Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "feature" I found - you must exit from the driver's door or else...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was cleaning the inside of my windshield and did a little maneuver that confused my MS. I got in on the driver side, closed the door and started cleaning the inside of the windshield, I then slid over to the front passenger seat to clean the other end of the windshield and then opened the passenger door and exited. Then, I tried to lock the car by pressing the FOB button - my MS flashed its lights at me and refused to "lock". I checked all doors and they were tightly locked. Finally, I had to open and close the driver door and then it responded positively to my key FOB to lock.

Could it be the MS is tracking that I entered through the driver's door but did not exit through it. Why would it do that?

I will try it again tonight to repro this "feature"

I can reproduce this. A key step is that you must turn the car on by pressing on the brakes before you exit. Then the lights turn on and does not shutdown after you exit and press the key to lock. After the handles retract, the screens in the car and headlight remain on. strange!

I can reproduce this. A key step is that you must turn the car on by pressing on the brakes before you exit. Then the lights turn on and does not shutdown after you exit and press the key to lock. After the handles retract, the screens in the car and headlight remain on. strange!
Electromagnetic field exists that runs through center of vehicle, causes rip in space/time continuum when you pass through it, generating two versions of you in parallel universes. MS senses that version 1 has not left the vehicle?

I sense the potential for this to be a fun thread. Who is going to be the first to climb out of his S via the right rear window and report back.... ;)

This could be useful at a car show. I kept the drivers door ajar so the screen would stay lit. But one guy just went and sat down without asking. Using your technique would keep the screen on with doors closed. FYI always leave the UMC plugged into the charge port to immobilize the car at shows. Wouldn't want someone like that accidentally driving your car into a crowd of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I also discovered that the car will not turn off if you don't exit from the driver side. For example, one time I parked really close to a wall on the driver side and so I slid over to the passenger seat and got out that way. The car stayed on even after shutting the door. In this situation, I was still able to get near the driver side door, crack it open, and then shut it, which turned the car off.

There's a thread elsewhere about people desperately trying to keep their head lights on while no one is in the car, for photographing purposes. All kinds of things were suggested, including putting a sand bag on the driver's seat. Now This seems to be the adequate solution for That problem. :)

But the tight parking spot scenario where you HAVE to leave on the passenger side, is a MAJOR concern for me. All my previous cars had NO problem WHATSOEVER with me leaving by way of the passenger door and I absolutely NEED this!! I'm afraid I'll have to CANCEL MY RESERVATION if Tesla doesn't fix this ASAP!!!!

Seriously though, seems more like a glitch than a feature to me. And there is some real world validity to the tight parking spot scenario. Just the other day someone wrote in these forums: This car is way ahead of me... Now it occurs to me, that sometimes this car is way ahead of itself... ;-)

Last edited:
Electromagnetic field exists that runs through center of vehicle, causes rip in space/time continuum when you pass through it, generating two versions of you in parallel universes. MS senses that version 1 has not left the vehicle?

Actually both versions of you are quantum entangled. Until someone actually observes one of you exiting the driver side door, you are neither inside nor outside the car and therefore the car cannot turn off. Simple quantum mechanics. There's nothing Tesla can do.

Last edited:
I am sure this is another WTF moment for the programmers at Tesla Motors. Maybe there should be an option on the screen to turn the car off before you exit the car other than thru the driver door.

The car is obviously not idiot proof and I am sure owners will find other glitches along the way. I doubt it will be different for other OEM's.

Actually both versions of you are quantum entangled. Until someone actually observes one of you actually exiting the driver side door, you are neither inside nor outside the car and therefore the car cannot turn off. Simple quantum mechanics. There's nothing Tesla can do.

So now I am Schrödinger's cat????

- - - Updated - - -

I am sure this is another WTF moment for the programmers at Tesla Motors. Maybe there should be an option on the screen to turn the car off before you exit the car other than thru the driver door.

The car is obviously not idiot proof and I am sure owners will find other glitches along the way. I doubt it will be different for other OEM's.

Being in the software biz, I am more amused at this "feature" than anything else - it goes to show "features" or "bugs" can crop up easily when interfacing with human behavior that is unpredictable.

I'm pretty sure I've done this before (parking garage in NYC where I was so close I couldn't get out of the drivers side), but didn't have this issue and was able to turn off and lock. I am still on 4.4 though. I should verify this again to make sure I am not making up anything LOL so until then take my comment for a grain of salt. Perhaps I'll try this a little later. Are you all on 4.5?

The car should go off after 10 or 15 minutes if nobody touches the screen, but agree this is likely just a little missed case on the programming side.

On second thought, did you try walking away? I bet when it senses the Fob leaving the proximity, it might lock and close up shop. Does it?

When thinking about the finite state machine, this behavior makes a certain amount of sense. You want the car to stop and turn off when the driver has left the vehicle. For some very high percentage of situations, it's reasonable to assume this requires the the driver's door to open. You don't want the car to turn off if the driver happens to unbuckle his seat belt, tosses the fob out of the window, or shifts his weight in his seat. In fact this may have been part of the software fix that kept the car from stopping suddenly when you momentarily lifted your butt out of the seat.

It seems that I keep running into situations where my gf and I ride someplace in the P85 and I have to run in to the store/house/burning building/bank/etc.

The car shuts down - which means that Kim is without audio entertainment... which means that everyone is at risk!

I think that I may have to begin exiting by climbing over Kim and through the pax door!