6114.41

That's why I've stopped parking in the electric charging slots at many places, including whole foods. It doesn't seem fair to me to take up a charging space when the benefit is so small for my car. Better to leave the space for Leaf, i3, Volt, plug-in Prius owners.

Charging at stores like Whole Foods is great for a Leaf, i3, Volt, or other mini-battery cars, but close to useless for Model S owners. If I spend 30 minutes shopping, I get 10-15 miles of range. Not needed when I've got 200+ miles in the "tank".

That's why I've stopped parking in the electric charging slots at many places, including whole foods. It doesn't seem fair to me to take up a charging space when the benefit is so small for my car. Better to leave the space for Leaf, i3, Volt, plug-in Prius owners.
Agreed--though I'll admit to using them occasionally in places where the EV spots are the only ones I can find (Porter Square Shopping Mall is the chief villain).

That was fun. I test drove a Model S up and down the Westside Highway. There was some traffic which actually was a good way to get a handle on the regenerative braking, and periods of not so much traffic which was a way to get a little speed on. Heavy car but handles really well. The direct pedal response is what it is all about.
Beautifully made. Black on the outside, light-colored on the inside with the new horizontal gloss wood trim. P85 on the inside. This one had a yacht floor to keep things from rolling underfoot but those arm rest cupholders will never hold cups. The back seat was a little low for adults for any length of time but the front seat was very comfortable.
What impressed me most is that it is just a car—a very nice car—but nothing exotic, too futuristic, or awkward. The only unusual thing about it is the hidden frunk with the hold-over engine hood cover. The big screen was more readily understood than most new button-happy dashboards and column stalks do what we they do.
The test driver in the slot before me arrived with a few people, ready to leave a deposit for Model X. Several other people popped in and out of the gallery; many smiles all around.
The associate thinks we'll see test rides for reservation holders late summer. I expect to have my reservation in by then.