Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Factory Custom Painted Model S !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's talk, Hank, if you feel the same way (or anybody else who might want it, but Hank gets first dibs). Moved to a city where the traffic police are just nuts, and I don't want to find out how much attraction this gets, so it has just been sitting in the garage, plugged in, unused. I'd rather somebody have it who's going to use it, and that's just not me any more.

If @HankLloydRight doesn't jump on it immediately, you probably want to post more pictures and price into the 'For Sale' thread.
I do love that purple too, but there's no room in the garage for a second roadster!
Is the leather interior 'standard' or was that 'redone' also in something less usual (like suede or something)?

The makes no sense. The entire unibody(which includes the panels) is welded together prior to being painted.
The way it was described to me is that they took everything off the line just as it was going into the paint shop, put it on a truck, got it back a few days later, and put it back on the production line. Whatever goes into the paint shop is how it is sent out.

The way it was described to me is that they took everything off the line just as it was going into the paint shop, put it on a truck, got it back a few days later, and put it back on the production line. Whatever goes into the paint shop is how it is sent out.

Which seems perfectly reasonable. I just wanted to point out that it isn't a bunch of panels. The 5 doors and hood of course don't need to be attached.

If @HankLloydRight doesn't jump on it immediately, you probably want to post more pictures and price into the 'For Sale' thread.
I do love that purple too, but there's no room in the garage for a second roadster!
Is the leather interior 'standard' or was that 'redone' also in something less usual (like suede or something)?

Will do, but when I bought it, I was written immediately by several people who wanted to, lacking a better phrase, "take a number," in case I ever sold. Sure. If they all pass, if I've not changed my mind about selling, I'll do that.

I don't know if the leather interior was standard, but I suspect it was. Alcantra was an $1,800 upgrade from that, and unless anybody knows differently, I'd just think Tesla used that instead of the leather and the leather seats when putting it together. Perhaps somebody knows better than I, but I understand from the dealer and a couple other sources alcantra interiors were/are very rare. In terms of seats/interior, I didn't really understand what I had my hands on when I got it due to it being called diff things, microfiber, alcantra, and window sticker saying $1,800 was paid extra, but not specifying WHAT the interior was. Bigger fish to fry. People at Tesla told me that others would probably want to trade me on the seats (which actually then did happen) for their leather ones, but I'd be a complete idiot to make that trade.

In terms of the "one-off" color, I did literally dozens of hours of research to verify that it indeed, is the only one stock true purple. My understanding after spending "forever" (ungodly dozens of hours) getting firm verification its the only one, was that Tesla DID NOT keep a list somewhere of the "one off colors." I talked to a crazy number of people at Tesla, like 20(?!?), over time, and the only thing I was told was that "I've never seen another in that [stock] color. Nope. Never heard of one, never seen one" I did have a lot of employees ask me all quizzically "are you SURE the car was made that way?" LOL, yes, quite sure.

Choosing a custom color was a six grand upgrade on purchase (at least it was for 2010). And maybe there's people who got that done without connections, but I was told that mainly, money alone wouldn't do it, it took knowing somebody like Franz on the design team to get approval. Rather funny that there's two lilacs out there in roadster world, and apparently only one lotus aubergine, but there you have it. I wish to goodness there were a list of how many made in each color, and maybe there is, but nobody I talked to knows of any such list, especially for the "one offs."

FWIW, George Martin's purple S (the only stock one I know of there, too) is lovely, but it's a far more bluish purple. Unless you're world-famous, like George, I'm told the chances of anybody getting their Tesla a custom color, no matter how much money you throw at it, is about net zero.

So yeah. If everybody who I'm reciprocating courtesy to who asked me for a chance at it passes, like Hank did, for whatever reasons, I'll list ... but we're a community here, so I thought it best that I go down the list first to last with people who kindly went out of their way for notification if I were to ever sell.

I have two other boring cars, and in a city you cannot drive a few miles without seeing a car pulled over for (from what I hear, going just a few miles per hour above the limit).

It was important to me when I got this car that it NOT get a TON of attention. I just don't like that. Been there, done that, with other cars. I had talked to other roadster owners and they said "not a big deal, you'll be fine." The only reasonable explanation is the color, but that's just not at all the case with this car. :/ In the few miles I drove over the year, you get all the usual: 1) People driving literally out of their lane with somebody hanging out the window to get a picture, 2) every guy with four wheels trying to engage you in a race (I don't race, period), and 3) routinely coming out to a car parked in the boons for safety versus other cars in the lot, to people standing their with their phone cameras and a list of questions when you come back to your car. :/ For those who like that stuff, cool ... but been there, done that, I'm over it, and getting attention for what we drive is just not for me anymore.

best,

Sterling

I don't know if the leather interior was standard, but I suspect it was. Alcantra was an $1,800 upgrade from that, and unless anybody knows differently, I'd just think Tesla used that instead of the leather and the leather seats when putting it together.

Tesla called it "Microfibre". Not the same as Alcantara I think.
It was an option from the beginning. Not a huge uptake. I would think less than 10% of roadster opted for that seating material.
The original owner of yours must have specified that seating material when they ordered it.
(I don't think Tesla would ever randomly use it. All Roadsters were "made to order.")