Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New EV Purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I’m looking for some help from you guys please. I’m new to this so if I get it wrong please excuse me! I have an Audi Q7 E-Tron now & am seriously considering changing to a MX long range (due to BIK changes). I’ve a MX to try for a day Wednesday to check range etc. Does anyone have any real world range experiences, they can share with me, on the MX Raven 100kwh? I’m worried as my Q7, one day last winter, charged to 17 miles (so say max 35) & was flat at 10!! This was ok as I had the 3L diesel engine to fall back on. I won’t have this luxury with the model X. I need around 170 miles on my longest day. It will be mainly stop start work all day with approx 40 stops during the day. Your help, advice & experiences would be much appreciated?

Welcome to the X fold Reggie! My 2018 X100D has a real world range of at least 230-250 miles. The raven is even better I believe.
You’ll be fine.
Install a charger at home, so you’re leaving every morning with enough juice. Starts and stops don’t matter to an ev much. Stop and go traffic neither.
Keep in mind, you don’t want to charge to 100% on a regular basis as that ain’t good for the battery. Charge to 80% or less, depending how much driving you do. Charge to 100% for longer trips.

Welcome to the X fold Reggie! My 2018 X100D has a real world range of at least 230-250 miles. The raven is even better I believe.
You’ll be fine.
Install a charger at home, so you’re leaving every morning with enough juice. Starts and stops don’t matter to an ev much. Stop and go traffic neither.
Keep in mind, you don’t want to charge to 100% on a regular basis as that ain’t good for the battery. Charge to 80% or less, depending how much driving you do. Charge to 100% for longer trips.

That’s great. Thanks for the reply. I already have a charger at home & two (in prep for EV’s!!) at work. I’m ready with infrastructure...... just got to take the plunge!

Reactions: NoSoup4U!
My experience with a pre-Raven X is that since I have owned it (9 months) the average consumption has been about 300 Wh/mi. With 98 kW available from the battery that translates to about 328 miles range. You should be able to handle 177 with ease were your driving requirements and habits like mine but they probably aren't. There is a "departure tax" for each trip you start and so if your average trip is short (40 stops per day), you will probably see that in increased consumption and range decrease. Also note that rain deducts a lot of range.

The key to success is to monitor consumption. The Trip Odometers will let you display Wh/mi since putting the car into Drive and since the last charge. Use them to let you know when to top off.

Reactions: Reggie1970
Full disclosure is that your mileage will vary with your driving habits, outside temp, rain or snow, hills, and wind. But unless you are an rrr (red light to red light racer) you should be good even in bad circumstances out of your control for 200. Contrary to what was said above short trips with many stop and goes will reduce your distance. Any car uses more power to start from a stop than cruising. Just accelerate reasonably, let your regen work for you and you will be fine.

Reactions: Akikiki
Reggie, try to time your nightly charging to finish as close to your departure as you can in winter/cold months. Why? The battery will already be warm and will save going through it's own battery prep that would occur as you start out driving. This will save you some range. And if you can minimize the stopped time lapse between those 40 daily stops so the battery does not waste energy reheating itself back up, you will save range. I'd recommend keeping a short term diary of what is working best, to find the optimum energy saving routines for your situation.

Reactions: Reggie1970
Contrary to what was said above short trips with many stop and goes will reduce your distance. Any car uses more power to start from a stop than cruising.
I stand corrected. Multiple short trips do require more juice. Probably not a lot more but nevertheless. What they don’t add is accelerated wear and tear. On an ICE car, the short trips are what is harmful to the engine. The ev is much better for that scenario.

My experience with a pre-Raven X is that since I have owned it (9 months) the average consumption has been about 300 Wh/mi. With 98 kW available from the battery that translates to about 328 miles range. You should be able to handle 177 with ease were your driving requirements and habits like mine but they probably aren't. There is a "departure tax" for each trip you start and so if your average trip is short (40 stops per day), you will probably see that in increased consumption and range decrease. Also note that rain deducts a lot of range.

The key to success is to monitor consumption. The Trip Odometers will let you display Wh/mi since putting the car into Drive and since the last charge. Use them to let you know when to top off.

Thank you very much for your reply. The Raven is supposed to be around 10% more efficient than yours so hopefully I’ll have no issues. As I’ve said I’ve got one on demo for the day Wednesday. I’m going to “open it up” to 100% just to start with 100% range do my normal run & see what’s left. I was quite surprised to see that rain has such a detrimental effect on range........ not great in the UK!!

Reggie, try to time your nightly charging to finish as close to your departure as you can in winter/cold months. Why? The battery will already be warm and will save going through it's own battery prep that would occur as you start out driving. This will save you some range. And if you can minimize the stopped time lapse between those 40 daily stops so the battery does not waste energy reheating itself back up, you will save range. I'd recommend keeping a short term diary of what is working best, to find the optimum energy saving routines for your situation.

Thanks Akikiki. I’ve also been advised to pre-heat the car approx 30 minutes before I leave on cold days. Again to save the battery power & use mains power to warm the systems & cabin. If the charge time is what I think it’ll be on my 7kw home charger I’ll have no option than to finish charging when I leave, the next morning, as it’ll only just about be charged!

Well that's why I mentioned it! As an example, we went out for dinner last night in fairly light rain (it's having to push the water on the road surface out of the way that requires the energy) and got 415 and 450 Wh/mi on the outbound and return trips (16.5 mi each). Note that these are dirt roads and I'm sure that makes it even worse but even on the interstate I log about 400 in rain.

Full disclosure is that your mileage will vary with your driving habits, outside temp, rain or snow, hills, and wind. But unless you are an rrr (red light to red light racer) you should be good even in bad circumstances out of your control for 200. Contrary to what was said above short trips with many stop and goes will reduce your distance. Any car uses more power to start from a stop than cruising. Just accelerate reasonably, let your regen work for you and you will be fine.

Thanks shinytop. I hear what your saying. I hope the range isn’t an issue as I loved the car on the brief 30 minute test drive I’ve already had!

Well that's why I mentioned it! As an example, we went out for dinner last night in fairly light rain (it's having to push the water on the road surface out of the way that requires the energy) and got 415 and 450 Wh/mi on the outbound and return trips (16.5 mi each). Note that these are dirt roads and I'm sure that makes it even worse but even on the interstate I log about 400 in rain.