Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New feature: Autosteer Stop Light Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is apparently new in the 2019.8.3 firmware:

Autosteer Stop Light Warning

Your car may warn you in some cases if it detects that you are about to run a red light while Autosteer is in use. This is not a substitute for an attentive driver and will not stop the car.
ACd17Wr.jpg

Photo by u/IV-Crush on Reddit.

Reactions: GSP and diplomat33
WTF... guy is testing this out on busy streets... and he has to slam on the brakes.... AND COULD HAVE RUN OVER THAT 5 YEAR OLD ON A BIKE?!?!??!?!?

I'm watching this with the volume off, so I may not have the context but that is reeaally dumb.

Reactions: P85_DA
WTF... guy is testing this out on busy streets... and he has to slam on the brakes.... AND COULD HAVE RUN OVER THAT 5 YEAR OLD ON A BIKE?!?!??!?!?

I'm watching this with the volume off, so I may not have the context but that is reeaally dumb.

I didnt want to reward the guy with the clicks so I didnt watch. I think we shouldnt link to these type of videos, it just encourages the idiots making them to make more.

I didnt want to reward the guy with the clicks so I didnt watch. I think we shouldnt link to these type of videos, it just encourages the idiots making them to make more.

If you don't test something how do you know it works? Are you just going to take musk's word for it? I give this guy credit for giving Tesla the benefit of the doubt and testing it out. He was in control of the vehicle and waiting to see a notification that a red light was ahead but no notification.

Reactions: unexpectedkAs
If you don't test something how do you know it works? Are you just going to take musk's word for it? I give this guy credit for giving Tesla the benefit of the doubt and testing it out. He was in control of the vehicle and waiting to see a notification that a red light was ahead but no notification.
Seeing something like this just reinforces my feeling that FSD is at minimum a decade away.

Seeing something like this just reinforces my feeling that FSD is at minimum a decade away.

Reading stop signs in itself should not be that hard, after all EyeQ2 from MobilEye did it already a decade ago. It is making a useful implementation of it for self-driving that is harder because there is so much more to take into consideration...

Then again Tesla seems to be struggling with the basic vision bit, just like in other aspects of Autopilot 2+ too...

Last edited:

There is a limit to what the public should test on public streets. Did you test out your AEB to make sure it reduces crash velocity by 25mph by rear ending a car in front of you? Of course not. Attempting to run red lights with other traffic in the area is a similar thing. The guy could get rear ended or not be able to stop in time all in the name of "testing".

These systems should be tested by Tesla and the various testing agencies on private roads/courses. Not Joe Q. YouTuber.

There is a limit to what the public should test on public streets. Did you test out your AEB to make sure it reduces crash velocity by 25mph by rear ending a car in front of you? Of course not. Attempting to run red lights with other traffic in the area is a similar thing. The guy could get rear ended or not be able to stop in time all in the name of "testing".

These systems should be tested by Tesla and the various testing agencies on private roads/courses. Not Joe Q. YouTuber.
just call it 'beta' and you can do whatever you want with zero liability

Reactions: am_dmd