Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Factory pick up policy effective Oct 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found out today that Tesla has a new mandatory "Express" option for pickups at the factory that went into effect October 1st. The delivery center will be completely unstaffed, exact quote: "There will be no one available to help with your delivery." In order for your vehicle to be moved into one of the pick-up slots, you must pre-pay on the website at least 24 hours in advance.

On the day of your delivery, you'll get a text sometime between 9am and 9pm telling you which parking spot your vehicle is in. When you get the text you accept delivery and proceed to the Factory. ("We require you to 'Accept Delivery' in your Tesla account after you have received your text notification"). By then the car is in your account, and you can use the app to unlock and drive away.

Unfortunately, this sort of piles onto my absolute nightmare of a delivery process: California waiting room Q3

I wanted to see the vehicle before I pay, and was planning to pay by check. It's already written since they wanted me there on the 30th. I got 4 calls on 9/30 making sure I could get there on short notice. At 11pm I got a text it wasn't happening, and that I'd hear more on the 1st. Then nothing until just now when I got the above email. About at my wits end at this point.

This policy was already in effect when I went on 9/30 as well. Unless you have a trade-in you literally will not talk to anyone. Any issues with your MY outside of a straight rejection will be done via the app and submitting a SC request

That's interesting. Their lead said they were still accepting checks on 9/30 but stopped that night. That's how I was scheduled to pay when I had my 9/30 delivery slot. If true, they would have gotten a surprise when I showed up having trusted what all 4 people who called that day told me was true. :D

Tomorrow is day 7 of the 7-day return policy. Still don't have my car. I texted my contact there who said repairs were done but they want the service team to walk me through the car... but they left for the day (meanwhile, the repair invoice was on my phone at noon... and didn't show all the issues I reported as being addressed). And when I asked that the 7 day clock start when I actually GET the car, the response I got was "it will take a while because it has to be approved by Tesla executives". Well, I don't HAVE a while. I made this request 6 days ago.

Needless to say, I called my local sales center, explained the issue, and told them I want to be matched to a new car... and I'll wait as long as it takes... and If they're not going to do that, I'll return the one I (don't) have.

Worst customer experience ever. Hands down. When I stated that to the SA, he chuckled, "yup, it's a different experience for sure... and Tesla is definitely different". Total joke.

Tomorrow is day 7 of the 7-day return policy. Still don't have my car. I texted my contact there who said repairs were done but they want the service team to walk me through the car... but they left for the day (meanwhile, the repair invoice was on my phone at noon... and didn't show all the issues I reported as being addressed). And when I asked that the 7 day clock start when I actually GET the car, the response I got was "it will take a while because it has to be approved by Tesla executives". Well, I don't HAVE a while. I made this request 6 days ago.

Needless to say, I called my local sales center, explained the issue, and told them I want to be matched to a new car... and I'll wait as long as it takes... and If they're not going to do that, I'll return the one I (don't) have.

Worst customer experience ever. Hands down. When I stated that to the SA, he chuckled, "yup, it's a different experience for sure... and Tesla is definitely different". Total joke.

Please keep us updated on what happens. Thanks.

Sounds like if you arrange it with them, you can pay by ACH at the delivery appointment after having a look at the exterior of the vehicle. To look at the inside you need to accept the car to get access. I feel like most of the things Tesla is refusing to fix are on the outside, so this sounds like a workable compromise to me. Still think this shows how badly we need some competition here, though.

Sounds like if you arrange it with them, you can pay by ACH at the delivery appointment after having a look at the exterior of the vehicle. To look at the inside you need to accept the car to get access. I feel like most of the things Tesla is refusing to fix are on the outside, so this sounds like a workable compromise to me. Still think this shows how badly we need some competition here, though.

I didn't pay my final balance until I accepted delivery, and I didn't accept delivery before inspecting the interior. It's not unreasonable to insist on a full inspection prior to final payment. Let me be clear, given Tesla's well known struggle with initial quality, it's not unreasonable to insist on a full inspection prior to final payment. If you have a human present at delivery, ask them to open the car. They can and will.

I didn't pay my final balance until I accepted delivery, and I didn't accept delivery before inspecting the interior. It's not unreasonable to insist on a full inspection prior to final payment. Let me be clear, given Tesla's well known struggle with initial quality, it's not unreasonable to insist on a full inspection prior to final payment. If you have a human present at delivery, ask them to open the car. They can and will.
I picked mine up today. There were no humans present. It was pretty much as promised: "There will be no one available to help with your delivery."

I did ask ahead of time who to contact if there's an issue, and was told to call the normal customer service number.

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve