Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New EV tire options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 (with 18" wheels) has about 36,000 miles on it, and it will need new tires soon, so I've been slowly doing research. There's been some chatter in another thread about the new Hankook ION EVO AS EV-specific tires, and I recently heard about a new EV-specific tire from Bridgestone, the Turanza EV. Does anybody have thoughts on one of those vs. the other? Aside from those, the non-EV-specific Michelin Cross-Climate 2 seems to be popular and performs well in various tests, particularly in the snow. It's likely to result in a range hit and increased noise compared to the Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires that came on my Model 3, but the CC2 will likely perform better, particularly in snow. (I live in Rhode Island, but I work from home most days, so I seldom need to drive in inclement weather.)

One concern I have with the EV-specific tires, or at least with the Hankook ION EVO AS (I haven't yet researched this for the Bridgestone Turanza EV) is tread life. Getting better energy efficiency out of tires sounds great, but if the tires have to be replaced twice as often, that will reduce, and maybe even reverse, the monetary and environmental benefits compared to a more generic tire. My Model 3 is of the now-discontinued LR RWD variety, and I've never come close to needing its full 325-mile EPA rated range, so I'm not so concerned with range per se, although optimizing energy efficiency is an issue for me.

So, any thoughts on this? The Bridgestone Turanza EV was just introduced a couple of days ago, so I don't expect to hear any hands-on experiences with it; but I'd be interested in hearing thoughts about these tires, or recommendations for others, if you think something else is better than these three (or four, counting the Michelin Primacy MXM4).

I just put a set of Cross-Climate 2s on my car. Better in every respect and all conditions that the OEM MXM4. At 10K miles I was happy to be rid of them. Could not even get up my not very steep driveway with just a dusting of snow without a running start. The increase in noise is very minimal and depends more on road surface. I found the MXM4s to be actually quite noisy on certain surfaces.

As far as a range hit I have no extensive testing or solid evidence but my gut feeling is maybe 5% at worse. Possibly even less.

All of the "EV" tires use a very stiff tread and a very hard compound. Not conducive to good traction. Their goal is to achieve a low rolling resistance to get a good EPA rating. Nothing more. Then there is that foam liner. If the car would sit at low temperatures overnight that liner would get stiff. Like riding on square tires for the first few miles.

Remember, rolling resistance is linear with an increase in speed. Air resistance is exponential. So, a slight increase in rolling resistance may show up in low speed driving. At 75 MPH it may not be noticed.

Like rpiotro, I got rid of my OEM tires after about 8k miles, mostly due to the extreme wear on the inner shoulders, due to the car apparently not being aligned from the factory. I only noticed when I rotated the tires.

Anyhow, I replaced them with the Vredestein Quatrac5, which are like the CC2 in that they are snow-rated. Efficiency was amazing, about 250Wh/m avg, at least as good if not better than the OEM Michelins, and snow traction was fine. After 3 winters with those, I put on a new set of Vredestiens the QuatracPro. It's not quite as efficient, maybe 5% worse than OEM, though improving over time. Rain performance is excellent, and snow performance is good, but not quite as good as true snow tires. I've only had them for one winter, so I've got two more to go before I consider my next tire, but maybe the CC3. I'm assuming Michelin will have their 3rd version by then. Ha! Or, if my Cybertruck comes, then I'll sell my 3 to my brother in LA. He wants a Tesla he can drive up to Mammoth, so it has to be AWD.

Personally, my buying priority has always been safety over saving money. Making it thru 3 winters, and 30-40k miles, is plenty as far as I'm concerned. I just don't think running a set of tires, a 4th winter, with less than half the original tread is going to perform all that well in snow, or at least not up to its original level. YMMV.

All of the "EV" tires use a very stiff tread and a very hard compound. Not conducive to good traction. Their goal is to achieve a low rolling resistance to get a good EPA rating. Nothing more. Then there is that foam liner. If the car would sit at low temperatures overnight that liner would get stiff. Like riding on square tires for the first few miles.

Remember, rolling resistance is linear with an increase in speed. Air resistance is exponential. So, a slight increase in rolling resistance may show up in low speed driving. At 75 MPH it may not be noticed.
Nice I like the detail but there are others that only believe power point, got the graphs?
My physics book only has 3 parts of an atom.

Reactions: rpiotro
I must be rough on my car. I'm starting to look for my 4th set of tires now with only 36K miles on. I drive roughly 80% city though with regenerative breaking on all the time.

I will say that I went cheaper on my last set and was not please with tread life as it will have only lasted me roughly 15K miles.

I must be rough on my car. I'm starting to look for my 4th set of tires now with only 36K miles on. I drive roughly 80% city though with regenerative breaking on all the time.

I will say that I went cheaper on my last set and was not please with tread life as it will have only lasted me roughly 15K miles.

Nah...you are driving it right. I assume you have a M3P? 😁

I'm going through tires around 12-15k miles (PS4S). I've switched to PS AS4 to get some more life out of them. I'm hoping to last at least 20k miles.

I’m very satisfied with the Mich PSAS4s for wear, quietness and ride
Planning the future, i just priced replacing the Mich for the same vs Hankook iON EVOs
NY metro, Costco vs Walmart and the cost is fairly the same
one has wear rating of 500 and one 320
one has warranty 45k and one 50k
ill keep my on one rhe EVOs but as of now my plan is Michelin again
nor happy with rapid wear of conti procontacts
Curiosity, starting to watch Turanza EVs

I’m very satisfied with the Mich PSAS4s for wear, quietness and ride
Planning the future, i just priced replacing the Mich for the same vs Hankook iON EVOs
NY metro, Costco vs Walmart and the cost is fairly the same
one has wear rating of 500 and one 320
one has warranty 45k and one 50k
ill keep my on one rhe EVOs but as of now my plan is Michelin again
nor happy with rapid wear of conti procontacts

I think the PSAS4 is definitely louder than my PS4S but if I get longer wear, it will be worth it. I have a 2019 so its loud in the cabin no matter what 😁

I'm in the EU and saw some 'stones on a blue M3LR and was going to come back to see if they were the new tires, but it left.

In 2 years I will need tires and hope by then Bridgestones are a known quantity.

To sidetrack, they have a weird SUV brand here called Lync&Co (model is 001 or 01). The wheels have asymmetric blue highlights and overall a decent looking car. Apparently it's a brother of the Polestar brand we get in the US.

Lots of EV action here, including chargers at most gas stations/rest stops.

I have the cross climate 2's on my 18" set and love them. They perform great in snow and ice, see my profile pic with 8 hours of 8" blizzard snow driving. They also have all season flexibility to be driven year round. Thats super important to me living in Texas where it can be 90 degrees in the winter. They didn't seem any louder than stock 20" Pirelli's that came on my model 3 performance. Being 18" they ride ride much softer but thats more the larger rubber than the tire.

Downsides are they aren't as good in snow/ice as a dedicated winter tire. They obviously have way less dry/wet grip than a summer tire. They actually have quite a bit less dry/wet grip than some of the better all seasons. They are rated B for traction instead of A or AA as most all seasons/summer tires are. So if you rarely will have snow and ice then I would've gone with a better all season instead. If you need one tire that can do it all and concerned of snow/ice then its a great option.