Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New fatal crash in Holland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car makers of all kinds submit cars to fire depts to develop rescue procedures.
My son and I watched the LAFD cut open a brand new luxury car as a demonstration during a defensive driving school. They know exactly how to cut the doors off, remove the glass safely, and cut the pillers to remove or peel back the roof to extract victims. It takes just a few minutes.

Cars also disconnect the fuel pump or main pack relay at the time the airbags are triggered, but sometime even when they are not. They read an accelerometer and an orientation sensor and it shuts them off. A good owner's manual will tell you how to enable it if it accidently shuts the car off when the collision is not significant.

Not a single report talks about fire in the cabin while they all mention the fire of the battery on the road. Likely no fire in the cabin. The discoloration of the airbag may simply be due to lighting. The first incident happened early in the morning, before dawn.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
Big trees don't move, and they don't absorb impacts. Not good to hit one at speed. It's like a head on collision, and if you have ever noticed, head on collisions are frequently fatal. The S can absorb some of the impact on it's own, but it's kind of a worse case scenario. You can die just from the rapid deceleration, even if there is no cabin intrusion.

I do wonder if maybe Tesla could build an auto-battery disconnect linked to air bag deployment. That could help reduce electrocution risks and fears when rescuing occupants from a Tesla that has been in a serious collision.

First of al, I find it a tad tasteless to jump immediately to the question or even conclusions that AP was involved, that the driver fell asleep, or anything else. For all that's known now he might have had a heart attack or brain infarct, and been dead or dying before the actual accident occurred. A person just died, let's respect that and wait and see what investigations and autopsy tell us.

Secondly, Dutch firefighters are indeed aware and trained in how to deal with electric cars after setting up protocols starting in 2009. ....

Yes, it's getting slightly ghoulish.

An accident early in the morning on such a road - I would also consider the involvement of wildlife (deer, wild boar) as a possible aspect.

As to rescue instructions; Mercedes is putting QR codes with rescue information on their cars now. That looks like a good idea to me.

At this point, they don't even know if the driver was alive at the time of the crash.

As @ecarfan posted, based on the reported fact that *part* of the battery was found burning on the road, the impact speed must have been substantial enough to not only detatch the battery from the car, but also to rip it apart.

Having personally seen the immediate aftermath of an ICE accident where the driver suffered a heart attack, causing him to press hard on the gas pedal and drive into a lamp-post at "over 70mph", I can see this a likely scenario.

Whatever the cause, it is a tragic accident and thoughts are with his family.

It is yet unknown if the function was actually engaged.
- Why would a journalist speculate it might have been active without any evidence it was? Even if Autopilot was active, does Autopilot have to do with this unfortunate incident?

The firemen tried to extinguish the part of the battery that caught fire with powder but that didn't work due to continuing short circuits.
- The same thing could happen to any Automobile.

This incident, while unfortunate, does not deserve it's own thread. :cool:

- Why would a journalist speculate it might have been active without any evidence it was? Even if Autopilot was active, does Autopilot have to do with this unfortunate incident?

- The same thing could happen to any Automobile.

This incident, while unfortunate, does not deserve it's own thread. :cool:
That is true. If that journalist is wrong....he/she needs to be fined and/or fired.

Reactions: drinkerofkoolaid