Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Equalizer In Version 8.0.2.50.114 - Please Share Settings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
to clarify for those who didn't note the topic that this thread is, the implementation of new software for of the entertainment system equalizer while giving us more functionality is quite buggy and the settings are not stable and IMHO this upgrade is a fail.
as for your opinion about what a company's reaction would be to releasing such a flawed product I do not share your charitable disposition. maybe releasing flawed output is tolerable in companies that you manage. somewhere along the chain of creating the new equalizer code there was a failure, I wouldn't react so kindly and I would identify where the failure was and take the necessary action to hold those responsible accountable, up to termination.

Even if you limit the scope of the update to mean just the update to the equalizer, because the equalizer was the subject of this thread, I still would not say the update was a complete fail. The equalizer itself works, and many people who are more qualified than I am to assess these things say the sound is much better. I am not a programmer, but I'd be willing to bet that the programming involved in adding two channels to a three channel equalizer, and improving the sound is a lot more complicated than getting the settings to be persistent. It seems to me they got the more difficult stuff right, and screwed up something pretty simple, that I'm guessing will be a quick and easy fix.

So a few of us will have been slightly inconvenienced for a few days, and then we'll have a much better equalizer.

Of course I think the release would have been much improved if the equalizer worked as it should have, and if the flawed software was never released. I just don't think this "failure" warrants someone losing their job.

I write software, its a small company, if we released something as shoddy as this there would be blood on the carpet.

The person that wrote the program may not be to blame - assuming they did not also write the Unit Test / QA testing routines (and one would hope that the QA stuff was someone else's responsibility = skilled-in-that-art), but someone designed the process and someone manages it, and every release is littered with bugs, and they are definitely responsible. If it happened once that might be forgivable, but each release I have received has no improvement in re: the lack of attention to quality that should be there. The cost of fixing a bug after release is astronomic (not least in PR terms) compared to fixing it at the design phase, and cost-to-fix increases the later on in the process the issue is found.

Who's to say that this lax testing attitude doesn't also permeate into safety critical features? Or looking at it the other way round, if safety-critical features have superb QA testing why isn't that skillset used to boost the testing abilities elsewhere in the company?

Right now I blame the man at the top as clearly he's not bothered that this low-quality testing is all that the company aspires to.

And now, for something related to the equalizer itself:
It's now five bands and starting to resemble a real equalizer. So why aren't all five bands labeled with their center frequencies...or at least BASS, MID-BASS, MID, MID-TREBLE, AND TREBLE?

BTW, I really like the cabin graphic for the balance/fader sound positioning.

Reactions: George Jetson
I don't think that bug in and of itself is the issue. Rather, there is clearly a lack of processes/knowledge/discipline whatever else you want to throw in the mix here when it comes to UI and software testing. It's been well established here that in many instances the new media player UI is a step back purely from a usability perspective (i.e. more clicks needed to achieve what you could do before etc...) and this specific issue, along with the fact that other things reset without rhyme or
reason

Don't get me wrong, I love the car but these "little" things do add up and reflect poorly on the company.
I agree. We trust that there is greater discipline and testing on software updates to mission-critical/life-critical systems, but when they ship buggy software it calls everything into question.

FWIW, my car has not updated to 2.50, yet, so I don't have the EQ luxury problem (I haven't checked if my settings have reset), but I do have the other media player bugs that are annoying (or poorly designed features).

I agree. We trust that there is greater discipline and testing on software updates to mission-critical/life-critical systems, but when they ship buggy software it calls everything into question.

FWIW, my car has not updated to 2.50, yet, so I don't have the EQ luxury problem (I haven't checked if my settings have reset), but I do have the other media player bugs that are annoying (or poorly designed features).

I am on 2.50.114 -

Speaking of "other media bugs" I have not seen others post about the resetting of the "fader" control (Number 2 below)!

It seems that I have the following problems:

1. a. Still having my USB rescan unpredictably. (Every couple of days) Thought they fixed it, but not so....
The good news here is that it seems to reload in about 1/5th of the time it used to take. No change of file structure or hardware on my part, just loads faster for some reason.

1. b. My favorites get erased during the rescan. :( thinking of making a "folder" of my favorites and title it "AAAFavorites" or something like that to make it easy to find. That way I can use shuffle and repeat if I want and they won't be lost during a reboot or re-scan. Clumbsy, but might work better than their way.

2. Fader control (the balance between front and rear and left and right) seems to randomly set itself to the right-rear of the car even though I had it set in the middle of the front two seats. Doesn't seem to happen every time the Equalizer goes wacko, but it does happen.

3. Equalizer randomly resets itself (no logic to the settings though - different each time) That has been seen many times in this thread and others.

None of these stop me from enjoying driving the car, but it would be so much nicer if it worked as designed. Yes, I can criticize the design, but I am willing to live with it's idiosyncrasies if it would just work that way.....

I just hope that someone in Tesla really reads these comments and is empowered to do something about them.

I am on 2.50.114 -

Speaking of "other media bugs" I have not seen others post about the resetting of the "fader" control (Number 2 below)!

It seems that I have the following problems:

1. a. Still having my USB rescan unpredictably. (Every couple of days) Thought they fixed it, but not so....
The good news here is that it seems to reload in about 1/5th of the time it used to take. No change of file structure or hardware on my part, just loads faster for some reason.

1. b. My favorites get erased during the rescan. :( thinking of making a "folder" of my favorites and title it "AAAFavorites" or something like that to make it easy to find. That way I can use shuffle and repeat if I want and they won't be lost during a reboot or re-scan. Clumbsy, but might work better than their way.

2. Fader control (the balance between front and rear and left and right) seems to randomly set itself to the right-rear of the car even though I had it set in the middle of the front two seats. Doesn't seem to happen every time the Equalizer goes wacko, but it does happen.

3. Equalizer randomly resets itself (no logic to the settings though - different each time) That has been seen many times in this thread and others..

All I can say about this is that it's a good thing that they (probably) have a different design team for the driver profile settings...and all that safety-related stuff...

I won't chime in on the armchair coaching of software development that's missing the point of the thread, but I do want to add that the EQ does reset to a flat 2.0 for me each time I get in to drive.
The real beauty of the flaw here is that it's different for everyone. Quite frankly I'm as interested in the reason behind that as I am frustrated by the glitch.

Normally I'd have the bass at 11-12, but it sounds muddy and muffled depending on the recording.

But, you know, for Beach House anyway (a band I like), this mix works well when volume is at 11. Why the EQ has values going to 12 seems a bit weird. The volume should have 12 too, but if you take it that high, the windows should all automatically open, of course.

YOLO :)

yolo-eq.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: George Jetson
I got all 9s on my drive home from Kansas yesterday so things aren't totally unique. Still...interesting how many different settings are being reported!
I read that someone found a correlation with the flat reset values and what you had the last slider set to. So of course I tried this, and sure enough, when I just checked right now, they're all set to 6.0, which is what I had the last slider set to the very last time I set the EQ.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
+12 +6 +6 +8 +5.5

Bass heavy but I really like it that way.
Um... Why is that better than: +6 0 0 +2 -.5 ? Same curve. But with the curve centered around the 0 level, you would leave some headroom for that low frequency band (instead of being at MAX with no further to go).
Or maybe +5 -1 -1 +1 -1.5 etc. etc.
Why do people "only go UP" ? :confused:

Um... Why is that better than: +6 0 0 +2 -.5 ? Same curve. But with the curve centered around the 0 level, you would leave some headroom for that low frequency band (instead of being at MAX with no further to go).
Or maybe +5 -1 -1 +1 -1.5 etc. etc.
Why do people "only go UP" ? :confused:
Perhaps, and I can try it, but in my experimentation I did not find the bass to be as pronounced. The way I think of it is that it might be the same curve but with a DC offset (or gain offset). I could turn the volume up to an unreasonable level (effectively increasing the gain across the entire frequency range), but that really isn't a palatable solution.

Like you say, there are no source of data or evidence that wifi improves odds.

From just personal experience...

I've never had wifi on, and get the updates on par when stuff is rolling out to others posting on this forum.

When you're on Tesla's schedule, you'll get it. Probably right then Tesla tests for car being connected on wifi, and if so comes down that way, otherwise comes down 3G/LTE. That's the opportunistic test right then and there.

I agree. My version 8.0 update got corrupted and a tech on the phone had to restart the download. It was all over the air. They started it while I was talking to them and they could see that the data was being received and told me that it would take a couple of hours and that is exactly what happened. I was in a very remote area 3G and maybe 3 bars. I was surprised at how small the download package was - so I don't think that WiFi really makes any difference in terms of when you will get your download. I think they just release to the VIN numbers and it is sitting in the server and when your car is logged into the server (however it gets logged in) the download starts. I am sure the download itself would be faster by WiFi of course but you are talking about a couple of hours.

I know that Tesla has their OTA deal with AT&T. I wonder how that deal works. I think that Amazon "Whispernet" for Kindle is also AT&T. Anyone know the deal that Tesla has?

It doesn't bother me much that this minor EQ reset (didn't impede driving or tuning into some music) bug pops up - there's no such thing as 100℅ bug-free software. Just as long as a hotfix comes out soon, I'll be happy and feel that the company cares.