Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New EU requirement for E cars to make noise at low speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everything ready to go! Just turn the software feature on!

I’m guessing you didn’t quite have time to finish watching the video :D

All the other EVs seem to have a speaker already. Leafs make a combination of grinding (like rusty brake rotors) and whining, which can only be appreciated fully when you use the button to turn it off. Audi makes a hum. The Kona’s sounds like a jet engine!

-Alex

Reactions: Flowcell
I’m guessing you didn’t quite have time to finish watching the video :D

All the other EVs seem to have a speaker already. Leafs make a combination of grinding (like rusty brake rotors) and whining, which can only be appreciated fully when you use the button to turn it off. Audi makes a hum. The Kona’s sounds like a jet engine!

-Alex
Very true we have EVs that have the capability to emit sounds here in the US. However I believe it is not required as of now to emit sound. I believe in the future we will have laws in the US passed requiring EVs to emit sounds. As @TMThree says I hope Tesla will have custom sounds to choose from, making driving around pedestrians safer and entertaining!!

Reactions: TMThree and alexGS
Very true we have EVs that have the capability to emit sounds here in the US. However I believe it is not required as of now to emit sound. I believe in the future we will have laws in the US passed requiring EVs to emit sounds. As @TMThree says I hope Tesla will have custom sounds to choose from, making driving around pedestrians safer and entertaining!!

Unless the requirement has been repealed, it has already passed in the U.S. and set to go in affect later this year.

How About Those New Rules For "Quiet" Cars?

U.S. finalizes long-delayed 'quiet cars' rule, extending deadline - Reuters

Reactions: Flowcell
This, I want this so bad!

In all seriousness, I can understand why the 'regulators' who know little of EVs may think this is needed but I really do hope there will be an option to turn it off. One of the main things I appreciate about these cars is just how silent they are at slow speeds.

Also, most newer small ICE cars have really silent engines. They're not getting this treatment...

I think we need four speakers near each wheel. Elon already created the Whoopee Cushion Fart App. When a sensor detects a person or object near by, the closest speaker will let out a random fart. No safer way to get people to move away from your car.

Last edited:
Reactions: cucubits
Are they crazy? adding noise to our quite EV cars?

Instead, the European (and of course the US) authorities must focus their legislative and enforcement energies on LIMITING ICE NOISE.

California Vehicle Exhaust Noise LIMIT Laws ( California Vehicle Exhaust Noise Laws (2019) ):

Vehicle Code 21750. Adequate muffler required
27150. (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

Assembly Bill 1824 went into effect in January 2019. This new legislation does not make California vehicle exhaust noise laws more strict. Instead, the Bill only makes it mandatory for police officers to issue immediate tickets to offenders.